Documenting my progress with Wicked Edge GO

A place to share, learn, & show off sharpening tips, tricks, techniques, & tools for sharpening edges of all kinds.
kootenay joe

Re: Documenting my progress with Wicked Edge GO

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks Rick. I think this answer about time need to re-do the edge is helpful for many of us. It is easy to get discouraged and think "this sharpener is not working for me" when all that is needed is to continue with the sharpening. It is 'working' but it takes a long time to re-profile an edge.
kj
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

kootenay joe wrote:Thanks Rick. I think this answer about time need to re-do the edge is helpful for many of us. It is easy to get discouraged and think "this sharpener is not working for me" when all that is needed is to continue with the sharpening. It is 'working' but it takes a long time to re-profile an edge.
kj
Agreed. This one was a welcome challenge because I wanted my stones to get a good workout so they would break in sooner. They were leaving a rougher edge than I wanted on my good knives and it's because they were brand new.

After grinding away that chip in the blade, they are broken in enough that I can now use them on my good knives. I hope the owner of the knife will be pleased.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I am sure he will be pleased but he might not appreciate how much time & effort was involved.
kj
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Railsplitter wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 4:34 pm Some of you folks may have seen my post in the “Pics of your sharpening area” thread. I showed some pictures of my new Wicked Edge sharpener in that thread and I’ve decided to start a new thread documenting my progress (or lack thereof) with the Wicked Edge in case some of you folks want to follow along.

The model that I bought is the Wicked Edge GO. It’s the entry level Wicked Edge product and it is compatible with all of the Wicked Edge stones and most of the other accessories.

I sharpened my first blade with the unit and here are some pics and comments.

The GO model is designed to be portable so it comes with a C-clamp the secure it to a table or workbench. The supplied C-clamp is just a smidgen too small for my workbench.
IMG_4765.JPG
I decided not to buy a bigger clamp and just mount the unit to my workbench with screws. I bought the GO model primarily for the lower cost and I don’t really need the portability anyway. I like this more secure mounting method much better. It’s solid as a rock now and I can always remove it if I want to transport it.
IMG_4783.JPG
This first picture is the blade I chose for my first attempt and was taken before I sharpened it.
Sears Scout Before.JPG
These two pictures are the end result.
IMG_4774.JPG
IMG_4773.JPG
I sharpened at 15 degrees per side using a digital Angle Cube to set the angle. In my opinion, an Angle Cube is a must have because the markings on the unit are not precise.

I used 100, 200, and 600 grit stones. Wicked Edge does offer a 400 grit stone but I don’t have one so I had to skip that step.
The edge will cleanly slice through paper. It will shave hair too but not as easily as I would like. It’s also a little rough looking but I think that’s because my stones are new and not broken in yet. I have experience with a Lansky kit and I would say that this edge is about the equivalent of an edge sharpened up to and including the green Lansky Medium stone.

It’s a very good working edge and the average Joe would be quite happy with it. I want a little more refinement in my edges so I might buy the 800/100 grit stones at a later date. I’m going to hold off on that for now because I want to wait and see how much more refined my edges become as the stones gradually break in.

Here are a couple of pics that I copied from the Wicked Edge website. The top picture is a close up of an edge sharpened with a brand new 600 grit stone. The bottom pic is with a well used 600 grit stone.
600-new.jpg
600-old.jpg
As you can see, there is quite a difference once the stones break in.

So that’s where I’m at right now. I’ll update this thread as I move along. Thanks for reading.
How is it going mate, i know this is an old thread but just wanted to ask how your WE is going and are you still happy with it.?
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

I’m still happy with it but I only use it for re-profiling. As it turns out, I don’t use it very often. Been over a year now since I’ve used it.

I seem to have settled in with one knife as an EDC. It’s a Buck 112 and the way Buck does their factory edges, it will be quite a while before I need to re-profile the edge. There is lots of room on the factory edge for a few dozen touch ups before I’ll have to re-profile it.

Still happy with the Wicked Edge as it does an impressive job of re-profiling. I just don’t need it very often nowadays but I’m glad I got the practice in and got to know it well.

Stones are broken in pretty well now and it’s ready to go whenever I am.
Rick T.

cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Railsplitter wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:40 pm I’m still happy with it but I only use it for re-profiling. As it turns out, I don’t use it very often. Been over a year now since I’ve used it.

I seem to have settled in with one knife as an EDC. It’s a Buck 112 and the way Buck does their factory edges, it will be quite a while before I need to re-profile the edge. There is lots of room on the factory edge for a few dozen touch ups before I’ll have to re-profile it.

Still happy with the Wicked Edge as it does an impressive job of re-profiling. I just don’t need it very often nowadays but I’m glad I got the practice in and got to know it well.

Stones are broken in pretty well now and it’s ready to go whenever I am.
Thanks. I did not like their concept originally, but i am warming to them a bit now, have a cheap knock-off on the way to see if i like using one. Just wanted to get your thoughts. ::handshake:: ::tu::
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Rick, my cheap knock off has arrived. Firstly, it is no where near the quality of the Wicked Edge, but i just wanted to see if i actually liked the concept in practice, you can read as many reviews as you like and watch them on Youtube, but until you actually try one you don't know. I struggled at first, but with practice i am hooked. Even with the cheap one i have that has a few flaws, i can get great sharp bevels, it came with diamond stones 360-600-800-1000 grit, you can stop at 600 grit for a really good working edge, but going up to 1000 you can get a really sharp edge. The whole concept of Clay's idea is really good, this one will suffice till i can afford the Wicked Edge, they are expensive but they are really well made and each model has improved since the original ones hit the market. A new Go model is being released this week with 2 more later this year. :)
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

cudgee wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:26 am Rick, my cheap knock off has arrived. Firstly, it is no where near the quality of the Wicked Edge, but i just wanted to see if i actually liked the concept in practice, you can read as many reviews as you like and watch them on Youtube, but until you actually try one you don't know. I struggled at first, but with practice i am hooked. Even with the cheap one i have that has a few flaws, i can get great sharp bevels, it came with diamond stones 360-600-800-1000 grit, you can stop at 600 grit for a really good working edge, but going up to 1000 you can get a really sharp edge. The whole concept of Clay's idea is really good, this one will suffice till i can afford the Wicked Edge, they are expensive but they are really well made and each model has improved since the original ones hit the market. A new Go model is being released this week with 2 more later this year. :)
Glad to hear that you like the concept. That's good that it came with 1000 grit stones. I had to buy my Wicked Edge 1000 grits separately. I usually only go to 800 grit but I'm glad I have the option to go to 1000.

Congrats on the new set up. ::tu::
Rick T.

cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Railsplitter wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:17 am
cudgee wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:26 am Rick, my cheap knock off has arrived. Firstly, it is no where near the quality of the Wicked Edge, but i just wanted to see if i actually liked the concept in practice, you can read as many reviews as you like and watch them on Youtube, but until you actually try one you don't know. I struggled at first, but with practice i am hooked. Even with the cheap one i have that has a few flaws, i can get great sharp bevels, it came with diamond stones 360-600-800-1000 grit, you can stop at 600 grit for a really good working edge, but going up to 1000 you can get a really sharp edge. The whole concept of Clay's idea is really good, this one will suffice till i can afford the Wicked Edge, they are expensive but they are really well made and each model has improved since the original ones hit the market. A new Go model is being released this week with 2 more later this year. :)
Glad to hear that you like the concept. That's good that it came with 1000 grit stones. I had to buy my Wicked Edge 1000 grits separately. I usually only go to 800 grit but I'm glad I have the option to go to 1000.

I will post a photo when i get unpacked and more organized. ::tu::
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Railsplitter wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:17 am

Mate this is how the sharpener arrived, and how it sets up. Came in a really good carry case for a cheap sharpener, i am doing some improvements and mods to it, will make it much better and more user friendly. Will post some photos when i have finished. Have a good week. :)
IMG_20220819_093732.jpg
IMG_20220819_093708.jpg
IMG_20220819_093554.jpg
IMG_20220822_094002.jpg

Return to “Sharpening Forum”