15? 20? 25?

A place to share, learn, & show off sharpening tips, tricks, techniques, & tools for sharpening edges of all kinds.
Steve Warden

15? 20? 25?

Post by Steve Warden »

What angle are you folks putting on the edges of your folders, your fixed blades, and your kitchen knives?

Just curious. I use a Lansky Turn Box 2D2C set at 20 for anything I'm carrying, and 25 for my kitchen knives.

Do you use different bevels for different knives based on their purpose?
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: 15? 20? 25?

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I sharpen free hand, so I use whatever angle has the right “feel” and sound when sharpening. I think that depends on what angle was put in it originally by the maker. I would guess typically between 15 to 20 degrees ::shrug:: , but not the same on every knife.

I’m not smart enough to choose angles based on purpose. ::shrug:: As for degree of sharpness, I go by the “sharp enough” method. IMHO “Sharp enough to shave” is generally overrated.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I use 25 degrees, plus or minus a few.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

I use the top hole in the lansky clamp (30°) for all of my slip joints - that way I never have to remember what angle I may have used on a particular knife. With the diamond stones & finishing off with the hard ceramic, taking care to remove all semblance of a burr, 30° will get you s-h-a-r-p
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Lansky1 wrote:I use the top hole in the lansky clamp (30°) for all of my slip joints - that way I never have to remember what angle I may have used on a particular knife. With the diamond stones & taking care to remove all semblance of a burr, 30° will get s-h-a-r-p
I don't know exactly how the Lansky system works - but if you mention a 30 degree angle - what would be the equivalent if you were sharpening freehand on a stone? Would it be holding the blade at a 15 degree angle to the stone?
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

You can get sharp at any of those angles. But personally, I sharpen my pocket knives free hand closer to the 15° range, depending on feel like Ken said, to set the bevel. Once I get it about right, I’ll raise it up a bit to finish it off. I think they call that a micro bevel.

The reason I set the bevel at such a low angle is because it just cuts better with that low angle sloping shoulder. I know 30° or 25° per side angles can be sharp. After all that’s the angle we sharpen axes at, I sure don’t think of my axes as slicers and cutters. But to each their own, that’s just me.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Steve Warden wrote:What angle are you folks putting on the edges of your folders, your fixed blades, and your kitchen knives?

Just curious. I use a Lansky Turn Box 2D2C set at 20 for anything I'm carrying, and 25 for my kitchen knives.

Do you use different bevels for different knives based on their purpose?
From what I have read kitchen knives, depending on the thickness, should be one of the lowest angles of any knives you sharpen, in the 15-20 degrees angle. At least that is what the Japanesechefsknives website says is proper for their knives. They do have some of the finest edges and thinnest blades going.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
willc

Post by willc »

For my pocket knives I usually go 15 degrees or maybe even lower.
I free hand so I basically lay it real low on the stone and grind.

I have been doing it this way since the early 80’s and I think the blades cut better at lower angles and they are easier to touch up later on too.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

knifeaholic wrote: I don't know exactly how the Lansky system works -
Seriously?
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

jerryd6818 wrote:
Seriously?
Thanks but well, yes I know how it works. What I meant was, I don't know how they calculate the 30 degree angle.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

knifeaholic wrote:
jerryd6818 wrote:
Seriously?
Thanks but well, yes I know how it works. What I meant was, I don't know how they calculate the 30 degree angle.
If I’m looking at it right that would be 30° per side, or 60° inclusive. Way to steep an angle for my liking.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

willc wrote:For my pocket knives I usually go 15 degrees or maybe even lower.
I free hand so I basically lay it real low on the stone and grind.

I have been doing it this way since the early 80’s and I think the blades cut better at lower angles and they are easier to touch up later on too.
::tu::
Robert E. Lee
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Colonel26 wrote:
If I’m looking at it right that would be 30° per side, or 60° inclusive. Way to steep an angle for my liking.
That's what I assumed. 30° per side. ::shrug::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

I like to sharpen to as low an angle as I can without having a very wide bevel. I'm very picky about the way my edges look, not really the finish but more so having it straight, even and narrow. I usually do around 18-20 degrees per side but I do 15 or less when I can.

This is a good example of how I like my edges. All the blades on this knife profiled beautifully when I took it to 18 dps. A very nice straight and narrow bevel on all three blades. The blades are ground well and I'm pleased with the way they cut. The bevel is narrow enough that I may take them down to 15 in the future for even better performance but we'll see.
IMG_3351.JPG
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

You can get sharp at any of those angles. But personally, I sharpen my pocket knives free hand closer to the 15° range, depending on feel like Ken said, to set the bevel. Once I get it about right, I’ll raise it up a bit to finish it off. I think they call that a micro bevel.

As I understand it, "micro bevel" is used for block planes for wood working. Making long curls of wood shavings.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

KnifeSlinger#81 wrote:I like to sharpen to as low an angle as I can without having a very wide bevel. I'm very picky about the way my edges look, not really the finish but more so having it straight, even and narrow. I usually do around 18-20 degrees per side but I do 15 or less when I can.

This is a good example of how I like my edges. All the blades on this knife profiled beautifully when I took it to 18 dps. A very nice straight and narrow bevel on all three blades. The blades are ground well and I'm pleased with the way they cut. The bevel is narrow enough that I may take them down to 15 in the future for even better performance but we'll see.

IMG_3351.JPG
Paul, that is a very handsome knife. I think it’s a GEC, but wanted to make sure? I love the color, the blade, shape and shield of that one.
Very nice.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
KnifeSlinger#81

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:
KnifeSlinger#81 wrote:I like to sharpen to as low an angle as I can without having a very wide bevel. I'm very picky about the way my edges look, not really the finish but more so having it straight, even and narrow. I usually do around 18-20 degrees per side but I do 15 or less when I can.

IMG_3351.JPG
Paul, that is a very handsome knife. I think it’s a GEC, but wanted to make sure? I love the color, the blade, shape and shield of that one.
Very nice.
SSk
Thank you. Yes it's a gec, a micarta 82 stockman. It has been my edc since I bought it.
-Paul T.

Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I use 15° for both pocket and kitchen knives.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Quick Steel wrote:I use 15° for both pocket and kitchen knives.
How's the edge retention on such a thin edge?
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Steve Warden wrote:
Quick Steel wrote:I use 15° for both pocket and kitchen knives.
How's the edge retention on such a thin edge?
I can give you my take on it. I think I can go longer between touch ups. Now part of that may be since there’s less resistance over all because of there being less shoulder to the cutting edge. I don’t know. It works for me.
Robert E. Lee
eveled

Post by eveled »

Anybody else lay them flat on the stone and rub them back and forth, for a full flat grind? Then a very slight secondary bevel at the edge. Not right for every knife but it’s great for some of them.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Imaginary edge shapes.
Attachments
DSCN7094.JPG
DSCN7096.JPG
Joe
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Joe thanks for that visual. I sharpen mine closer to the 30° inclusive one.
eveled wrote:Anybody else lay them flat on the stone and rub them back and forth, for a full flat grind? Then a very slight secondary bevel at the edge. Not right for every knife but it’s great for some of them.
My dad does pretty close to that. Problem is he isn’t real particular how even he gets the bevel. He sure can make a blade look ugly, but it works for him.
Robert E. Lee
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Colonel26 wrote: I sharpen mine closer to the 30° inclusive one.
I do too Wade. Or less. I've got to get my kitchen knives through those onions and potatoes. :mrgreen:
My pocket knives are layed right over. I'm not cutting anything too rough these days.
Thanks.
Joe
KnifeSlinger#81

eveled wrote:Anybody else lay them flat on the stone and rub them back and forth, for a full flat grind? Then a very slight secondary bevel at the edge. Not right for every knife but it’s great for some of them.
I do that when a blade is too thick for my liking, or the bevel is too wide for the angle I want or it's just jacked up. I would really like to get a belt sander for that purpose actually, right now I just use sandpaper which is pretty slow.
-Paul T.

Return to “Sharpening Forum”