WELCOME TO THE NEW SHARPENING FORUM

A place to share, learn, & show off sharpening tips, tricks, techniques, & tools for sharpening edges of all kinds.
cudgee

Re: WELCOME TO THE NEW SHARPENING FORUM

Post by cudgee »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:16 am Thanks cudgee, now I understand better why you use it. After years of free hand sharpening using stones, and having never known anything else, I thought I was really moving ahead in the world when I finally bought a Worksharp Guided Sharpening System with its diamond stones. :lol: It was a real awakening for me to see how much faster diamond stones cut versus “conventional” carborundum and natural stones.

I have to say though, I think the WorkSharp Guided Sharpener is about as close to free hand as you can get. Use of the guides is totally optional, as is the pivot tilt feature. Aside from the diamond stones, if one chooses it can be used the same way as a free hand conventional stone. There are no clamps, no pivoting guide arms. About as simple as it can be.

Hope you find diamond stones as useful as I have. Proceed with caution though. I learned because they cut faster than conventional stones, it takes fewer strokes, and/or a finer grit stone than you probably think you need. ::tu::

Ken
Thanks mate for your advise re diamond stones. Quite a few people have told me the same thing, so what i have done is scrounge all my old knives that i had in draws together, and have bought some really cheap knives of different blade shapes to get used to using the diamond stones. Need to learn how they cut before i go over to my good knives. Will keep you updated my friend.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Just finished making these, some strops made out of Kangaroo leather on aluminium backing plates, 2 plain and 2 with diamond spray.
IMG_20220404_085043.jpg
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

cudgee wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:08 pm Just finished making these, some strops made out of Kangaroo leather on aluminium backing plates, 2 plain and 2 with diamond spray.

IMG_20220404_085043.jpg
Gorgeous bones on that knife, is that a Waynorth Cutlery Real Lambsfoot? Sweet whatever it is. Nice to see your handiwork on the strops too. Thanks.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Ivoryman wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:38 pm
cudgee wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:08 pm Just finished making these, some strops made out of Kangaroo leather on aluminium backing plates, 2 plain and 2 with diamond spray.

IMG_20220404_085043.jpg
Gorgeous bones on that knife, is that a Waynorth Cutlery Real Lambsfoot? Sweet whatever it is. Nice to see your handiwork on the strops too. Thanks.
Yes it is one of Charlies in jigged bone.
IMG_20220316_092806.jpg
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. I love those knives and prefer the jigged bone over the Ebony. Great knife, can't say enough about the beauty of that one. Way to go. And whatever it's leaning on looks like a severed finger to a glove. Is that your knife sleeve? Great stuff.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Here's a shot of my homemade strop. 2x4 with a piece of tanned leather stretched over it and screwed down. Typical green compound. Changed my life. I used to hit the stone or the diamond when I needed touching up or when it won't shave anymore. Now I give it a little more time on the strop, but remove a lot less metal so should make it last longer too. If you don't have one, make one or get one. Will make the sharpening part of life much easier.
Attachments
thumbnail_20230227_162103.jpg
Alien883

Post by Alien883 »

Great idea of having this new thread/topic!!

I am always amazed how many knife people have problems sharpening a knife correctly, or for that matter use the correct tool...I am a bit biased, because I do custom leather as a hobby and always need razor sharp tools. When a potential customer comes to my shop and needs to wait or we just shoot the bull...I often ask what knife he carries { hopefully he does...lol} and then till you know it I sharpen it for him right quick...People make BIG eyes when they suddenly can shave hair off their arms.
And, No you dont need all these gadgets to sharpen a blade...for basic beginnings a good medium grit oil/water stone will do wonders. A simple sharpening steel will often safe the day too...a bit of leather strop or even cardboard will finish off easily. If the blade is big time abused, a super cheap mini belt sander is the hot ticket, a used 400 grid belt for renewing the bevel, again a piece of leather or cardboard and here we go!! Bigger hunting blades can be done on a 240 grit belt, then 400 and the burr { this little piece of wire you create...} can be removed with a hard buffing wheel or leather wheel....using green rouge!
When I was in my 20's I was bragging how sharp an axe can be made....of course my beer drinking buddies wanted a bet...So here I was shaving myself with an axe in a public beer garden,,,,lol No, we didn't get arrestet, but I won a 12 pack of good ole dark beer. for a good clean shave.....good enough, lol!!! So lets start practicing, one blade at the time.....
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Alien883 wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:41 am Great idea of having this new thread/topic!!
If the blade is big time abused, a super cheap mini belt sander is the hot ticket, a used 400 grid belt for renewing the bevel, again a piece of leather or cardboard and here we go!! Bigger hunting blades can be done on a 240 grit belt, then 400 and the burr { this little piece of wire you create...} can be removed with a hard buffing wheel or leather wheel....using green rouge!
Ouch! Even used, Ouch! :)

Alien883, I agree with almost all of what you said but I believe the coarse side of a Carborundum stone is your best tool
to regain a good edge. Learning to put a new edge on a blade is an enormous step in the skill of sharpening in my opinion.
Of course it will take more time than using a belt sander. This is a good thing. ::nod::
Joe
Alien883

Post by Alien883 »

FRJ wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:05 pm
Alien883 wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:41 am Great idea of having this new thread/topic!!
If the blade is big time abused, a super cheap mini belt sander is the hot ticket, a used 400 grid belt for renewing the bevel, again a piece of leather or cardboard and here we go!! Bigger hunting blades can be done on a 240 grit belt, then 400 and the burr { this little piece of wire you create...} can be removed with a hard buffing wheel or leather wheel....using green rouge!
Ouch! Even used, Ouch! :)

Alien883, I agree with almost all of what you said but I believe the coarse side of a Carborundum stone is your best tool
to regain a good edge. Learning to put a new edge on a blade is an enormous step in the skill of sharpening in my opinion.
Of course it will take more time than using a belt sander. This is a good thing. ::nod::
Lol, a used ( worn out 400 grit ) will still take material off the bevel...but not as much as a fresh one...I wear my belts out on knife making and then use them for sharpening...thats a win-win situation!
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

::tu:: ::handshake::
Joe

Return to “Sharpening Forum”