My stone collection

A place to share, learn, & show off sharpening tips, tricks, techniques, & tools for sharpening edges of all kinds.
JACK OF ALL TIRADES

My stone collection

Post by JACK OF ALL TIRADES »

The one on lower right is one I have had forever. The rest are newish except for the Smith rod thingy. Really all unused by me. There are two others that I have recently learned how to sharpen with, finally. Hope you all recognize some and I bet you will.
Attachments
20190216_131712.jpg
FRJ

Re: My stone collection

Post by FRJ »

That is a nice array of stones, JACK OF ALL TIRADES.
That 7" King waterstone and that Carborundum stone would solve a lot of sharpening problems.
Bigger is better.
Joe
JACK OF ALL TIRADES

Thanks Joe. The ones I use are a large size Harbor Freight which works well and another, finer, double sided one. That King stone is too nice to scratch up :D
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

JACK OF ALL TIRADES wrote: That King stone is too nice to scratch up :D
If you have some experience sharpening and have not used a waterstone you will find a difference in the way waterstones work.

They cut faster. A 500 grit stone is a pleasure to use. They are softer too. They will dish a bit quicker than a carborundrum stone.

I recommend them. What is the grit of your King. Is it 7 inches?
Joe
JACK OF ALL TIRADES

I see a 7 on the box lid.. so maybe. It is unused and all stones are either dry and often washed clean with Dawn and, being the king of house, scrubbed with sink scrubbers, and left to dry. No oil used at all
JACK OF ALL TIRADES

I found something tonight about my, middle,far right, stone being an Enders Oakleaf razor stone. Must be old.
Twhite

Post by Twhite »

You have plenty of stones to get a fine edge on your knives. Like others have stated that King is a great to to get an edge. I think I see an Arkansas stone too The white and grey one. Depending that can give a great finish for your knives. I have been using water mixed with a bit of Dawn dish soap on my Arkansas and it works quite well.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I just got this in to go with my Randall knives. It is 2" by 8" and 1/2" thick. I have no idea what it is made of or the grit, but it is coarser than the Arkansas stone which I have had for 40 years (that old one is cracked in half, hairline. Darn!). I assume that I would use water on this new one if I chose to use it (which I probably will NOT)?
sharpening stone 2X8.jpg
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

tongueriver wrote:I just got this in to go with my Randall knives. It is 2" by 8" and 1/2" thick. I have no idea what it is made of or the grit, but it is coarser than the Arkansas stone which I have had for 40 years (that old one is cracked in half, hairline. Darn!). I assume that I would use water on this new one if I chose to use it (which I probably will NOT)?sharpening stone 2X8.jpg
I prefer water to oil on any stone, oil is messy. Water with a little dish soap in it works nicely.

That's a nice stone Cal. I will admit that I have some stones that are nice and I never really want to use them, just like some knives.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.

Return to “Sharpening Forum”