Lunch box marbles

Webster Marble formed Gladstone Mfg. Co. in 1892. That company created the first folding Axe in 1893 which lead to the incorporation of Marble's Safety Axe Co. in 1898. The company became Marble Arms & Mfg. Co. in 1911 & enjoyed years of success until succumbing to a shut down of production in 1974. The brand was brought back to life in 1994 & enjoyed a grand rejuvenation that later gave way to another shutdown in 2009. Many great knives & tools were crafted over the company's storied history.
P M River

Lunch box marbles

Post by P M River »

These two came from a UP auction, Roland sheath is the best of the lot
Attachments
422DFEB4-A14A-41E5-B4F9-11D35CC440E0.jpeg
3DF771B5-B139-4741-A650-1A2282C37766.jpeg
Gunsil

Re: Lunch box marbles

Post by Gunsil »

What makes you think that is a Rowland (not Roland) sheath? All I have seen were drop-in sheaths with the cattail pattern. Mighty odd group you have there. I don't believe in the so-called "lunchbox knife" theory. Back when those knives were made pretty much everybody in the factory was local and often related. Making knives with company parts is in effect stealing and few would risk doing so and risk unemployment. Caught for stealing in those days you wouldn't likely get a job someplace else. The woodcraft was made more than 15 years after that handle, more likely somebody had an early Ideal with a broken blade and put the handle on the woodcraft. Have no idea what the other thing is, but likely a put together after knife with handle left factory. I could be mistaken but they are petty weird and "lunchbox" does not explain that away.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I agree, I wouldn’t say they’re “lunchbox” knives. Calling something “lunchbox” is just a lame attempt to give some legitimacy to a piece of junk, value-wise. It’s more likely someone modified them (like we see folks here on AAPK doing) at some time after they left the factory. There’s not a thing wrong with that and it’s done for many reasons. The problem comes when someone tries to pass the item off as something it is not, a legitimate factory-made item. When the item is modified to, or beyond, the point where that story stretches credibility, the next attempt is to assign it “lunchbox” status. ::facepalm:: JMO

It may be a serviceable item. “Lunchbox”? Highly improbable.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

::hmm:: I have never seen a blade like that, no ricasso stamp either. ::shrug:: Looks like it's off of a broken chef knife.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
RLP

Post by RLP »

Those handles started to show up again in the 80s, Some of the ideals were reproduced with them. A lot of people got shafted thinking they were buying an original 1905 model.
P M River

Post by P M River »

Guys, you are right, lunch box was probably the wrong term to describe those knives. As you probably know the rubber handle proved to be not real serviceable and could have been an inventory left over. And yes, years ago at the Oregon show I did see a set of rubber handle form for sale. Both of these knives came from an auction in Michigan’s upper peninsula, so maybe from someone that had some connection to the original factory. The big blade Looks to be part of a trail maker blade that someone altered. On page 99 of encyclopedia of marbles Arnie showed that sheath and describes it as a Rowland sheath, maybe Arnie is wrong ? I have 2 rubber MSA ideals and the handle on the pictured knives are an exact match. I do apologize for getting off on the wrong foot with these pictures. These knives are not for sale , just pictures that I hoped somebody would be interested in seeing.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I appreciate you starting this thread and posting these pictures. ::nod:: ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

RLP wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:58 pm Those handles started to show up again in the 80s, Some of the ideals were reproduced with them. A lot of people got shafted thinking they were buying an original 1905 model.
Those folk's should have known they were fake's in the 1980's,
as Marble's was out of the knife business from 1974-1997

Return to “Marble's Knife Collector's Forum”