Is this Ideal pre-WWII?

Webster Marble formed Gladstone Mfg. Co. in 1892. That company created the first folding Axe in 1893 which lead to the incorporation of Marble's Safety Axe Co. in 1898. The company became Marble Arms & Mfg. Co. in 1911 & enjoyed years of success until succumbing to a shut down of production in 1974. The brand was brought back to life in 1994 & enjoyed a grand rejuvenation that later gave way to another shutdown in 2009. Many great knives & tools were crafted over the company's storied history.
Pile Driver

Is this Ideal pre-WWII?

Post by Pile Driver »

I got it locally on Craigslist for a nice price. It's in great shape. This is the only picture I have currently can provide pictures of specific details if it helps determine age.
0714200811d~2.jpg
Gunsil

Re: Is this Ideal pre-WWII?

Post by Gunsil »

Looks like it is Dan. Not that there is any difference I know of between one made in say 1939 and one made in 1947. Marbles did not change their marks after or during the war like Case and KA-BAR did on some knives. Marbles never made any knives for the military during the war. There were some 5" Ideals in bail out kits but these were purchased by the companies with the contracts for the bail out kits. Marbles did have to go to bakelite pommels during the war as aluminum became a "strategic" metal and not allowed for civilian use, but I believe they went back to using aluminum after the war. Did you get the hatchet too? Both look like nice condition.

Return to “Marble's Knife Collector's Forum”