Zero Tolerance problem

A place to share, learn, & show off sharpening tips, tricks, techniques, & tools for sharpening edges of all kinds.
Waxpad

Zero Tolerance problem

Post by Waxpad »

Folks, I bought a ZT 450 not long ago, and it really wasn’t that sharp when I bought it. Anyway, I decided that I’d touch up the edge the other day, and am having very limited results. I’ve tried Soft Arkansas, hard Arkansas, carborundum, crock sticks, and even my Lansky sharpener (at 20 degree angle).
Nothing seems to work. Any ideas? Is the steel that blasted hard? Or am I doing something wrong. I’ve been sharpening knives for 50 years, and this one has me stumped.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Zero Tolerance problem

Post by 1967redrider »

Which blade steel is it? I haven't had to try sharpening my Elmax yet.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

It sounds as if the knife may not have a good bevel on the edge. When I get a knife that is dull, one that I have never sharpened, I start with a very coarse stone. Much more coarse than a soft Arkansas. One of those big old combination stones from the hardware store like the one at the top in this photo.
Stones
Stones
After I have got a decent bevel on the blade I usually switch to a soft Arkansas like the one at the bottom.
Mel
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Per my limited research it says the ZT 450 has S35VN steel. I don’t have a knife with that steel. Those I do have that have high wear resistant steel respond best to a Diamond stone. That works best for me on 154CM and 440C. Depending on the existing edge it sounds as though starting with a course stone and working up to fine might be what’s needed.

A good affordable solution that comes with those diamond stones is the WorkSharp Guided Sharpening System. viewtopic.php?f=113&t=66915&p=838741&hi ... rp#p836952

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Working Edge

Post by Working Edge »

In a word, yes, that steel is that blasted hard, and the stones you mentioned will not cut this steel nearly as quickly as you may be accustomed with the older, "non-super" steels.

Also, the ceramic rods really are more about putting a quick microbevel on an established edge than they are about attempting to cut a full bevel.

I would recommend diamond stones or plates, to give you the cutting speed to which you are accustomed, and all that is required to cut super-steel on those diamond stones is a light touch instead of heavy pressure.

Hope this helps..!
Mark
Praise the Lord,
Pass the ammunition
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Waxpad, you are getting some very good advise from experienced people here. But something you may wish to look at, wont necessarily help with this particular issue, but may help you in the future with your sharpening. You said you have ceramic crock sticks, A G Russell have diamond coated crock sticks, i have a set and they are really good to put and edge back on a blade, then working your way through the ceramic grits to get a razor edge. Just a thought mate. ::handshake::
Waxpad

Post by Waxpad »

Wow, guys! Thanks for all the info! This is the first one of these “super-hard” steels I’ve ever tried to work with. I thought some of the CaseXX were hard to sharpen.😬
Looks like I’m gonna be in the market for a diamond plate! Thanks again for all the help, greatly appreciated!👍
Working Edge

Post by Working Edge »

cudgee wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:54 pm Waxpad, you are getting some very good advise from experienced people here. But something you may wish to look at, wont necessarily help with this particular issue, but may help you in the future with your sharpening. You said you have ceramic crock sticks, A G Russell have diamond coated crock sticks, i have a set and they are really good to put and edge back on a blade, then working your way through the ceramic grits to get a razor edge. Just a thought mate. ::handshake::
Cudgee, that diamond crock stick is a great suggestion...!!
Praise the Lord,
Pass the ammunition
Working Edge

Post by Working Edge »

Waxpad wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:15 am Wow, guys! Thanks for all the info! This is the first one of these “super-hard” steels I’ve ever tried to work with. I thought some of the CaseXX were hard to sharpen.😬
Looks like I’m gonna be in the market for a diamond plate! Thanks again for all the help, greatly appreciated!👍
You are most welcome...!!!
👍👍
Praise the Lord,
Pass the ammunition
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Working Edge wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:12 am
cudgee wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:54 pm Waxpad, you are getting some very good advise from experienced people here. But something you may wish to look at, wont necessarily help with this particular issue, but may help you in the future with your sharpening. You said you have ceramic crock sticks, A G Russell have diamond coated crock sticks, i have a set and they are really good to put and edge back on a blade, then working your way through the ceramic grits to get a razor edge. Just a thought mate. ::handshake::
Cudgee, that diamond crock stick is a great suggestion...!!
Mark, just posting my A G Russell diamond crock sticks. If you are looking at purchasing some, i would suggest getting the whole kit, box and rods, works out a lot more economical. The box is really well made and stores the sticks. Has a 15 degree angle, i don't know what you are using now, but if you have a lansky set, this will add another angle to sharpen with. You would then have 15, 20, and 25 degree angles, this will give you some more micro-bevel angles as well.
IMAG0511.jpg
IMAG0512.jpg
Working Edge

Post by Working Edge »

cudgee,

I very well may go check that out, in person....A.G. Russell is just about 10 miles down the road from where I live...!!
Been here in Arkansas over a year now, and been meaning to stop in their store; now I have a valid excuse for doing so... :lol:
Thanks again,
Mark
Praise the Lord,
Pass the ammunition

Return to “Sharpening Forum”