Fremont Jacks dropping 6/6/18 at 4PM ET

The Northwoods Knife brand name originated in Gladstone, Michigan when a man named Dave Shirley adopted it as his knife company's name in 2004. Dave was well known for collaborating with popular knife companies to have knives made to his specifications for resale well before 2004 & beyond. KnivesShipFree bought Northwoods from Dave & has continued to team up with respected makers to produce knives marked with the Northwoods brand name.
kootenay joe

Re: Fremont Jacks dropping 6/6/18 at 4PM ET

Post by kootenay joe »

I took a nap and woke up 12 minutes after the hour and all were gone. After reading the above comments my nap saved me some frustration.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

For those who did manage to buy one of the new Fremonts i hope you post a picture of your knife here in this thread. I particularly would like to see the Stag & Mammoth ones.
kj
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

I joined the Northwoods group on Facebook so that I would have all base covered when it came to detecting an imminent Northwoods drop. From my observation so far it appears tha a large portion of that group is French or German. Is anybody here at AAPK a member of that group?
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

Screenshot_2018-06-06-15-04-18.png
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

robbobus wrote:Screenshot_2018-06-06-15-04-18.png
NICE!!
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Here's the mammoth I snagged!
Attachments
005.JPG
006.JPG
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Nice snag, Greg!
Rick T.

kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Good one ! Mammoth is a lovely handle material, especially on a knife with caps. If a barehead, when dropped onto a hard surface the mammoth, like elephant ivory, could crack or even have a piece break off. Caps on the Fremont give some needed protection.
If you want another mammoth Fremont there is one on ebay for $695.
kj
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

Greg, that mammoth is really nice! Do you have any tips or advice for snagging a natural handle NW knife? My strategy going into the scramble was, get in and get out with a red micarta, and the plan worked perfectly. My computer clock said 3:01 when the first pictures and links appeared, and my transaction was complete by about 3:02. By about 3:07 it was all over. My knife shipped out on Thursday and arrived today. Here it is:
fremont_jack_2.PNG
This knife has been on my mind for months, looking for one or something comparable. So what's the big deal? Why the fuss about a Fremont Jack? There are plenty of sheepsfoot and wharnie blades to be had out there. It's not a matter of blade length or handle shape, as shown in the photo with my #78 single. After all, the #78 and #79 frames are identical except for the pivot end.
fj_amjack_single.PNG
My Colonial E-4 Coping Blade is the same blade thickness, nearly the same handle length, and about the same blade length. The Colonial cost $20, and the FJ was $130. So was it worth it?
fj_colonial_e4.PNG
In short, YES! ::ds:: It was worth the wait, and worth every penny. The Fremont Jack has hit some kind of sweet spot of blade shape/thickness/style and handle configuration that nobody else has found. I'm already looking forward to the next run of these so I can get one for each of my sons. This is the first Northwoods example that I've handled, and I agree with a previous comment here that a Northwoods is basically a Tidioute with a higher price tag. Nevertheless, this is a special knife and the price seems fair considering that you get a leather slip, copper coin, a unique style, and a thicker blade than a Tidioute. Well done, KSF!

Lee
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

m0nk wrote:Nevertheless, this is a special knife and the price seems fair considering that you get a leather slip, copper coin, a unique style, and a thicker blade than a Tidioute. Well done, KSF!

Lee
Fantastic looking knife! I was wondering something. Since the Northwood knives come in a leather slip instead of a box, do you store your knife in the slip like you would a box, or is that a no-no? When shipped, does it come in a waxed paper like the GEC's do? If they don't, could you actually use wax paper to protect the knife and then store it in the slip? I know that I have asked a lot of questions, but that is the only way I can learn. :D Thanks.
Larry

Each one, teach one.
imhuntn

Post by imhuntn »

gsmith7158 wrote:I joined the Northwoods group on Facebook so that I would have all base covered when it came to detecting an imminent Northwoods drop. From my observation so far it appears tha a large portion of that group is French or German. Is anybody here at AAPK a member of that group?
I also follow that group Greg.
Looking for Black Pearl and Mammoth knives.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

imhuntn wrote:
gsmith7158 wrote:I joined the Northwoods group on Facebook so that I would have all base covered when it came to detecting an imminent Northwoods drop. From my observation so far it appears tha a large portion of that group is French or German. Is anybody here at AAPK a member of that group?
I also follow that group Greg.
Hey Imhuntin, I 've never made a post there but it does give you a heads up when something might be in the pipeline. Have you ever bought or traded with any of the people on there. I don't think some of those guys require as much money as the ebay flippers.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
imhuntn

Post by imhuntn »

Yes, I have dealt with a few of those guys. Like eBay, it's a mixed bag. Some are looking to make a minimal profit and others are looking to make bank. At the end of the day, the more sources we tap into, the better the odds of finding what we're looking for imo. ::tu::
Looking for Black Pearl and Mammoth knives.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The #77 Yankee Jack & #78 American Jack are both made on the same 3 3/4" sleeveboard frame with blade at the narrow end.
Am i correct that the Fremont is made with this same frame but with blade at wider end ?
Two ebay auctions/sales just closed: a Stag Fremont $495, and a Stag #78 $142. The quality of these knives is the same. The Stag is comparable, very nice on both. The blades differ and i prefer the spearpoint on the 78 over the Wharncliffe-like on the Fremont.
My point is that the name "Northwoods" brought in an extra $350. Or you could say the Northwoods branding enabled the knife to sell for more than 3x it's actual value.
kj
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

All I can say about this is .....CRAZY!!
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

kootenay joe wrote:The #77 Yankee Jack & #78 American Jack are both made on the same 3 3/4" sleeveboard frame with blade at the narrow end.
Am i correct that the Fremont is made with this same frame but with blade at wider end ?
Two ebay auctions/sales just closed: a Stag Fremont $495, and a Stag #78 $142. The quality of these knives is the same. The Stag is comparable, very nice on both. The blades differ and i prefer the spearpoint on the 78 over the Wharncliffe-like on the Fremont.
My point is that the name "Northwoods" brought in an extra $350. Or you could say the Northwoods branding enabled the knife to sell for more than 3x it's actual value.
kj
KJ, although they are all the same nominal length, all three of those frames are distinct. The #77 frame has little corners on the narrow end. The #78 is rounded on the little end. The Fremont Jack is made on the #79 frame, my examples show that the 79 is maybe 1/16" longer than the 78, and of course the 79 is hinged on the big end. And to my eye the 79 little end is just a tiny bit narrower than the 78 little end. To your point, the NW knife certainly does appear to fetch a higher price. Although the FJ blade is made with 1/8" stock compared to the #78 blade at 3/32" stock, the difference is visible, and the FJ style is unlike anything else. I will admit that the fit and finish on my new FJ is not as good as my Tidioute and Northfield #78 American Jacks. I'm actually wondering if my FJ shouldn't have been a factory second. There's a blemish on one side of the swedge, the little end has an unground "corner", and the blade is off center when closed. Despite all this I'm glad I have the FJ, I love the knife, and I still think it's worth every penny. I suppose you could say I'm a full-fledged Fremont Jack fan-boy, completely brainwashed and googlely-eyed!

Lee
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

boykinlp wrote: Fantastic looking knife! I was wondering something. Since the Northwood knives come in a leather slip instead of a box, do you store your knife in the slip like you would a box, or is that a no-no? When shipped, does it come in a waxed paper like the GEC's do? If they don't, could you actually use wax paper to protect the knife and then store it in the slip? I know that I have asked a lot of questions, but that is the only way I can learn. :D Thanks.
Larry, I'll tell you what I do and I'd like to hear others chime in with their opinions. I don't store any knives in a leather slip because leather retains moisture and causes rust on blades and will tarnish nickel silver bolsters very quickly. On a daily carry basis a leather pocket slip is fine because I'm taking the knife in and out, and I take it out and put it away at the end of the day. But leather is a definite no-no for long term storage; this goes for fixed blades in leather sheaths for sure. My Fremont Jack did not ship in waxed paper, it was just in the slip. It might be my imagination but I thought the bolsters had a hint of tarnish when I first got it out of the slip, but it wiped off just on my shirt. I make little nylon web slips that I store my knives in when I'm not using them, but even they leave little nylon web pattern prints on the nickel silver bolsters because I wipe my knives down with mineral oil every now and then. I might need to rethink my storage method! They sell little soft slips like socks for knife storage, and I might need to look into those. Not sure what they're called. If you really wanted to wrap a knife in waxed paper before storing it in a leather slip I suppose it would help, but I'm not sure why you'd want to do that. I consider a leather pocket slip to be a daily carry aid and not a storage solution.

On a slightly different note, my Fremont Jack arrived in a dark brown Northwoods slip and not in the nice "moccasin" that previous runs have shipped in. I'm no leather expert, but I believe that the slip might not be real leather; it appears to be a composite pressed leather product. Can anyone else comment on this? I've basically thrown it into a drawer with no plans to use it because I already have a verifiable leather KSF slip, and also a freebie KSF buffalo leather slip. I sewed a Nano Key|Smart clip at the top of the buffalo leather slip; I hook it on my pocket to keep the knife upright and out of the bottom of my pocket. Works like a charm.

Lee
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

m0nk, i think the differences you describe for the 77, 78 & Fremont are due to the different bolsters and caps placed onto the same frame.
The only significant difference between the Fremont and the Yankee Jack(77) & American Jack(78) is the blade which is unique to Northwoods. If you want that blade you have to buy a Northwoods. If you like a spearpoint or clip blade just as well then the regular run GEC is a better deal cash wise, by a factor of ~ 3.
My point is that Northwoods has become just another GEC. Think back to the Norfolk Whittler or 2 blade Presidential Jack, beautiful knives and quite different from regular run GEC's. I want Northwoods to get back to being a truly special upscale brand.
kj
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

kootenay joe wrote:m0nk, i think the differences you describe for the 77, 78 & Fremont are due to the different bolsters and caps placed onto the same frame.
The only significant difference between the Fremont and the Yankee Jack(77) & American Jack(78) is the blade which is unique to Northwoods. If you want that blade you have to buy a Northwoods. If you like a spearpoint or clip blade just as well then the regular run GEC is a better deal cash wise, by a factor of ~ 3.
My point is that Northwoods has become just another GEC. Think back to the Norfolk Whittler or 2 blade Presidential Jack, beautiful knives and quite different from regular run GEC's. I want Northwoods to get back to being a truly special upscale brand.
kj
KJ, I'd be interested to know if that's how they actually make them. All I know is that they have different GEC frame numbers with distinguishable features. I can also compare my #78 SMKW SFO single with the Fremont Jack. The SMKW 78 single cost $100 (SMKW charged for shipping!) and the FJ cost $130. The FJ comes with a "leather" slip and a copper coin, each of which might be worth $10. If you look at it that way, it brings the price of the FJ itself down to $110. Now the FJ has micarta covers while the 78 single is gorgeous jigged bone, and the FJ has steel liners while the 78 has brass liners, so we're not really comparing apples to apples. And don't forget the blade thickness is a real consideration. But from a purely price perspective the difference is not all that dramatic when considering original vendor retail prices. Of course, secondary prices are totally absurd due to the scalper/buyer phenomenon. I hear you that the overall difference in NW models vs. GEC house brands is not dramatic, but it was enough for me since I'll admit that I'm totally enamored with the Fremont Jack.

Lee
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I forgot that the Northwoods have steel liners which along with the blade are the 2 differences between NW & regular run GEC. (not just the blade as i posted above). The original retail price of the NW's is very reasonable. It is the secondary market where people are willing to pay up to 3 times the original price that i think is unsustainable. I have been wrong before with my predictions so maybe the NW will increase even more over time.
Quote: "they have different GEC frame numbers ", these are pattern numbers and numerous patterns can use the same frame.
Think sleeveboard, blade at wide end or blade at narrow end, same frame but different patterns so different pattern numbers.
kj

Here is a mammoth Fremont that just sold for $550:
Attachments
s-l200.jpg
s-l200.jpg (74.98 KiB) Viewed 3702 times
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Sometimes GEC will assign different pattern numbers to the same frame based on whether or not the knife has half stops. The #53 and #54 frames are one example. Identical equal end frames but the #53 doesn't have half stops and the #54 does.

To add even more confusion, they made the #35 frames both ways but didn't assign a different pattern number. The Calf Pen Jacks and the Northwoods Delta Jacks have half stops but the Churchills dont.
Rick T.

boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

Here is my first Northwoods knife. I think it is really beautiful. Apparently GEC has quite a stag pile.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Larry

Each one, teach one.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Very nice Larry! Congrats on that beauty. ::tu::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by FarSide »

Nice one Larry.
-Tim
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Man, i'll say, That is a BEAUTY ! It is knives like this beauty that create the Northwoods Frenzy. I am a tad jealous.
kj

Return to “Northwoods Knife Collector's Forum”