WSGSS - Work Sharp Guided Sharpening System

A place to share, learn, & show off sharpening tips, tricks, techniques, & tools for sharpening edges of all kinds.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

WSGSS - Work Sharp Guided Sharpening System

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I’m an old school sharpener. After learning from my grandfather how to sharpen freehand using whetstones, that’s what I’ve always used. In the past few years I’ve looked at diamond stones, but never bought one. Until now.

After some looking and wondering about diamond hones for years, I saw an ad in the new Field & Stream magazine for the Work Sharp Guided Sharpening System (WSGSS) which caught my interest. I first thought “I don’t need no stinking guide”. :lol: But after I looked at a couple of YouTube videos I learned the “guide” is just a simple angle block (Interchangeable for different angles) attached to the ends of the hone. Something like those on the old Robeson “Sharp Stick” hone - no locking guide rods or clamps. So I bought the WSGSS, along with the optional accessories kit (found them both on sale through Amazon).

It was delivered yesterday, and all I can say is “Wow!” Last night right out of the box I sharpened seven three-blade pocket knives and a fixed blade, to a shaving or near-shaving edge (I stopped before I got to shaving - my choice, not anything to do with the sharpener) in about the time it would have taken to sharpen just one or two knives using conventional stones. I’m a hard case, and I’m sold! (Full disclosure - at first I did have to concentrate to make full use of the stone “tilt” feature, since my old muscle memory wanted to turn my wrist to sharpen the curved part of the blade - something not required on this system.)

I’m going to link to an independent YouTube video review that shows how it operates. ::tu::

Ken

Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: WSGSS - Work Sharp Guided Sharpening System

Post by dlr110 »

Ken, my granddad and my dad tried to teach me how to sharpen with just a pocket stone, but I'm too uncoordinated I guess. One time when I was at SHC in Lebanon, MO. after my purchase the manager gave me one of those only it was the small yellow one. If I take my time I can get a pretty good edge on a blade with it.
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I may be looking at getting one. I have coordination issues (have had it since I was well, born); and it's hard to hold a consistent angle. That can result in recurves, scratches on the blade, or worse. The rigs with ceramic rods that stick into pre-angled holes in a base (I have the Lansky Turnbox) clog up quickly, and are a pain to keep the knife straight. My results are OK with ordinary stones at a freehand angle. This is closer to freehand, but with a little help to keep the knife at the right angle.

And, the 25" angle with the expansion kit is closer to what my working knives often have. Not exactly a razor, but holds long and is sharp enough. Plus, cheaper than a Sharpmaker; by about half.
thankgod4rkids

Post by thankgod4rkids »

I use an older base model worksharp also Ken. My son gave them as a gift to his groomsmen and to me. I left it lay for a while as back up. Now I have one handy in the kitchen, in my pickup, and at work. Mine have a coarse and fine plates, two grades of ceramic rod and a leather strop. Love it for quick touch ups.
I may need to upgrade to the full size. Thanks for posting this video
Bill
Attachments
20200604_222008.jpg

Return to “Sharpening Forum”