Northwoods Bear Lake

The Northwoods Knife brand name originated in Gladstone, Michigan when a man named Dave Shirley adopted it as his knife company's name in 2004. Dave was well known for collaborating with popular knife companies to have knives made to his specifications for resale well before 2004 & beyond. KnivesShipFree bought Northwoods from Dave & has continued to team up with respected makers to produce knives marked with the Northwoods brand name.
kootenay joe

Re: Northwoods Bear Lake

Post by kootenay joe »

Too bad the Bear Lake didn't come with a better blade. It is the 'weak point' of the knife. Those with experience using knives know that a straight edge does a few things very well and other types of cutting very poorly. It is a 'specialty' blade. A dedicated EDC needs a more 'all purpose' blade because who knows what the day will bring.
There, i justified not getting one. :wink:
kj
Cletus Awreetus

Post by Cletus Awreetus »

"There, i justified not getting one. :wink: "

there you go kj, with the money you saved you can score that Gladiator you've been jonesing for!
-the problem with society today is, no one drinks from the skulls of their dead enemies anymore..-
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The Mammoth Bear Lake that sold for $730 has dark muddy brown-black mammoth, not attractive. I had a GEC with mammoth that was dark and it does not give the same sense of satisfaction as lighter colored mammoth. But even if this had great mammoth $730 is not a value that will be maintained.
There is a cult like following of GEC & Northwoods who seem to experience an ecstatic rapture should they score one with highly coveted handles. Money and market value have no influence.
kj
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Cletus Awreetus wrote:I'm sure the kudu is much more collectible too. I think I'd better sleep on it.

Greg, are you keeping both? I'm only keeping 1, picked up an extra for a buddy whose first choice was kudu but he's happy with either. I just need to decide which one to keep. Since I doubt I'll make a user of it I'd think kudu is more bankable. the stag sure is pretty though.
Cletus I'll probably keep them both. I usually don't sell to many in fact as difficult as the Northwoods are to get at retail I haven't sold any. That Bear lake is kind of a puny feeling knife in hand. I'd hate to run up on a bear at Bear lake with just that. :D
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Cletus Awreetus

Post by Cletus Awreetus »

I have several of these and haven't made a user of one yet. Primarily because ebay and PT Barnum have convinced me that each and every one will produce, on down the road.

" I'd hate to run up on a bear at Bear lake with just that. :D"
you could clean his claws with it and tell him about your lightning fast knife buying trigger finger! :lol:
-the problem with society today is, no one drinks from the skulls of their dead enemies anymore..-
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is my Bear Lake, giraffe bone. I really like this knife both blade and in hand feel, and tip end is easy to control. You could cape with this knife.
I would like to find the mammoth version of this knife.
kj
Attachments
IMGP4667.JPG
IMGP4666.JPG
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Yes that one looks much nicer than this release Roland. They need to revisit that spear blade. ::nod::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Here are pictures of the Kudu bone example I received. It was #24 in the July 2018 release. I like the material. The surface is smooth to the touch and it has visual depth and texture which probably comes from the dye settling into the pores in the bone. I had never heard of Kudu until this release of the Bear Lake. Just today I noticed another maker using Kudu.
Attachments
Northwoods Bear Lake 2018 Kudu Bone #24 Front & Back.jpg
Northwoods Bear Lake 2018 Kudu Bone #24 Top & Bottom.jpg
Northwoods Bear Lake 2018 Kudu Bone #24 #3 small.jpg
Northwoods Bear Lake 2018 Kudu Bone #24 #4 small.jpg
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Here are pictures of the Mammoth Bear Lake that I received. It was #2 of 4 that were in the July 2018 release. As others have mentioned with regard to the blade, my preference also would have been for a spear blade.
Attachments
Northwoods Bear Lake 2018 Mammoth #2 Front & Back.jpg
Northwoods Bear Lake 2018 Mammoth #2 Top & Bottom.jpg
Northwoods Bear Lake 2018 Mammoth #2 #3 small.jpg
Northwoods Bear Lake 2018 Mammoth #2 #4 small.jpg
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Boy you got the pick of the litter with that mammoth Jerry! ::tu:: That one is top shelf. ::nod::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

gsmith7158 wrote:Boy you got the pick of the litter with that mammoth Jerry! ::tu:: That one is top shelf. ::nod::
And got a Kudo too, the stars must have been aligned for you! :D
Larry

Each one, teach one.
FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by FarSide »

RalphAlsip wrote:Here are pictures of the Mammoth Bear Lake that I received. It was #2 of 4 that were in the July 2018 release. As others have mentioned with regard to the blade, my preference also would have been for a spear blade.
Amazing Mammoth. Equally amazing is you were able to score one. Congrats.
-Tim
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

RalphAlsip wrote:Here are pictures of the Kudu bone example I received. It was #24 in the July 2018 release. I like the material. The surface is smooth to the touch and it has visual depth and texture which probably comes from the dye settling into the pores in the bone. I had never heard of Kudu until this release of the Bear Lake. Just today I noticed another maker using Kudu.
Ralph, those are some nice nice pics! Both your kudu and mammoth pics are very good. According to the KSF site, kudu is "Porous bone filled with resin". Which means it's a stabilized bone, so it probably won't move much if ever. How did you take those pics, what backdrop and camera did you use? I'll understand if those are trade secrets, I'm just fishing for knife photography tips.

And congrats again on a stupendous score!

Lee
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Thanks all for the gracious comments.
m0nk wrote:How did you take those pics, what backdrop and camera did you use?
Lee, I am happy to share my picture taking process - please check your PM's.

The link below provides a really good tutorial. It takes about 15 minutes to read and is very practical for people who want to take nice product photos, but don't want to be a professional photographer and don't want a professional photography studio.

https://www.shopify.com/blog/12206313-t ... hotography

The video link below is a good 5 minute overview of "ISO", Shutter Speed, and F-Stops.

https://vimeo.com/70501344
FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by FarSide »

The two I received. Was only going for one, but thought I lost one, and went for another one. You don't have time to correct your cart .
Now its eenie meenie miney mo, think one's gotta go. Think I'm liking the Red Micarta more for some reason ::hmm:: ::undecided::
Bear Lakes.JPG
-Tim
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

FarSide wrote:The two I received. Was only going for one, but thought I lost one, and went for another one. You don't have time to correct your cart .
Now its eenie meenie miney mo, think one's gotta go. Think I'm liking the Red Micarta more for some reason ::hmm:: ::undecided::

Bear Lakes.JPG
Those are both very nice!
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by FarSide »

Railsplitter wrote:
FarSide wrote:The two I received. Was only going for one, but thought I lost one, and went for another one. You don't have time to correct your cart .

Bear Lakes.JPG
Those are both very nice!
Thanks. Indeed, they are both nice.I really like the size of the Bear Lake. I was sure I wanted a Fremont, but now that I have seen comparison pics I prefer the Bear Lake. Really is a mini Fremont with the end cap they used this time.
-Tim
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The red linen micarta is very sleek & classy. The stag looks more like the country boy here.
kj
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

Mine will be here tomorrow. ::ds:: Michigan was 3 days quicker sipping time.
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

IMG_20180720_185440.jpg
MVIMG_20180720_185506.jpg
New with the old. Flush in all 3 positions. Good walk and talk. The spear point is close on 1/4" longer in blade length. One other noticable change is in the grind. The flat grind goes higher closer to the spine. Check the NORTHWOODS lettering, on the old is mainly on the flat, quite a bit of the logo lower into the blade's grind now. Likely less regrinds forthcoming.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

robbobus wrote:Mine will be here tomorrow. ::ds:: Michigan was 3 days quicker sipping time.
Robbobus what did you mean by three days sipping time? You're not sitting there with a bottle of 12 year old Wild Turkey waiting on that Bear Lake are you?
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

Haha. Shipping time. More of a tea sipper anyway.☕
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Rob, despite a crazy scramble you somehow are able to score some of the best stag in each run. Both Bear Lake knives look Superb.
kj
Tony_Wood

Post by Tony_Wood »

robbobus wrote:IMG_20180720_185440.jpgMVIMG_20180720_185506.jpg

New with the old. Flush in all 3 positions. Good walk and talk. The spear point is close on 1/4" longer in blade length. One other noticable change is in the grind. The flat grind goes higher closer to the spine. Check the NORTHWOODS lettering, on the old is mainly on the flat, quite a bit of the logo lower into the blade's grind now. Likely less regrinds forthcoming.
Beauts. Twin beauts!!
https://m.facebook.com/sheepsfootknives/?ref=bookmarks

Instagram: #sheepsfootknivesbytwood
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Taking some pics today and tried to capture the translucence of this Kudu bone. Pretty wild stuff.
Attachments
019.JPG
017.JPG
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.

Return to “Northwoods Knife Collector's Forum”