Testing the Edge

A place to share, learn, & show off sharpening tips, tricks, techniques, & tools for sharpening edges of all kinds.
cudgee

Re: Testing the Edge

Post by cudgee »

BatJak wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:32 pm In my youth I thought I had to test the edge every time.
Filet a paper towel or cut phone book paper...
But I've been hand sharpening so long now that I just check for a wire edge and strop.
I will thumb the edge a bit and that tells me everything I need to know.
::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
EeDeCe

Post by EeDeCe »

After sharpening every knife in the house, the arm hair thing wasn't feasible and started to look weird.
Paper test, a push test in different parts of the knife as opposed to a slice. Just a straight on push into the paper.
Also, I've lately been trying my hand at wood carving and have used wine corks to practice on. Now I find those, either real or synthetic, to be a pretty good way to compare sharpness.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

quote: "I will thumb the edge a bit and that tells me everything I need to know."

Yep.
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

BatJak wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:32 pm In my youth I thought I had to test the edge every time.
Filet a paper towel or cut phone book paper...
But I've been hand sharpening so long now that I just check for a wire edge and strop.
I will thumb the edge a bit and that tells me everything I need to know.
THis is what I do as well. I've learned to look very closely at the edge (practically studying it) - I can now see tiny flat spots or other issues with inconsistently sharpened bevels - to me, getting both bevels perfect all the way down to the edge with the Lansky rig under close inspection, then a feel for (lack of) a burr ... always comes up with "close enough" to me, as I know it will cut if it passes that test
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
AR Norby

Post by AR Norby »

I use cash register receipts. If it will cut those cleanly, i'm good. ::ds::
Perception is Reality
thankgod4rkids

Post by thankgod4rkids »

Railsplitter wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:35 pm At home I usually use phone book paper for the initial test but my favorite way to test sharpness is to cut some shrink wrap while it's tightly wrapped around a pallet. We have hundreds of shrink wrapped pallets at my workplace on any given day.

Once I get the blade sharpened to my satisfaction I'll take the knife to work with me and do a final test on some shrink wrap. The shrink wrap is delicate and it responds well to any imperfections that I might have missed along the edge. Fortunately, I rarely need to do any follow up honing but I use the final shrink wrap test to confirm that.
This made me laugh! It is also my method. I test on paper at home then take it to work. The shrink wrap will find any imperfections in a hurry.
Bill
Working Edge

Post by Working Edge »

I use my thumb for edge testing, followed by shaving of arm hair.
Sometimes I use the number of stitches as an indication of sharpness after inadvertently hooking my thumb over the edge while wiping down a freshly sharpened edge.
Just kidding about the stitches, but I do indeed use a lot of band-aids....!
Praise the Lord,
Pass the ammunition
Working Edge

Post by Working Edge »

I use my thumb for edge testing, followed by shaving of arm hair.
Sometimes I use the number of stitches as an indication of sharpness after inadvertently hooking my thumb over the edge while wiping down a freshly sharpened edge.
:lol:
Praise the Lord,
Pass the ammunition
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Working Edge wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:39 am I use my thumb for edge testing, followed by shaving of arm hair.
You're not the only one on band-aids sir. Right now I have one on my right thumb with a slice on the outside edge, the blade was sharp. On my left thumb is one not from a blade, but from a belt sander when I was shaping a knife handle.
Attachments
My CASE Band-Aid holder
My CASE Band-Aid holder
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Working Edge wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:39 am I use my thumb for edge testing, followed by shaving of arm hair.
When I sharpen kitchen knives I use a paper towel to clean the sharpening stone residue off the edge. The slightest bit of inattention and my thumb or finger needs band-aids. That is not my preferred method of checking sharpness, but it does work! I do not normally try to check the edge after sharpening. The first tomato or plum will be a test.
Mel
Working Edge

Post by Working Edge »

dlr110 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:46 am
You're not the only one on band-aids sir. Right now I have one on my right thumb with a slice on the outside edge, the blade was sharp. On my left thumb is one not from a blade, but from a belt sander when I was shaping a knife handle.
I find it comically ironic that Case offers a band-aid dispenser/holder....!
I wonder if Case holds shares of Band-Aid stocks???
🤣🤣🤣🔪🔪🔪🔪
Praise the Lord,
Pass the ammunition
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Working Edge wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:12 pm
dlr110 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:46 am
I find it comically ironic that Case offers a band-aid dispenser/holder....!
I wonder if Case holds shares of Band-Aid stocks???
🤣🤣🤣🔪🔪🔪🔪
I think we might be surprised at what all CASE and maybe some other companies have their logo's on.
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Doing some experimenting, want to get a number that will give an indication of sharpness. Same principal as a Bess tester, but not paying 5-6 hundred dollars for one. I'm not that desperate. Playing around with this, so far looks promising.
IMG_20220706_073931.jpg
StrawHat

Post by StrawHat »

I want to reopen this thread.

Using my thumbnail is impractical as is shaving my arm. Tomatoes or other food is wasteful.

What else do you folks do?

Kevin
Knowledge I take to the grave is wasted.
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

StrawHat wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:10 am I want to reopen this thread.

Using my thumbnail is impractical as is shaving my arm. Tomatoes or other food is wasteful.

Kevin
I just use the knife for what I normally use it for. That is the test.
Mel
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Dinadan wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:46 am I just use the knife for what I normally use it for. That is the test.
Here, here!
Joe
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Dinadan wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:46 am
StrawHat wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:10 am I want to reopen this thread.

Kevin
I just use the knife for what I normally use it for. That is the test.
::tu:: ::tu::
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Just finished touching this up, the good old paper receipt test, always gives a good guide for either a toothier or smoother edge.
IMG_20220914_115534.jpg
catspa

Post by catspa »

What if you need to return an item, do you tape all the shreds back together?

“I’m sorry sir, I can’t accept this knife for return without the original receipt in original condition.”

Guess you’re stuck with it (figuratively speaking).

Parker
Alien883

Post by Alien883 »

StrawHat wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:57 am I see in this section many threads about various ways to achieve a sharp edge. What I do not see is how you are testing that edge to determine if it is sharp.

So, boys and girls, what is your favorite method for testing the edge of a newly sharped blade?

Thank you.

Kevin
Roll up ur pants and start shaving ur leg...hair come off...Sharp!!!!
StrawHat

Post by StrawHat »

Alien883 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 3:34 am
StrawHat wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:57 am I see in this section many threads about various ways to achieve a sharp edge. What I do not see is how you are testing that edge to determine if it is sharp.

So, boys and girls, what is your favorite method for testing the edge of a newly sharped blade?

Thank you.

Kevin
Roll up ur pants and start shaving ur leg...hair come off...Sharp!!!!
Since I work in various storefront, probably not.

Receipt paper will do. I was just looking for what others might use.

Thank you all!

Kevin
Knowledge I take to the grave is wasted.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Over the years I’ve learned to judge by feeling the edge with a light touch of my thumb. (Once had one so sharp that just touching it lightly cut me. ::woot::). Other than that I always found newsprint to be a good test. I no longer subscribe to the newspaper but keep some around just for that purpose. A little goes a long way.

That and starting a fire is about all a “news”paper is good for nowadays.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

I use receipt paper and mail-order catalogs. There is a certain conglomerate who sends catalogs faster than I can slice them up!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Dan In MI wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:17 am I use receipt paper and mail-order catalogs. There is a certain conglomerate who sends catalogs faster than I can slice them up!
I similarly use the frequent, redundant, and wasteful NRA mailings to do the slice test.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:45 pm
Dan In MI wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:17 am I use receipt paper and mail-order catalogs. There is a certain conglomerate who sends catalogs faster than I can slice them up!
I similarly use the frequent, redundant, and wasteful NRA mailings to do the slice test.
Great idea OC! It seems within a month of renewing my NRA membership I start getting renewal notices. It's becoming so annoying that I don't renew my membership until they send me a discounted offer to renew after my membership lapses. They would have a lot more money to spend on legislation if they stop sending out all the mailers, and buying cheap Chinese knives as a premium!

To stay on topic, I test larger knives on a tightly rolled piece of old blue jeans material, about 3/8 in diameter. It's tough material and not easily cut unless the edge is sharp. If the edge will cut through the blue jean material cleanly, without a lot of pressure, it is sharp. Often times blade thickness works against this test, but it will tell you if the edge is not sharp, even with a thick blade. You can definitely tell if the blade is not grabbing and cutting the material.

Regarding testing sharpness on tomatoes or other vegetables / fruit; that will indeed give you a good indicator of the knives sharpness, but be sure to clean the blade well afterwards with soap and water because the acid in a tomato or other fruits will definitely affect the edge, especially with carbon steel. The Henckles rep told me many years ago that the juice of a tomato will even a stainless knife.

Many times I find that a knife doesn't need to be sharpened, only cleaned. I use a spray called
Blade and Bit Cleaner to clean knife blades before sharpening and generally also after sharpening. I was amazed to find that many knives have a layer of food or other particles on them. Often just cleaning the blade restores 80 to 90% of the sharpness. I don't like to remove metal unless I have to. A cleaning with Blade and Bit Cleaner and stropping if necessary takes care of most of my kitchen knives
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan

Return to “Sharpening Forum”