Sharpening advice for Schrade Uncle Henry 171 Pro Hunter

A place to share, learn, & show off sharpening tips, tricks, techniques, & tools for sharpening edges of all kinds.
Mark in PA

Sharpening advice for Schrade Uncle Henry 171 Pro Hunter

Post by Mark in PA »

I'm about ready to sharpen a Schrade Uncle Henry 171 Pro Hunter. Currently it is duller than a door nail after doing some refinishing work on the blade. I'm trying to figure out what kind of edge to put on it. I'm trying to figure out what the intended purpose of this knife is. It's a big heavy knife with a thick blade. It' has a 6" long blade and is almost 3/16" thick. It's too short to be used in a chopping fashion. I'm not sure if I want to put a long narrow bevel on it for the edge or if I want to put a short and wide bevel on it. My initial thoughts is that since it's a large, strong knife, then maybe I should put a more durable edge on it.
FRJ

Re: Sharpening advice for Schrade Uncle Henry 171 Pro Hunter

Post by FRJ »

If you have done any sharpening at all you will probably figure it out.
They cut best when sharp.
Joe
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

"Pro Hunter" so it is intended to be used to field dress ungulates (mainly deer, moose, elk). I prefer a thin edge that slices easily. I do not use my hunting knives to try to chop into bone or joints. It is not necessary.
Some people prefer a thicker stronger edge so the edge is not dulled as easily by contact with bone.
I think a drop point blade makes for a far better hunting knife than the Schrade 171.
kj
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Long then edge on just about everything. Ymmv
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Mark in PA

Post by Mark in PA »

kootenay joe wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:10 am "Pro Hunter" so it is intended to be used to field dress ungulates (mainly deer, moose, elk). I prefer a thin edge that slices easily. I do not use my hunting knives to try to chop into bone or joints. It is not necessary.
Some people prefer a thicker stronger edge so the edge is not dulled as easily by contact with bone.
I think a drop point blade makes for a far better hunting knife than the Schrade 171.
kj
I agree, I am not sold on this knife either. It kind of reminds me of something a bunch of boys would get there hands on for an overnight stay in the woods to chop on whatever wood they could find or whatever else there imagination could come up with. It seems like so many other knives are much more functional. When I pick this knife up it makes me think that maybe I should be going find my axe.
Working Edge

Post by Working Edge »

Mark,

I'm thinking 30 degrees per side makes for a nice durable edge on a heavy, thick blade such as yours.
Sort-of mid-way between a slicer and a chopper, and the knife will do acceptably well at both.
Mark
Praise the Lord,
Pass the ammunition

Return to “Sharpening Forum”