Break in of new stone?

A place to share, learn, & show off sharpening tips, tricks, techniques, & tools for sharpening edges of all kinds.
FRJ

Re: Break in of new stone?

Post by FRJ »

I switched from oil to water on some of my stones. ........... Water, the worlds greatest solvent! ::nod::
Joe
TPK

Post by TPK »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:43 pm
TPK wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:39 pm ::hmm:: If you used water on a new stone over a longer timeframe, and then you decided you would like to try it with oil, could you just change & start useing oil on it?

I'd guess from oil to water would not work because the oil would be in the stone but from water to oil should work because the water dries out of the stone. ::shrug::
I probably don’t know any better, but I switched from oil to water and did not change stones. I just cleaned the stone (carborundum) using warm soapy water and a stiff brush and rinsed it thoroughly when done. Then started using water. Whether oil or water, the purpose of the liquid is to float, or wash away, the “slurry” which is the small metal particles removed from the blade during the sharpening process. Without any liquid those metal particles clog the pores in the stone, after which it doesn’t sharpen well.

As Mel mentioned, there are several good posts here with tips about sharpening. But the best way to learn is from an experienced “old-timer”. In Germany you may have a hard time finding any chewing tobacco and wearing bib overalls, but I guarantee there are some guys that know how to sharpen a knife using a stone! I met one myself several years ago in a small town “im Schwartzwald” (the Black Forest). We were staying at the rural “Gasthoff Tallblick” owned by him and his wife. We had a great time sharpening our knives (and drinking bier). :lol:

Ken
This is a public forum Ken. ::super_happy:: Shouldn't you say, don't try this at home. Sharpening knives & drinking beer. LOL! ::super_happy::
I'm gonna read around here some more & then probably buy a book about it. ::tu::
Thanks for your thoughts & feedback. ::handshake::

Tom
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

We are getting off topic here ... but I just happen to know that beer works just as good as water on a sharpening stone. So if a man were to be sitting on his back porch drinking a beer and decided to sharpen up his knife ... no need to go get some water or oil. I do keep a couple of Band-Aids in my wallet!
Mel
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Dinadan wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:32 pm We are getting off topic here ... but I just happen to know that beer works just as good as water on a sharpening stone. So if a man were to be sitting on his back porch drinking a beer and decided to sharpen up his knife ... no need to go get some water or oil. I do keep a couple of Band-Aids in my wallet!
I might use light beer for sharpening - it’s sure not any good for drinking! ::sotb::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:41 am
Dinadan wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:32 pm We are getting off topic here ... but I just happen to know that beer works just as good as water on a sharpening stone. So if a man were to be sitting on his back porch drinking a beer and decided to sharpen up his knife ... no need to go get some water or oil. I do keep a couple of Band-Aids in my wallet!
I might use light beer for sharpening - it’s sure not any good for drinking! ::sotb::

Ken
:lol: :lol: :lol: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::

Return to “Sharpening Forum”