Post your Favorite Northwoods Knife

The Northwoods Knife brand name originated in Gladstone, Michigan when a man named Dave Shirley adopted it as his knife company's name in 2004. Dave was well known for collaborating with popular knife companies to have knives made to his specifications for resale well before 2004 & beyond. KnivesShipFree bought Northwoods from Dave & has continued to team up with respected makers to produce knives marked with the Northwoods brand name.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Post your Favorite Northwoods Knife

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Drop dead gorgeous knives. Those patterns in ivory are spectacular.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by FarSide »

kootenay joe wrote:My favorite Northwoods pattern is the Norfolk which was made as a pen knife and as a whittler. But these are tied with my GEC Conductor, a swell center pen knife for overall favorite GEC made knife.
kj
Indeed, very nice group there.
-Tim
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

KJ, The Northwoods Norfolks and the GEC Conductor knives are fantastic examples of knives as art.
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

Roland, any of those are the pinnacle of what has come out of Great Eastern Cutlery. Thanks for sharing.

As an aside, thank you for what you contribute to AAPK's community. You are an asset and a gentleman.
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

Double post.
Cletus Awreetus

Post by Cletus Awreetus »

hey Roland,
here's my ivory Conductor along with the Dog Paw sfo I'd mentioned. I need to check the numbers again but I could swear there are less than 10 of the ivory knife w/bale. Thanks again for your help, you are far too generous with your time!
Attachments
conductors 9-13-19.JPG
-the problem with society today is, no one drinks from the skulls of their dead enemies anymore..-
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Cletus, I'm all-board with your Conductors. Very nice. ::tu:: ::tu::
Cletus Awreetus

Post by Cletus Awreetus »

well, thankya kindly Ralph.
so it's 35 pcs with clip/pen, 3pcs with clip/coping. dang..."missed it by that much."--Agent 86
2 yrs later they did a Conductor Whittler. Man, love to get my mitts on one a them..
-the problem with society today is, no one drinks from the skulls of their dead enemies anymore..-
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

O.K. so that is the "Dog Paw". I have not seen it before. There are 7 Conductors with mammoth handles, but no bale. Anyone have one to show ?
They used the same pattern to make a whittler in 2013 but none had ivory or mammoth handles.
Question: what pattern number is the Northwoods Norfolk pen & whittler ? I would like to see GEC do a run of Norfolk knives.
Thanks for the supportive comments. We all try our best here.
kj
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Heritage Jack going to the stratosphere. Never thought I'd see any Northwoods reach this height. Man was I wrong. Gotta see it to believe it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Northwoods-Her ... 3234527186

Guess it was a good investment. Thanks to Derrick Bohn. RIP blade brother, you're still giving to us all. And if GEC had any business sense whatsoever they would keep making stuff like this, they could put their own name on it and a different shield and sell their knives for several times what they are currently going for. Ammmmaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazzziiing. Rock on Northwoods.
Attachments
thumbnail_20200721_152404.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Wow! I missed out on the KSF drop off the Heritage jack but was able to trade a fremont for a mammoth Heritage. That's starting to look like a pretty good trade. The Heritage is about as close to a Forest jack as you can get. They are awesome knives.
Attachments
IMG_6350 (2).JPG
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Ivoryman wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:12 pm Heritage Jack going to the stratosphere. Never thought I'd see any Northwoods reach this height. Man was I wrong. Gotta see it to believe it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Northwoods-Her ... 3234527186

Guess it was a good investment. Thanks to Derrick Bohn. RIP blade brother, you're still giving to us all. And if GEC had any business sense whatsoever they would keep making stuff like this, they could put their own name on it and a different shield and sell their knives for several times what they are currently going for. Ammmmaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazzziiing. Rock on Northwoods.

Just crazy.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

gsmith7158 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:37 pm Wow! I missed out on the KSF drop off the Heritage jack but was able to trade a fremont for a mammoth Heritage. That's starting to look like a pretty good trade. The Heritage is about as close to a Forest jack as you can get. They are awesome knives.
Fine looking Forest gsmith. Love the speckled bone on that one. Do you recall the pattern those are on? I can't tell if it's 35, 53, or 54, or what? Love the bare head too, don't see that as much as they used to do either. Keep 'em coming, seems like you have a fine pile of Northwoods.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Buckibbq
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Buckibbq »

This one hasn’t been in the barn very long, but it has quickly moved to the top of the heap. This one is one of the first run Fremonts from 2013.
0449837D-58D1-427B-8721-7AE0C5B2C6E0.jpeg
I’m a long time collector in search of rare and limited GEC AND Northwoods knives. Always looking to add ivory pieces to my collection. PM to discuss sales or trades, please!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Oh my ! What a Knife ! It's value now is likely into 4 figures. If it ever wants to migrate to Canada please let me know ! 8)
kj
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Hard to pick one, probably the Ivory Willamette Whittler but I really like the Mammoth Esky Zulu also.
Attachments
IMG_1523.jpeg
IMG_0539.jpeg
IMG_0533.jpeg
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Easy for me. Whatever John here has, in whatever pattern. He'll have the coolest looking one around for sure. Wow those are incredible.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Incredible is a good description. ::tu::
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Thanks guys. ::tu:: ::tu::
RAMROD

Post by RAMROD »

My favorite pattern is the Big Bay and I love giraffe bone.
Attachments
20210612_090408.jpg
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Gorgeous group ramrod, wow what a show you and John are putting on. Hard not to like giraffe. Love seeing these babies, keep 'em coming. Beautiful.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

RAMROD wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:38 am My favorite pattern is the Big Bay and I love giraffe bone.
::tu:: ::tu::
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by FarSide »

RAMROD wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:38 am My favorite pattern is the Big Bay and I love giraffe bone.
Amazing how much variation there is in giraffe bone. Nice group. Like the one on the left ::tu::
-Tim
DMB

Post by DMB »

Michigan Jack in Burnt Stag
301590EA-448F-4E4A-818A-84C88461BBBE.jpeg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Nice Northwoods DMB ! The Burnside Jack with blue bone, is it Camel or Giraffe ? And what is the red one at top of picture ? The stag Michigan jack with the EO might be my favorite of the 4 you show. I think only some of the Michigan jacks have the EO ?
kj

Return to “Northwoods Knife Collector's Forum”