Help! I discovered I have no books on Marbles!

Webster Marble formed Gladstone Mfg. Co. in 1892. That company created the first folding Axe in 1893 which lead to the incorporation of Marble's Safety Axe Co. in 1898. The company became Marble Arms & Mfg. Co. in 1911 & enjoyed years of success until succumbing to a shut down of production in 1974. The brand was brought back to life in 1994 & enjoyed a grand rejuvenation that later gave way to another shutdown in 2009. Many great knives & tools were crafted over the company's storied history.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Help! I discovered I have no books on Marbles!

Post by orvet »

Recently I bought a couple very nice old Marbles. One was a Woodcraft and without a book I cannot find any info about this knife.
20210410_104025~2.jpg
It has the Bakelite pommel.
20210410_104131~2.jpg

Tang Stamp:
20210410_090816~2.jpg
20210410_090816~2.jpg (17.91 KiB) Viewed 3814 times
Can anyone share some info on this knife with me?
I wood like to know the age? Pattern name and any other info you might have on this knife. Also the approximate value.

Thanks in advance,
Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
tongueriver

Re: Help! I discovered I have no books on Marbles!

Post by tongueriver »

I have two excellent books on Marbles which I will convey to you, Dale, for a small fee. More later.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Thanks Cal. ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

You show a Marbles "EXPERT". The bakelite pommel indicates WW2 and a couple years after production. One of the books states that a left facing crossbar on the A in Marbles indicates an early knife but the book is mistaken since there are plenty of these WW2 era knives with the left facing A crossbar. The book also calls it a "serif" which it is not. Looks like a nice condition example!! For some reason I don't understand the Expert models are lower in desirability than Ideals or Woodcraft models. At least I have a harder time selling them at knife shows.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Not useful, but just for fun:
Marbles001 (Large).jpg
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

orvet wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:55 pm Recently I bought a couple very nice old Marbles. One was a Woodcraft and without a book I cannot find any info about this knife.

20210410_104025~2.jpg

It has the Bakelite pommel.

20210410_104131~2.jpg

Tang Stamp:

20210410_090816~2.jpg

Can anyone share some info on this knife with me?
I wood like to know the age? Pattern name and any other info you might have on this knife. Also the approximate value.

Thanks in advance,
Dale

That's an Expert, Dale, great looking one too! ::tu:: ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

tongueriver wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:52 pm Not useful, but just for fun:
Marbles001 (Large).jpg

Those are gorgeous, tongue! ::tu:: ::tu::
The bottom 2 line stamped Ideal is on the rare side. 😎
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Since Cal posted a couple, here are the King and Queen of Marbles Ideals. Super rare factory made with elephant ivory handles and pommels. 7" and 8" blades although sadly were cleaned by a previous owner. Much more sadly, in a fit of minor poverty I sold my even rarer ivory/ivory Woodcraft. I don't think I ever had more seller's remorse than when I sold that ivory woodcraft. The customer was only five feet from my table when I looked down at a fist full of money in my hand and the guy walking away with a big grin and my ivory Woodcraft and realized how stupid I was. Oh well, I just can't keep them all forever. A guy has been trying to buy my ivory Ideals for a few years, sooner or later I will have to part with them.
5942ED5F-9A16-4B51-B92A-50B1BD7F69FB_1_201_a.jpeg
6C1CF6A9-73A7-4688-861E-E3F6DB295F21.jpeg
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Wow! Those are really something! I once had a pair of Marbles in buffalo horn and a letter of authenticity- they were made by the Marbles shop foreman. I don't remember his name and all my documentation is gone now. And he has passed away.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Gunsil wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:15 pm Since Cal posted a couple, here are the King and Queen of Marbles Ideals. Super rare factory made with elephant ivory handles and pommels. 7" and 8" blades although sadly were cleaned by a previous owner. Much more sadly, in a fit of minor poverty I sold my even rarer ivory/ivory Woodcraft. I don't think I ever had more seller's remorse than when I sold that ivory woodcraft. The customer was only five feet from my table when I looked down at a fist full of money in my hand and the guy walking away with a big grin and my ivory Woodcraft and realized how stupid I was. Oh well, I just can't keep them all forever. A guy has been trying to buy my ivory Ideals for a few years, sooner or later I will have to part with them.

5942ED5F-9A16-4B51-B92A-50B1BD7F69FB_1_201_a.jpeg6C1CF6A9-73A7-4688-861E-E3F6DB295F21.jpeg
Wow, Gene, those are amazing and wonderful and beautiful and...... ::nod:: ::nod:: ::nod::
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

tongueriver wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:23 pm Wow! Those are really something! I once had a pair of Marbles in buffalo horn and a letter of authenticity- they were made by the Marbles shop foreman. I don't remember his name and all my documentation is gone now. And he has passed away.
Cal, I think the buffalo horn models were made during the rebirth of Marbles, sometime in the 1990s. These Ivory ones are 1920s I think, one has the small "gunsight" mark and the other the large two line mark. I have seen the buffalo handles ones with aluminum pommels, very handsome knives. Thanks to all for the compliments, these two are the priciest knives I have ever paid for. I have seen a few other Ideals in ivory/ivory, they are known, but very rare, the Woodcraft I had in ivory/ivory was an unknown knife, the book only lists ivory/aluminum as an option on the Woodcraft model. I sure love ivory but the present laws mean I can't sell them in some states or interstate. I still don't understand how we are saving the modern elephants by having a ban on older ivory.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

The buffalo horn handled knives I had were made from old blades from the 1920s or 30s, even including the old spacers and old pommel. They were Ideals in two different lengths. I would hesitate to call them lunch box knives but they had nothing to do with the regular run of knives for sale.

When ivory was legal, it was managed in Africa rather well, to the benefit of the governments, the tribes, the elephants, the environment, the sportsmen, the merchants, taxidermists, collectors, craftsmen, ad infinitum. Now it is solely for the benefit of poachers, black market, and corrupt African governments and the elephants are on their way to extinction because the poachers are hitting them far harder. It is beyond stupid.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Gunsil, those are 2 Amazing beautiful old Marbles knives. They are the best looking fixed blades i have ever seen.
They have ivory handle and pommel. The one you sold you say was "ivory/ivory". How was it different from the 2 you show here ?
kj
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Hi Roland, the one I sadly parted with was a Woodcraft model with a 4&1/2 inch blade like the stag/stag one on the top in Cal's photo of two stag/stag Marbles knives. The ivory/ivory Woodcraft appeared on ebay years ago and it was in worn, patinated finish, a beautiful thing. I got outbid on it but years later met the guy who outbid me for it and he finally sold it to me. The only problem was he went and cleaned and buffed the blade and ivory, I had thought it looked better with a natural aged look. Only one I or a bunch of Marbles guys had ever seen. By the way Roland, it is a fixed blade collector thing to describe handles and pommels as stag/stag (stag handle, stag pommel), or say, stag/aluminum, (stag handle, aluminum pommel), hence my use of ivory/ivory.

Something funny going on, I wasn't able to log into AAPK with Firefox, had to use Safari today. What's up with that??
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Maybe you had to use Safari because you referenced elephants? lol
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Roland, I know you love ivory like I do, and thank you for the fine compliment on my ivory Marbles knives. Here is another I was sad to see go, it is a late 1600s-early 1700s Arabic knife with wootz damascus steel and a walrus ivory handle. Sadly I didn't photo the scabbard before I parted with it, the scabbard was wood with a thin leather cover which was mostly gone and a long silver (probably coin silver about 825 fine) throat and tip, only about two inches of wood/leather showing between the two silver ends. It went to a collector of these knives who said it was odd because it had a small about 5") blade and he thought it must have been made for a child of royalty since usually this type of dagger is much longer.

Dale, didn't mean to hijack your thread.
7242AD9C-B765-434B-9765-34F88099AA39_1_105_c.jpeg
D0ECBEA1-6829-4057-84B9-DB01561E7EDD_1_105_c.jpeg
8F642700-B358-4071-A04B-F9D9CE0956ED_1_105_c.jpeg
FFB6759A-36D5-4528-9B8E-CF5A3D84B1FE_1_105_c.jpeg

For those of you who wonder about different ivories, this shows well the main attribute to walrus ivory as compared to elephant or mastodon ivory. Walrus ivory has a sort of pithy core or center, some collectors call it "Tapioca" and it is easily seen here on the end of the pommel and the center of the handle where it is narrowed down. It is not really soft like the pithy core of American stag, but it is the telltale sign of walrus tusks. This will never be seen on elephant/mastodon ivory which has the same pattern all the way through the tusk.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

tongueriver wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:10 pm Maybe you had to use Safari because you referenced elephants? lol
Good thinking Cal!! Had the same thing happen yesterday, did a re-start on my laptop and I was able to log in with Firefox, today I tried that and still couldn't log in with Firefox. At least I have both options.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Thanks guys for all your help. I did find a book on eBay which I have ordered.
You guys once again are a fountain of information! It's good to know a fountain or two. ::nod::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Return to “Marble's Knife Collector's Forum”