Dave Shirley Northwoods

The Northwoods Knife brand name originated in Gladstone, Michigan when a man named Dave Shirley adopted it as his knife company's name in 2004. Dave was well known for collaborating with popular knife companies to have knives made to his specifications for resale well before 2004 & beyond. KnivesShipFree bought Northwoods from Dave & has continued to team up with respected makers to produce knives marked with the Northwoods brand name.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Dave Shirley Northwoods

Post by gsmith7158 »

Here's one I picked up tonight. Should be here next week. An interesting design of Bill Scagel in my opinion . I can't wait to see it.
Attachments
Nortwoods fixed folder.jpg
Northwoods fixed folder 4.jpg
Northwoods fixed folder 3.jpg
Northwoods fixed folder 2.jpg
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Greg the knife kinda looks like a german games keeper knife but with out the cork screw. I have admired that look. You picked up a beauty there. ::tu:: ::tu::
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

doglegg wrote:Greg the knife kinda looks like a german games keeper knife but with out the cork screw. I have admired that look. You picked up a beauty there. ::tu:: ::tu::
Thanks doglegg! I had seen a Bill Scagel knife like that before but I didn't know Northwoods had made a repro of it till I saw it . Pretty cool looking knife. ::nod::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I saw that knife when first released. It was possibly the most expensive of Dave Shirley's 'Scagel' knives but it did sell out fairly quickly.
kj
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

kootenay joe wrote:I saw that knife when first released. It was possibly the most expensive of Dave Shirley's 'Scagel' knives but it did sell out fairly quickly.
kj
Roland I saw a 2008 listing on Blade forums when they were released. About $208 I think it was.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Add a New Dave Shirley Northwoods Pearl Gunstock with Clip Blade
Attachments
Gunstock Pearl
Gunstock Pearl
Microtech ,Smith & Wesson ,S&M, Northwoods 055.JPG
Microtech ,Smith & Wesson ,S&M, Northwoods 053.JPG
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Add a couple more
Attachments
Cotton Sampler & Swing Guard
Cotton Sampler & Swing Guard
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Nice pair, Gary.

I think I have the twin to your swing guard.
P1280249.JPG
P1280255.JPG
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

gsmith7158 wrote:Here's one I picked up tonight. Should be here next week. An interesting design of Bill Scagel in my opinion . I can't wait to see it.
I think I have the twin to your Scagel, Greg.
P2280376.JPG
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

QTCut5 wrote:Nice pair, Gary.

I think I have the twin to your swing guard.

P1280249.JPGP1280255.JPG
Nice QTCut5 ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
RAMROD

Post by RAMROD »

Any idea what a Northwoods everyday barlow in blue camel bone made in Gladstone, MI might be worth today? ::shrug::

Thanks, Rick
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The GEC made Northwoods are very 'hot' sellers. Many collectors are looking for them. The D.S. Northwoods are also in demand but to a lesser degree. I think the natural handle material ones are more sought after than those with acrylic handles.
It would be a help to see a picture of the knife you are asking about because then i could better judge how much i would be willing to pay for it. Then you would know it is worth more than that amount, because, on Northwoods, i always get outbid.
Picture for an answer in dollars.
kj
RAMROD

Post by RAMROD »

Screenshot_20190927-093416_Messenger.jpg
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Nice Ramrod ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

The Everyday barlow was Queen made. It doesn't show up for sale that often and is a nice knife. Not high on the Northwoods value tho and usually sells around $125.
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Christmas family photo of my Northwoods not all are Dave Shirley but I don't think it will matter
Merry Christmas & Happy New Year
Attachments
IMG_5414.JPG
tughillbrookie

Post by tughillbrookie »

and here I'd just like ONE of those Fremont Jacks...I got into the Northwoods game a little late. Oh well. Nice picture. Hopefully at least one of them gets some use.
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

tughillbrookie wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:36 pm and here I'd just like ONE of those Fremont Jacks...I got into the Northwoods game a little late. Oh well. Nice picture. Hopefully at least one of them gets some use.
Thanks they are nice ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
TNT

Post by TNT »

Dave Shirley was a friend of mine. He was a close friend and we talked often. I helped build some of the original prototypes of the first or number one model two blade folder. Others were involved in those early days of the Scagel line but what I have to report today will probably upset some. It may thrill others, and it may cause others to pause and doubt my word but here we go. My new ID is rather deceiving. I am known more widely by STR on bladeforums.

Anyway, to get to the point. I've kept a secret for Dave that few know about. I have stage four cancer, probably five years, well between three and five left they tell me. Things weigh on you but you don't realize how much. Shortly before Dave died I was playing with some of the 'stragglers' or left over blades and such from the run of knives they had, some of which Dave had sent me to play with. I had been carrying a single blade of the number two for a while and it began to pit some and I gun blued it. I was so happy with the result I decided to gun blue the smaller one too and guess what? It wouldn't blue!

I called up Dave to ask him what the devil was going on and he said, "OH BOY! I knew one day someone would figure it out! Guess it's just as good it was you as anyone. Dave went into some detail which I'm not going to share because the bottom line is Dave didn't get along with everyone he worked with and because he didn't really read he pretended to understand some things when they were presented to him to review even though he couldn't read it well enough to follow it, sort of like some that are hard of hearing pretend to hear. Some, vindictive types would do things also, this going on in a big factory setting inside to 'get back at ole Dave' for putting their nose out of joint when an error would show up and it was because Dave approved it but it was wrong and he just couldn't read it to know that!

This is truth and I only share it now for one or more various reasons. Well they pulled a real number on Dave on that first run of Scagel two blade folders ladies and gents. It may not be that they were trying so much to get back at ole Dave as it is that he just approved another order that he didn't know was wrong but they did that order of 150 knives in the wrong steel. The lot of them, each one was 'accidentally, on purpose' (Dave's words) done in ATS34 stainless steel, back springs, blades and all! Plausible deniability in place they said it was discovered when a sheet of ATS disappeared and they had an extra of 1095. All the original 2 blade Scagel repros were done in stainless by someone at Queen reportedly to get back at ole Dave. Read it and weep. I know it sucks for some! I swear on my last years it's all true though. The proto types however with no Northwoods stamping on the blade(s) were indeed 1095. Those were done right. Few have known about this fact. You're welcome to test it yourself.I assure you they won't blue, and they ain't gonna rust bad neither although I know some guys that could make ATS corrode it rarely does in my experience. The heat treat according to ole Dave was done all correctly.

They tested out fine and Dave assured me the steel was plainly stamped so everyone knew what they were working with and did the product correctly they just didn't know the order was wrong on paper. What they did in steel was correct. That is all I know about Northwoods. I can assure you the rest of the Scagel line was fine line tested and watched after this err as Dave was on top of the rest of them while he lived.
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

After reading your article I'm not sure that that is a bad thing ::shrug:: just good info to know . There is a lot of collectors that like the ATS-34 . Thanks for the info ::tu::
P.S. as Scott said sorry to hear of your cancer with God all things are possible, prayers sent
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Sooooooooooo sorry you have cancer TNT. So sad.
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Picked up another Northwoods from Rayan Daniels that I haven't seen any before . If someone has one like it post it please
Gary ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Attachments
IMG_5697.JPG
IMG_5698.JPG
IMG_5703.JPG
hardman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by hardman »

Here are some of mine. I have been meaning to post them for some time. I have had these for a long time. They were purchased before Nothwoods prices went through the roof. Some are the Northwoods Scagels, others just (relatively) old Northwoods. I believe the top three in the first picture are Northwoods Scagels, as is the top one in the third picture. Notice how that one appears to be either a left handed knife, or a "reverse" Jack.
Attachments
DSC00325.JPG
DSC00327.JPG
DSC00329.JPG
Gary

"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." Bryan Adams
FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by FarSide »

hardman wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:37 am Here are some of mine. I have been meaning to post them for some time. I have had these for a long time. They were purchased before Nothwoods prices went through the roof. Some are the Northwoods Scagels, others just (relatively) old Northwoods. I believe the top three in the first picture are Northwoods Scagels, as is the top one in the third picture. Notice how that one appears to be either a left handed knife, or a "reverse" Jack.
Wonderful group you have there. Is that a split-back whittler in the bottom photo?
-Tim
hardman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by hardman »

FarSide wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:16 pmWonderful group you have there. Is that a split-back whittler in the bottom photo?
Yes, it is. If, that is, you consider a Split Back Whittler to be one in which the master blade is served by two separate back springs, while the secondary blades are served by only one each. With the two backsprings separated by a tapered partial liner. Some folks don't consider that a true Split Back. And, thank you.
Gary

"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." Bryan Adams

Return to “Northwoods Knife Collector's Forum”