Imminent Northwoods Release

The Northwoods Knife brand name originated in Gladstone, Michigan when a man named Dave Shirley adopted it as his knife company's name in 2004. Dave was well known for collaborating with popular knife companies to have knives made to his specifications for resale well before 2004 & beyond. KnivesShipFree bought Northwoods from Dave & has continued to team up with respected makers to produce knives marked with the Northwoods brand name.
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Imminent Northwoods Release

Post by robbobus »

I was just reading elsewhere that Mr. Bohn stated on a facebook forum that a new run of Northwoods is to be released this week. Rumour is a previously unreleased barlow, my guess on the 78 frame. Previous releases are on Tuesdays, my receipts are dated 4:01 PM. I think the time is eastern, not sure tho. I know i will be online at 2:55 cental time just in case.

This is just based on rumour, but KSF is masterful with getting maximum impact with a minimum of information.

As always, my tips for success, especially with the natural handles is to work quickly. Be logged in to KSF. Place in cart and go directly to checkout as others can place the same unit in their cart. I use my credit card as the time lag with PayPal has cost me Delta jacks. With the micartas, you can maybe choose a couple handles and then checkout. 2 - 3 minutes and the natural materials are gone, 8 - 10 for the micartas.

Best of luck if you are inclined.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Imminent Northwoods Release

Post by Railsplitter »

Good info. Thanks for the heads up.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I understand this thread because i have participated in the "Frenzy".
What has happened to us ?
We are talking about the fastest way to get rid of our money in exchange for something we have not seen and don't even know what it is, other than a Northwoods knife.
There is an old French term for the effect that happens when 2 people both suffering from delusions get into a relationship of any sort (friend, acquaintance, partner, etc.). It is "Folie a Deux" and refers to the effect that both people's delusions will increase and become ever more dominant in their behaviour.
I believe it is Folie a Deux that explains why we have threads like this.

I am not wanting to derail this thread so i will add my tip:
kj
claywall

Post by claywall »

Mr. Bohn's business approach, in my opinion, is laughable (or cryable, depending on how you look at it). About a year ago I was made aware of a really nice knife coming up for release via his website. I read all I could about it and was on-line to try and get one when the starting pistol was fired. They were gone so fast, it was unbelievable! I called their offices and talked to a young gatekeeper there and let him know how ridiculous their approach was! If they had/have a product that so many people want and are willing to pay good money for, why limit that product to such a very few pieces? I mean, is he so well off that he can afford to NOT make sales to people that are just begging him to take their money? Apparently. Well, the young gatekeeper proceeded to tell me how great his boss was and how he cared about his customers, etc. Good for him for being a loyal employee. However, after letting the young man know that it was kind of like a slap in the face to read all of Mr. Bohn's gushing words and hype about his great, upcoming release and not even get to try and purchase one, I told him I would not be participating in the great feeding frenzy anymore. I'm probably in the minority, but, oh well..................
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The Northwoods knives are made by Great Eastern Cutlery which is a relatively small knife manufacturing company. A run of 500 knives is a big order for GEC. Were they to try to make say 1,000 Northwoods either the quality would suffer or their work force would be tied up too long on the one order. GEC also makes their own lines of knives.
The limitation therefore is not due to KSF but by the capacity of GEC.
AS for Derrick Bohn the owner of KSF & the Northwoods brand, i believe he does truly care about his employees and about the quality of every knife that KSF sells
kj
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

I have not seen a release notice yet.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

I don't have a Facebook account but apparently these are dropping tomorrow at 4:00pm EST.
Attachments
1YicY2C.jpg
Rick T.

kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

If my math is correct this means 1300 hrs for me in the Pacific time zone.
The Dogleg Jack is perhaps my favorite Jack pattern but i have had too much already of his modified Wharncliffe blade. I would much prefer this knife with a long swaged Clip or Spearpoint blade.
This is about the 7th or 8th 'Bohncliffe' blade Northwoods. Come on Derrick, give us a knife with a blade profile that has stood the test of time; 'nuf of these 'cheese slicer', pickle poking blades.
kj
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

I can't tell from the pic,are the two on the right smooth micarta? ::shrug::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

gsmith7158 wrote:I can't tell from the pic,are the two on the right smooth micarta? ::shrug::
Yes, I believe so Greg. The Burlap Micarta on the left will also be virtually smooth but might have a very slight texture.
Rick T.

gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Railsplitter wrote:
gsmith7158 wrote:I can't tell from the pic,are the two on the right smooth micarta? ::shrug::
Yes, I believe so Greg. The Burlap Micarta on the left will also be virtually smooth but might have a very slight texture.
I gotcha Rick! At first look I thought the red one might be bone and the black might be ebony, but I see no grain in the black so I guessed they were probably both micarta. :x
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

A Delta Jack blade in a Dog Leg frame. It's okay but thanks anyway.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

jerryd6818 wrote:A Delta Jack blade in a Dog Leg frame. It's okay but thanks anyway.
Yeah, I won't be getting one of these either but I might sit and watch the frenzy just for the sake of entertainment. I also like to get a look at the dealer price while I have a chance.
Rick T.

QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

kootenay joe wrote:If my math is correct this means 1300 hrs for me in the Pacific time zone.
The Dogleg Jack is perhaps my favorite Jack pattern but i have had too much already of his modified Wharncliffe blade. I would much prefer this knife with a long swaged Clip or Spearpoint blade.
This is about the 7th or 8th 'Bohncliffe' blade Northwoods. Come on Derrick, give us a knife with a blade profile that has stood the test of time; 'nuf of these 'cheese slicer', pickle poking blades.
kj
I'm not sure what you mean by "a blade profile that has stood the test of time" but it seems to me that the Wharncliffe profile would qualify for this distinction as it has been around for well over 100 years--at least the name "Wharncliffe," how long the actual profile predates the name is anyone's guess. Some would argue it originated with the Vikings and others claim it began even further back in history in ancient Rome or China.

Regardless of history, the Wharncliffe is a very useful blade shape. In addition to slicing cheese and poking pickles, it is perfectly suited for opening boxes and envelopes and excels in box-cutter type chores. Additionally, a modified Wharncliffe profile has traditionally been the preference of sailors and seamen for cutting rope and more recently in combat situations for it's piercing ability in tactical applications. According to knifemaker William Woods, "I know that for me, there are very few blade shapes that can compare with the slicing ability of a Wharncliffe. When you slice with a drop point, bowie or spearpoint blade, the tip is usually doing very little work. As the blade slices, the belly of the ground edge cuts the material. This makes for a very smooth draw cut, but a flat bevel will drag that thinner, sharper tip straight through. A properly maintained flat bevel cuts like a laser beam and because you can see the tip at all times, it allows for a level of tip control not possible with other knives."

What I find curious is that despite the obvious success and overwhelming popularity of the Northwoods knives (including the last 7 or 8 with "Bohncliffe" blades) so few modern knife manufacturers currently make knives with such a useful (not to mention traditional) blade profile as the Wharncliffe.

~Q~
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The blade in these Northwoods is not a true Wharncliffe. It is Wharncliffe-like.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I was there at the opening bell: 3 pages of Giraffe bone handles, very attractive, range of colors but for $190 i don't want yet another knife with the same blade. I already have 5 i think. So i watched them disappear over the next 6 minutes. If it had a different blade i would have nabbed one. I like a Dogleg & the Giraffe bone looks as good as mammoth, but not the right blade for me.
roland
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

kootenay joe wrote:I was there at the opening bell: 3 pages of Giraffe bone handles, very attractive, range of colors but for $190 i don't want yet another knife with the same blade. I already have 5 i think. So i watched them disappear over the next 6 minutes. If it had a different blade i would have nabbed one. I like a Dogleg & the Giraffe bone looks as good as mammoth, but not the right blade for me.
roland
I was there too Roland and tried to get two giraffes but they were sold by the time I got to check out. Went back for a micarta and wound up with nothing. ::teary_eyes::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Greg, it will be interesting to see how many of these new Northwoods show up on ebay in the next 2-3 weeks. There were 3 full pages of Giraffe bone. Anyone know how many knives to fill a KSF page ?
The Delta Jack showed up on ebay a day after KSF sold them. Some of the Micarta ones sold at $250 but there are still examples on ebay for about $175, not that much higher than original price. The same selling pattern might happen with this Dogleg Northwoods: wait 2-3 weeks and then pick up a Micarta one for not much more than yesterday's price.
The Giraffe bone knives likely will get a higher price on ebay as every one is unique and all are attractive.
kj
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Well I was really bummed out about not getting one of the new Northwoods today, so after I arrived at my destination tonight I leisurely went back to KSF and purchased a single blade Ebony American Jack and immediately felt much better. I just don't believe I'm cut out for that frenetic feeding frenzy. I'll just have to do without Northwoods until they come back to earth a bit. ::groove::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Quote: " I'll just have to do without Northwoods until they come back to earth a bit."
The last few Northwoods have not been significantly different from the regular run GEC's except in blade profile & price. The GEC's in the Dogleg pattern will soon be released. I plan to get one of these and it will likely have a choice of blade profiles and in a single blade and 2 blade versions. I think these will be a better choice than the just sold out Northwoods Fayette Jack.
I'm hoping for a Stag/Mammoth/Giraffe Bone with a full saber ground Spearpoint blade.
Here is an #85 with such a blade:
kj
Attachments
IMGP3409.JPG
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I missed out of the Northwoods Delta Jack in part because it did not impress me and i already have many knives with the 'Bohncliffe' blade.
One early morning a week or so ago i saw a Delta Jack auction near closing and bid for the thrill, not intending to win. Others i had seen on ebay all sold at $200 or better. But here i did win at $178.50. It has Red Burlap Micarta handles.
I picked it up yesterday.
Man, what an ugly knife !
It works perfectly and is obviously a strong knife that you can torque on when all else has failed. But this Red Burlap looks dirty as though already used & worn & soiled.
I'll post a pic when the sun comes up a little higher; "Hark yonder breaks the dawn".
Anybody want a Northwoods Delta Jack cheap ? Brand New with baggie & coin & Northwoods sheath, Wow !
kj
Attachments
IMGP3432.JPG
IMGP3436.JPG
IMGP3437.JPG
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

That sounds terrible, Roland. On one hand, I sympathize with you. On the other hand, I can't wait to see your pics.
Rick T.

kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

O.K. pics now posted above. Perhaps i over stated it's lack of appeal ? Maybe it is attractive to some ?
Northwoods has been an 'upscale' brand. As far as materials & workmanship go this is a standard 'entry level' GEC. It differs only in blade profile.
What did this sell for originally ?
kj
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

I bought one of the Green Burlap Micarta Deltas from the KSF drop but only owned it for one day before passing it on to someone else for what I paid plus shipping and Paypal fees. I sold it for $160 and I'm pretty sure the dealer price on the Burlaps was $149.95.

I think your knife looks exactly like it's supposed to look and I would say that you did OK on the secondary market price too.
Rick T.

Return to “Northwoods Knife Collector's Forum”