WELCOME TO THE NEW SHARPENING FORUM

A place to share, learn, & show off sharpening tips, tricks, techniques, & tools for sharpening edges of all kinds.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

WELCOME TO THE NEW SHARPENING FORUM

Post by orvet »

We have a number of fairly long discussions about sharpening floating in the ethernet around AAPK. Rather than just add another topic that hides among the many topics in other forums, I requested Bryan add a new forum devoted to the topic of sharpening. I see Ray has already kicked the new forum off to a great start with his topic : First forum post: Sharpening devices for knives and razors.
After seeing some of the cool antique sharpeners that he has I am going to have to take pictures of some of my antique sharpeners.

Y'all jump in and show some pictures of your old sharpening tools, inventions and methods! ::ds::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
FRJ

Re: WELCOME TO THE NEW SHARPENING FORUM

Post by FRJ »

This is great.
Thank you Dale. ::tu::
Joe
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

::tu:: ditto! Great idea.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Excellent. What a wonderful addition to the forum. ::tu:: ::nod::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
EWMailman

Post by EWMailman »

A wonderful idea indeed.
cbnutt

Post by cbnutt »

orvet wrote:We have a number of fairly long discussions about sharpening floating in the ethernet around AAPK. Rather than just add another topic that hides among the many topics in other forums, I requested Bryan add a new forum devoted to the topic of sharpening. I see Ray has already kicked the new forum off to a great start with his topic : First forum post: Sharpening devices for knives and razors.
After seeing some of the cool antique sharpeners that he has I am going to have to take pictures of some of my antique sharpeners.

Y'all jump in and show some pictures of your old sharpening tools, inventions and methods! ::ds::
Dale , could you move the thread I did the other day about the tips for using a Lansky system to this forum , maybe do a sticky would be nice ::tu::
Shoot low sheriff, he's ridin a Shetland.....
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

DONE ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

This thread was started by Dale on the 26th November 2018, was even made a sticky and has only had 7 posts, thought it needed a reboot. In Dale's original post one of the idea's mentioned was any new sharpening methods or inventions. This is not an invention as such, but a hybrid of clones from different guided sharpeners from an idea i had. I am currently waiting on some parts to arrive and for Tru-Oil to dry on the wooden base, this takes a fair while to cure properly otherwise it is not worth taking the effort. I had an idea about making my own sharpener, i knew roughly what i wanted but did not know how to get started, Fluked seeing this online, was only $27US, i knew it was not what i was after and would be not a good sharpener which it is not. But, i only wanted the steel/aluminium base, soon as i saw it, i knew that was my starting point. Will keep posting updates if anyone is interested, this is a couple of shots of how the unit arrived, i am completely remodeling it.
In pieces.jpg
This is how it came out of the box.
Set Up.jpg
This is the unit set up.
IMAG0545.jpg
IMAG0544.jpg
This is the metal base, that is what i wanted.
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

cudgee wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:44 am This thread was started by Dale on the 26th November 2018, was even made a sticky and has only had 7 posts, thought it needed a reboot. In Dale's original post one of the idea's mentioned was any new sharpening methods or inventions. This is not an invention as such, but a hybrid of clones from different guided sharpeners from an idea i had. I am currently waiting on some parts to arrive and for Tru-Oil to dry on the wooden base, this takes a fair while to cure properly otherwise it is not worth taking the effort. I had an idea about making my own sharpener, i knew roughly what i wanted but did not know how to get started, Fluked seeing this online, was only $27US, i knew it was not what i was after and would be not a good sharpener which it is not. But, i only wanted the steel/aluminium base, soon as i saw it, i knew that was my starting point. Will keep posting updates if anyone is interested, this is a couple of shots of how the unit arrived, i am completely remodeling it.

In pieces.jpg

Set Up.jpg
This is the unit set up.

IMAG0545.jpg
IMAG0544.jpg
Am interested in how this works out for you. It sounds like you’ve given it much thought . Sharpening is a challenge for me,can get A ok edge,but could be better,so am interested in your project . Keep us posted my Friend. ::tu::
JP
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Ripster wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:04 am
cudgee wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:44 am This thread was started by Dale on the 26th November 2018, was even made a sticky and has only had 7 posts, thought it needed a reboot. In Dale's original post one of the idea's mentioned was any new sharpening methods or inventions. This is not an invention as such, but a hybrid of clones from different guided sharpeners from an idea i had. I am currently waiting on some parts to arrive and for Tru-Oil to dry on the wooden base, this takes a fair while to cure properly otherwise it is not worth taking the effort. I had an idea about making my own sharpener, i knew roughly what i wanted but did not know how to get started, Fluked seeing this online, was only $27US, i knew it was not what i was after and would be not a good sharpener which it is not. But, i only wanted the steel/aluminium base, soon as i saw it, i knew that was my starting point. Will keep posting updates if anyone is interested, this is a couple of shots of how the unit arrived, i am completely remodeling it.

In pieces.jpg

Set Up.jpg
This is the unit set up.

IMAG0545.jpg
IMAG0544.jpg
Am interested in how this works out for you. It sounds like you’ve given it much thought . Sharpening is a challenge for me,can get A ok edge,but could be better,so am interested in your project . Keep us posted my Friend. ::tu::
Will keep you posted mate, if it works out as i think it will, i am expecting wickedly sharp edges. ::nod:: ::tu:: ::handshake::
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

In pieces.jpg

Set Up.jpg
This is the unit set up.

IMAG0545.jpg
IMAG0544.jpg
Mate, told you i would keep you updated, here it is as it stands, bit different to how it arrived. Just waiting on a couple of small parts to arrive, should be put together this week. I will see how it is, i still may have some tinkering to do, i am not going to rush it, and when finished, i want it to be as i want it. After all it is a customized job, like a hot rod. ::facepalm::
In pieces.jpg
How it arrived.
IMAG0557.jpg
Waiting to be put together, bit different to what came out of the box
IMAG0558.jpg
Testing the magnets strength.
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

cudgee wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:40 am

In pieces.jpg

Set Up.jpg
This is the unit set up.

IMAG0545.jpg
IMAG0544.jpg
Mate, told you i would keep you updated, here it is as it stands, bit different to how it arrived. Just waiting on a couple of small parts to arrive, should be put together this week. I will see how it is, i still may have some tinkering to do, i am not going to rush it, and when finished, i want it to be as i want it. After all it is a customized job, like a hot rod. ::facepalm::

In pieces.jpg
How it arrived.

IMAG0557.jpg

IMAG0558.jpg
Morning Cudgee, your sharpening device is coming along. Thanks for keeping us up to date on your project.
With your help and all the knowledge here am getting better at sharpening.
Thanks my Friend. Stay warm over there ::handshake::
JP
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: Will do, we are having a really cold start to Winter, and we are not even 1/3 of the way through it. ::handshake::
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

These work better than stone for me. Your results may vary.
Attachments
thumbnail_20210703_083639.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Ripster wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:09 pm

In pieces.jpg
How it arrived.

IMAG0557.jpg

IMAG0558.jpg
Morning Cudgee, your sharpening device is coming along. Thanks for keeping us up to date on your project.
Taking a lot longer than i expected, not an issue, just had to wait for some parts to arrive, and been watching a lot of Youtube videos on different sharpeners. This has turned out to be worthwhile, found some ideas, just small adjustments that i had not thought of. Should have it finished this week, will let you know and post some photos, this is the basic unit. ::tu::
IMAG0561.jpg
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

cudgee wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:20 pm

In pieces.jpg
How it arrived.

IMAG0557.jpg

IMAG0558.jpg
Taking a lot longer than i expected, not an issue, just had to wait for some parts to arrive, and been watching a lot of Youtube videos on different sharpeners. This has turned out to be worthwhile, found some ideas, just small adjustments that i had not thought of. Should have it finished this week, will let you know and post some photos, this is the basic unit. ::tu::

IMAG0561.jpg
It sounds like it’ll be worth your time and investment. Look forward to hearing how your test results pan out. Have changed a few things in my sharpening endeavors,getting better, learned a few helpful hints here . Keep us posted my Friend ::tu:: ::tu::
JP
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Ripster wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:24 am

IMAG0561.jpg
It sounds like it’ll be worth your time and investment. Look forward to hearing how your test results pan out. Have changed a few things in my sharpening endeavors,getting better, learned a few helpful hints here . Keep us posted my Friend ::tu:: ::tu::
Just an update mate, things have been slow, got the sharpener finished as was not at all happy with it, was extremely disappointed, i had made changes to it on the run and they never work out. So i pulled it apart completely and started from scratch with some design changes, much happier with the new one, just picked up a couple of parts for it and should have it completed in a couple of days. Thanks for your interest mate. ::tu:: :)
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

cudgee wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:27 am

IMAG0561.jpg
Just an update mate, things have been slow, got the sharpener finished as was not at all happy with it, was extremely disappointed, i had made changes to it on the run and they never work out. So i pulled it apart completely and started from scratch with some design changes, much happier with the new one, just picked up a couple of parts for it and should have it completed in a couple of days. Thanks for your interest mate. ::tu:: :)
All good things take time,thanks for the update. Stay warm over there ::handshake::
JP
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Ripster wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:10 am

All good things take time,thanks for the update. Stay warm over there ::handshake::
Just thought i should show you my new sharpener, been using it for a couple of weeks now, has helped fill in the time while we have been in lockdown, let me know what you think. ::tu:: ::handshake::
IMAG0582.jpg
IMAG0583.jpg
IMAG0590.jpg
IMAG0595.jpg
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

cudgee wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:54 am
Just thought i should show you my new sharpener, been using it for a couple of weeks now, has helped fill in the time while we have been in lockdown, let me know what you think. ::tu:: ::handshake::

IMAG0582.jpg
IMAG0583.jpg
IMAG0590.jpg
IMAG0595.jpg
Cudgee ol friend,thanks for update. If it works to your satisfaction it was worth your time and effort. Could you show me how ,where you secure knife,or? As I can’t quite figure it out.
Appreciate it . Looking forward to hearing more from you. Take care over there my Friend. ::handshake::
JP
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Ripster wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:10 am

IMAG0582.jpg
IMAG0583.jpg
IMAG0590.jpg
IMAG0595.jpg
Cudgee ol friend,thanks for update. If it works to your satisfaction it was worth your time and effort. Could you show me how ,where you secure knife,or? As I can’t quite figure it out.
Appreciate it . Looking forward to hearing more from you. Take care over there my Friend. ::handshake::
::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: Will post some photos, in the mean time, have a look at the Edge Pro website at their sharpening videos, it is based on that type of sharpener and will give you some idea. ::hmm:: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

cudgee wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:20 am
Ripster wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:10 am

IMAG0582.jpg
IMAG0583.jpg
IMAG0590.jpg
IMAG0595.jpg
::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: Will post some photos, in the mean time, have a look at the Edge Pro website at their sharpening videos, it is based on that type of sharpener and will give you some idea. ::hmm:: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thank you Sir. Will check it out . ::tu::
JP
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Cudgee, it looks like you’ve got it working well. I don’t have the patience for one like that. ::facepalm::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:59 am Cudgee, it looks like you’ve got it working well. I don’t have the patience for one like that. ::facepalm::

Ken
Ken, you would surprise yourself, that is what i always thought, and i have tried a few systems over the years and they all ended up in the junk/parts box. But i had to have an operation on my hand a few years ago and it affected my ability to get what i would call sharp edges, i have been freehand sharpening for over 50 years, and could get get really good sharp edges, now i can still get a good edge, but i knew i could do better. So i read and researched and came up with this one, i made it to suit me and my needs. You say you would not have the patience, well you would my friend, it is like everything else, with practice you get very proficient at it. This took some time to learn and master, and i'm still learning and teaching myself on old knives, but you would be surprised how easy it is to use, and because you still have some hand control it is the closest guided system you will get to freehand which i know you like. I also took your advise from one of your posts and bought some diamond stones to go with it, i have never been a fan of diamond stones, but i bit the bullet and ordered some bonded resin diamond stones which have really good reports on forums and Youtube, they should be here in a few days, will let you know how i go with them. Thanks for your interest and you comments. :) ::handshake::
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Thanks cudgee, now I understand better why you use it. After years of free hand sharpening using stones, and having never known anything else, I thought I was really moving ahead in the world when I finally bought a Worksharp Guided Sharpening System with its diamond stones. :lol: It was a real awakening for me to see how much faster diamond stones cut versus “conventional” carborundum and natural stones.

I have to say though, I think the WorkSharp Guided Sharpener is about as close to free hand as you can get. Use of the guides is totally optional, as is the pivot tilt feature. Aside from the diamond stones, if one chooses it can be used the same way as a free hand conventional stone. There are no clamps, no pivoting guide arms. About as simple as it can be.

Hope you find diamond stones as useful as I have. Proceed with caution though. I learned because they cut faster than conventional stones, it takes fewer strokes, and/or a finer grit stone than you probably think you need. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “Sharpening Forum”