Sharpening stone "re-conditioning".

A place to share, learn, & show off sharpening tips, tricks, techniques, & tools for sharpening edges of all kinds.
dewman

Sharpening stone "re-conditioning".

Post by dewman »

I have a Smith's Tri-Stone sharpening system I bought from Cabella's. I love it. Best sharpening setup I've ever owned. I always put a copious amount of oil on each stone before I use them, but for some reason, the medium stone doesn't seem to have the "tooth" it once had. It doesn't appear to be "loaded up"....so, my question is....is there a way to "re-condition" it? Like, maybe "scuff" it up so it has that "feel" like it's actually taking off some metal when I use it?

Thanks for any suggestions or comments.

Dewman
"This ain't Dodge City....and you ain't Bill Hickock!"
El Lobo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by El Lobo »

Sounds like it might be clogged with residue from sharpening. Try washing in soapy water and using a toothbrush to loosen the residue. A cleanser like Bon Ami, or Bar Keepers Friend, with the toothbrush, would work even better if you have something like that.

Bill
Please visit the Member Stores here at AAPK, including my store.....GET AN EDGE!
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/getanedge
dewman

Post by dewman »

I'll be danged if it didn't work! I got out a "chore girl" pad, some Comet, hot water and some dishwashing soap....and a real stiff bristle brush and went to town. Cleaned 'em up real good, put 'em out in the hot sun to dry off....and after another good coating of oil, they're good as new! ::ds::

Thanks for the tip, El Lobo. ::tu::

Dewman
"This ain't Dodge City....and you ain't Bill Hickock!"
Nev52

Re: Sharpening stone "re-conditioning".

Post by Nev52 »

I just tried this on some of my 30 year old sharpening stones. It worked !!!! This site has a lot of good information. ::groove::
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Have you considered using water instead of oil on any stone?
Joe
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

I was told a Arkansas stone should be oiled. So I have never used water on them.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Would you consider using, say an extra flea market stone or a tag sale stone to your liking, and using water on that?
Joe
Twhite

Post by Twhite »

I use "Smiths Honing Solution" on my Arkansas and other oil stones. Several drops and it works great. Then when I am done I spray some water on the stone to remove the solution and wipe dry. it is a lot less messy than soaking the stone down with oil.
eveled

Post by eveled »

Based partially on this thread I bought a smiths 3 sided stone set up. I mostly like the idea. It is solid and elevated off the table and the stones are fine. But it has one flaw. When sharpening sheath knives the guard hits the plastic housing. So I can’t always get close to the ricasso.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

This is a problem using stones that are housed in something or worse yet glued to something. When they are glued to something you have access to one side only. You can't even use their edges.
Stones needn't be contained at all. You may use something to contain them as you sharpen with them
but it's nice to free them up after.
Buying them with accessories increases the price.
Joe
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

FRJ wrote:This is a problem using stones that are housed in something or worse yet glued to something. When they are glued to something you have access to one side only. You can't even use their edges.
Stones needn't be contained at all. You may use something to contain them as you sharpen with them
but it's nice to free them up after.
Buying them with accessories increases the price.
+1 and Amen!

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

A few more tips for you from a guy that has been doing this type of stuff for more than a few years. I made a inletted piece of wood to put a small stone in, that way you can remove it and wash it. Also made a 3 sided piece of plywood that I put a large 11 inch stone in. The stone is even with the edge so you can get a fixed blade right up to the guard and again remove for cleaning. Not much money involved just a little time. I think the "secret" is keeping the stone clean, what ever you use for lub, water, oil, kerosene. Just my 2 cents worth, you can either use it or pitch it. LOL ::handshake:: Terry
Attachments
DSC_2311.JPG
DSC_2313.JPG
DSC_2314.JPG
DSC_2315.JPG
DSC_2316.JPG
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

terryl308 wrote:A few more tips for you from a guy that has been doing this type of stuff for more than a few years. Terry
That's a nice approach, Terry. Those are beautiful stones too.

I have something similar.
Attachments
Sharpening 1.JPG
Sharpening 1.JPG (32.52 KiB) Viewed 3850 times
Sharpening 2.JPG
Sharpening 2.JPG (32.94 KiB) Viewed 3850 times
Joe

Return to “Sharpening Forum”