Marbles Cheetah

Webster Marble formed Gladstone Mfg. Co. in 1892. That company created the first folding Axe in 1893 which lead to the incorporation of Marble's Safety Axe Co. in 1898. The company became Marble Arms & Mfg. Co. in 1911 & enjoyed years of success until succumbing to a shut down of production in 1974. The brand was brought back to life in 1994 & enjoyed a grand rejuvenation that later gave way to another shutdown in 2009. Many great knives & tools were crafted over the company's storied history.
Winnipeg Gentleman

Marbles Cheetah

Post by Winnipeg Gentleman »

Greetings all.

I only have one knife from Marbles, which is a brown, rough-bone cheetah. I hope you enjoy seeing it:

Winnipeg Gentleman
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Marbles Cheetah

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Nice looking knife. I'd describe it as a swing-guard Marbles. "Cheetah" would be a Case - may even be their trademark.

I know very little about Marbles knives. Is that an old one, or one of the more recent releases?

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

Its one of the newer knives that was made in china, pakistan,
somewhere over there imported from overseas...
after Marble's closed their doors making U.S.A. made
knives in september of 2009 and SMKW bought the trademark

Stag
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/stagman
Winnipeg Gentleman

Post by Winnipeg Gentleman »

Mumbleypeg:

I personally have no idea if the Marbles knife I posted is older or newer. I saw that Stagman says it's a newer one and it was made overseas, so I'll just take his word for all that since it's the only Marbles knife I have and I know absolutely nothing about the brand.

At the time I bought it, I didn't have any swing-guards at all, and compared to the other swing-guards I was seeing online, the Marbles one was relatively cheap. I do like the feel of the handle: the contours of the dark brown bone are very bumpy, what with all the grooves and hills-and-valleys snaking through it, but the bone itself is very smooth and polished all over, it's not rough at all.

The only thing I don't like about the Marbles swing-guard I have is the actual guard part is very loose and flimsy. The little pieces of metal between the blade and the tang that expand and contract when opening and closing the knife are not on solidly at all. On a Case cheetah, those little guards are on firmly and solidly, they cannot be moved when extended and locked into position, but the Marbles ones can easily be moved up and down with the finger, like little levers. And since it's the only Marbles knife I have, I don't know if the loose guards are indicative of all Marbles swing-guards, or if it's just mine that are loose.

About it being called a swing-guard or a 'Cheetah,' yes, you're probably right - 'cheetah' is most likely a name specific to the Case brand of swing-guards. Everytime I see one, though, I immediately think of and refer to it as a 'cheetah,' regardless of its brand...I suppose like how the term 'jacuzzi' is used to refer to all hot tubs, even though the term 'jacuzzi' is really a brand-specific name, or like how all copiers are referred to as 'Xerox' machines, even though 'Xerox' is another specific brand.

Oh well, regardless of what they're called, I do really like cheetahs a lot. Since I mostly collect stilettos, I like how cheetahs really resemble stilettos without being exactly like them. I only have 3 right now, the Marbles one and two Case ones, but I'm most likely going to get a few more over time.

Winnipeg Gentleman
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Winnipeg Gentleman wrote:

At the time I bought it, I didn't have any swing-guards at all

Oh well, regardless of what they're called, I do really like cheetahs a lot. Since I mostly collect stilettos, I like how cheetahs really resemble stilettos without being exactly like them. I only have 3 right now, the Marbles one and two Case ones, but I'm most likely going to get a few more over time.

Winnipeg Gentleman
And that's how a lot of knife collections get started! :lol: ::tu:: ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I have a Rough Rider TL-29 with a Marble's etch instead of the "COAL MINER" etch it's supposed to have. I guess Marble's and RR are in fact made in the same Chinese factory (perhaps SMKW owned?).
Onearmbladejunkie

Post by Onearmbladejunkie »

That is a swing-guard knife for sure.

Return to “Marble's Knife Collector's Forum”