Testing the Edge

A place to share, learn, & show off sharpening tips, tricks, techniques, & tools for sharpening edges of all kinds.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Testing the Edge

Post by edge213 »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:00 am Cutting a tomato is a lot like slicing bread. A "toothy" edge works better than a shaving edge. Same for cutting steak.

Ken
What he said ::tu:: ::tu::
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:00 am Cutting a tomato is a lot like slicing bread. A "toothy" edge works better than a shaving edge. Same for cutting steak.

Ken
I’ll add my amen there too. I’m not a fan of super highly polished edges on a pocket knife. Those belong on my straight razor.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Me three.
BatJak

Post by BatJak »

In my youth I thought I had to test the edge every time.
Filet a paper towel or cut phone book paper...
But I've been hand sharpening so long now that I just check for a wire edge and strop.
I will thumb the edge a bit and that tells me everything I need to know.
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

I like phonebook paper. If your edge can cleanly slice it (not saw it) they you have a pretty good edge. It also tells you if you have any small dull spots and saves you from having silly looking bald spots on your arm all the time.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

BatJak wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:32 pm In my youth I thought I had to test the edge every time.
But I've been hand sharpening so long now that I just check for a wire edge and strop.
::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
EeDeCe

Post by EeDeCe »

After sharpening every knife in the house, the arm hair thing wasn't feasible and started to look weird.
Paper test, a push test in different parts of the knife as opposed to a slice. Just a straight on push into the paper.
Also, I've lately been trying my hand at wood carving and have used wine corks to practice on. Now I find those, either real or synthetic, to be a pretty good way to compare sharpness.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

quote: "I will thumb the edge a bit and that tells me everything I need to know."

Yep.
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

BatJak wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:32 pm In my youth I thought I had to test the edge every time.
THis is what I do as well. I've learned to look very closely at the edge (practically studying it) - I can now see tiny flat spots or other issues with inconsistently sharpened bevels - to me, getting both bevels perfect all the way down to the edge with the Lansky rig under close inspection, then a feel for (lack of) a burr ... always comes up with "close enough" to me, as I know it will cut if it passes that test
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
AR Norby

Post by AR Norby »

I use cash register receipts. If it will cut those cleanly, i'm good. ::ds::
Perception is Reality
thankgod4rkids

Post by thankgod4rkids »

Railsplitter wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:35 pm At home I usually use phone book paper for the initial test but my favorite way to test sharpness is to cut some shrink wrap while it's tightly wrapped around a pallet. We have hundreds of shrink wrapped pallets at my workplace on any given day.

Once I get the blade sharpened to my satisfaction I'll take the knife to work with me and do a final test on some shrink wrap. The shrink wrap is delicate and it responds well to any imperfections that I might have missed along the edge. Fortunately, I rarely need to do any follow up honing but I use the final shrink wrap test to confirm that.
This made me laugh! It is also my method. I test on paper at home then take it to work. The shrink wrap will find any imperfections in a hurry.
Bill
Working Edge

Post by Working Edge »

I use my thumb for edge testing, followed by shaving of arm hair.
Sometimes I use the number of stitches as an indication of sharpness after inadvertently hooking my thumb over the edge while wiping down a freshly sharpened edge.
Just kidding about the stitches, but I do indeed use a lot of band-aids....!
Praise the Lord,
Pass the ammunition
Working Edge

Post by Working Edge »

I use my thumb for edge testing, followed by shaving of arm hair.
Sometimes I use the number of stitches as an indication of sharpness after inadvertently hooking my thumb over the edge while wiping down a freshly sharpened edge.
:lol:
Praise the Lord,
Pass the ammunition
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Working Edge wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:39 am I use my thumb for edge testing, followed by shaving of arm hair.
You're not the only one on band-aids sir. Right now I have one on my right thumb with a slice on the outside edge, the blade was sharp. On my left thumb is one not from a blade, but from a belt sander when I was shaping a knife handle.
Attachments
My CASE Band-Aid holder
My CASE Band-Aid holder
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Working Edge wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:39 am I use my thumb for edge testing, followed by shaving of arm hair.
When I sharpen kitchen knives I use a paper towel to clean the sharpening stone residue off the edge. The slightest bit of inattention and my thumb or finger needs band-aids. That is not my preferred method of checking sharpness, but it does work! I do not normally try to check the edge after sharpening. The first tomato or plum will be a test.
Mel
Working Edge

Post by Working Edge »

dlr110 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:46 am
You're not the only one on band-aids sir. Right now I have one on my right thumb with a slice on the outside edge, the blade was sharp. On my left thumb is one not from a blade, but from a belt sander when I was shaping a knife handle.
I find it comically ironic that Case offers a band-aid dispenser/holder....!
I wonder if Case holds shares of Band-Aid stocks???
🤣🤣🤣🔪🔪🔪🔪
Praise the Lord,
Pass the ammunition
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Working Edge wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:12 pm
dlr110 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:46 am
I find it comically ironic that Case offers a band-aid dispenser/holder....!
I wonder if Case holds shares of Band-Aid stocks???
🤣🤣🤣🔪🔪🔪🔪
I think we might be surprised at what all CASE and maybe some other companies have their logo's on.
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Doing some experimenting, want to get a number that will give an indication of sharpness. Same principal as a Bess tester, but not paying 5-6 hundred dollars for one. I'm not that desperate. Playing around with this, so far looks promising.
IMG_20220706_073931.jpg
StrawHat

Post by StrawHat »

I want to reopen this thread.

Using my thumbnail is impractical as is shaving my arm. Tomatoes or other food is wasteful.

What else do you folks do?

Kevin
Knowledge I take to the grave is wasted.
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

StrawHat wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:10 am I want to reopen this thread.

Using my thumbnail is impractical as is shaving my arm. Tomatoes or other food is wasteful.

Kevin
I just use the knife for what I normally use it for. That is the test.
Mel
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Dinadan wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:46 am I just use the knife for what I normally use it for. That is the test.
Here, here!
Joe
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Dinadan wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:46 am
StrawHat wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:10 am I want to reopen this thread.

Kevin
I just use the knife for what I normally use it for. That is the test.
::tu:: ::tu::
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Just finished touching this up, the good old paper receipt test, always gives a good guide for either a toothier or smoother edge.
IMG_20220914_115534.jpg
catspa

Post by catspa »

What if you need to return an item, do you tape all the shreds back together?

“I’m sorry sir, I can’t accept this knife for return without the original receipt in original condition.”

Guess you’re stuck with it (figuratively speaking).

Parker
Alien883

Post by Alien883 »

StrawHat wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:57 am I see in this section many threads about various ways to achieve a sharp edge. What I do not see is how you are testing that edge to determine if it is sharp.

So, boys and girls, what is your favorite method for testing the edge of a newly sharped blade?

Thank you.

Kevin
Roll up ur pants and start shaving ur leg...hair come off...Sharp!!!!

Return to “Sharpening Forum”