How high will it go?

Webster Marble formed Gladstone Mfg. Co. in 1892. That company created the first folding Axe in 1893 which lead to the incorporation of Marble's Safety Axe Co. in 1898. The company became Marble Arms & Mfg. Co. in 1911 & enjoyed years of success until succumbing to a shut down of production in 1974. The brand was brought back to life in 1994 & enjoyed a grand rejuvenation that later gave way to another shutdown in 2009. Many great knives & tools were crafted over the company's storied history.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

How high will it go?

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

I check for Marbles knives every day. Saw a seller on EBay has this one for sale. As soon as it went it up it had bids, it’s already to 173 w/ 5 days to go. It’s s 1998 Trailmaker w/ Birdseye Maple, a Loveless approved knife.
Here is the link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-MARBLES-M ... SwS8BelcOs
I wonder how high this will go? It should be interesting to watch this one.
Not my knife or my auction.
Attachments
IMG_0301.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
KleenCut61

Re: How high will it go?

Post by KleenCut61 »

That Trail makers a nice knife , But I Don't See it Reaching Price Of Vintage originals $750 and up Perhaps $225-$275 For Being Elegant :mrgreen: K.C. ::tu::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Was this knife made in the Marbles shop in Gladstone Mich. ? Are the Marbles fixed blades made from about 1990 until closure (~ 2005 ?) of consistently high quality ?
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

kootenay joe wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:41 am Was this knife made in the Marbles shop in Gladstone Mich. ? Are the Marbles fixed blades made from about 1990 until closure (~ 2005 ?) of consistently high quality ?
kj
All the ones I have seen from that period of time were consistent and well made.
I don’t think it will go as high as one of the older models in mint condition either K.C. Your estimate is what I was thinking. But since this one is NOS and in such pristine condition, I was wondering if it would break 300 or not. I haven’t seen one of these with Birdseye Maple come up for a long time.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

That is a nice one, I have only seen the "Loveless Approved" stamp on the Sport 99. This one should have been made when Mike Stewart was running Marbles for the Lauermans. It should be 52100 steel too. Worth a high of $350 IMO.
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

Spot on Montana !!! Made in Gladstone, 52/100 steel...
they made several handle materials on both the Trail Maker
and the Sport..I had a stag one but was offered so much money
for it from a fellow knifer I knew for 25 yrs, after 3-4 years of begging,
I finally caved in and sold it to him...
here is a couple of mine...
Stag
Attachments
love-use-front.jpg
LOVE-GAME-FRONT.jpg
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Those are sweet knives, as nice as Randall's in my opinion. ::tu:: ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

stagman wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:01 pm Spot on Montana !!! Made in Gladstone, 52/100 steel...
they made several handle materials on both the Trail Maker
and the Sport..I had a stag one but was offered so much money
for it from a fellow knifer I knew for 25 yrs, after 3-4 years of begging,
I finally caved in and sold it to him...
here is a couple of mine...
Stag
I thought I liked that Birdseye maple the best, but that bottom one is the nicest I’ve seen. What is that wood? Looks like a burl of some sort.
This design is just sleek and elegant.
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

Thanks Red, I know you are the king of older Marble's, but I by chance met Craig & Jim
Lauerman bout 1997 or 98 and talking with them was just so taken back at their commitment
to bringing Marble's back to their standing in the Cutlery world, then enter Mike, Dave & others ,well,, I sold off
some of my older stuff and just dove head first into the 1997-2001 line of Marble's knives...

That's Cocobolo Dymond Wood handle..its the Game Getter line of knives,, handle pattern
wise, they made all their blade patterns, Ideal, Woodcraft, Sport, etc. in that same
Game Getter handle....they have or had a patent on the wood, impervious to
heat and cold hunting conditions, extremely tuff, and it feels no matter what
pattern you have in your hand, very comfy and I feel user friendly.

And living in Michigan my whole life till we bought a house out here in the desert on the edge of the mountains
I had unreal access to Marble's knives...and when Craig sold out in 2002 and China knives started to appear, man I tell
I bet I bought close to 750 knives ( for pennies on the dollar ) going to auctions around the state.. sold most and kept my favorites

Stag
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Are the China Marbles fixed blades marked "China" with a stamp or just a light etch that is easily rubbed off ?
kj
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

Howdy KJ, only china one I ever had in hand was that Knife/Axe combo they made years ago,
and you could rub off that light etch with a polishing cloth and flitz
I had it in my emergency tote in the truck for years till the boy conned me out of it

Stag
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

This knife sold for 262.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

stagman wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:39 pm Thanks Red, I know you are the king of older Marble's, but I by chance met Craig & Jim
Lauerman bout 1997 or 98 and talking with them was just so taken back at their commitment
to bringing Marble's back to their standing in the Cutlery world, then enter Mike, Dave & others ,well,, I sold off
some of my older stuff and just dove head first into the 1997-2001 line of Marble's knives...

Stag
I appreciate your kind words, stag. ::handshake::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Return to “Marble's Knife Collector's Forum”