William H. Maher and Emil Grosh started the Maher & Grosh Wholesale Cutlery Co. in 1877 with a goal to sell high quality US manufactured cutlery globally. The original business dissolved in 1988, but the brand has since been resurrected.
sunknife

Re: 2019

Post by sunknife »

kootenay joe wrote:What a solid looking knife and with 3 blades close to full size it will last a full lifetime of daily use. It seems unfair to not use these knives.
kj
I carried mine for the remainder of the day in the pocket sheath but then put it away. Some I decide to use right away and others
I just take out and appreciate for awhile and then they eventually become users. I think your'e right though kj, it just looks like one that needs to be carried and used. :)
Tsar Bomba wrote: Fighting an internal war ever since my Appy version arrived over buying another Appy model for this very reason... ::paranoid::

It is a beautiful knife and eminently usable. Feels just right in hand. I have an Osage orange version of the Tidioute (punch instead of spey blade) coming and that should help me decide which to put in the carry rotation.
Like you I also have the osage version with punch coming TB. I've already made up my mind to make an user out of it, love that punch blade. :)
Greg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I just opened up the package with my M&G "Texas $2 Ranger" knife and i am so pleased i need to post right away and will get pictures up as soon as i can. The Appalousa bone on this knife is the most attractive i have seen and it suits this pattern perfectly. The fit, finish, blade action and grinds and edges all are so well done there is nowhere even a slight hint of an 'issue'. All is happiness and joy for the knife lover. This is a very fine knife. My sincere Thanks to the M&G gents for bringing about this knife. I could not be more pleased.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

double post
kj
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

Just received my 3 knives in the mail today....These are mighty fine knives. Once again Roger and Ken hit it outta the park.

Thank you gentlemen!

Tom
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

I am so impressed with the two that I bought. I would put these up there with the Waynorth knives. If that is what you we’re trying to achieve, well done.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Thanks guys.Mark,we go for all the bells and whistles on our offerings.
Roger
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is my M&G "Texas $2 Ranger" knife. These pictures do not show the Appaloosa bone well. It is more attractive in person but looks a bit 'washed out' here. It is very attractive, more so than i had anticipated. A very fine knife in all regards right up to the sharp blade edges.
If any of these are left i suggest you seriously consider getting one. This run came as close to perfection as possible.
kj
Attachments
lucky june 7 2019 008.jpg
lucky june 7 2019 005.jpg
lucky june 7 2019 006.jpg
lucky june 7 2019 007.jpg
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Thanks for the endorsement Roland! :D
Roger
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

You are welcome Roger. I always try to report accurately to help other collectors who might be thinking of buying the same knife.
If anyone is giving a pass on this M&G Texas Ranger whittler, they will be missing out on an exceptionally fine knife. It is my honest opinion and i can't see that anyone could disagree.
kj
Edit to add pictures just taken that are a little better than my first attempt.
kj
Attachments
lucky june 7 2019 005.jpg
lucky june 7 2019 006.jpg
lucky june 7 2019 007.jpg
lucky june 7 2019 004.jpg
Onearmbladejunkie

Post by Onearmbladejunkie »

peanut740 wrote:We have been bouncing a couple different patterns around with Bill at GEC.They made so many small boys knives,it hasn't given them a lot of space for outside orders catching up for their dealers.We should know something in the not too distance future. ::tu::
I want to see Maher & Grosh order/offer some #86 $2 steel single blade knives in (smooth Honey bone , sawcut oily creek bone , & blueberry wavy peach-seed jigged bone ) Only BladeForums is offering a single blade #86. They sold out two months ago , before production. If you want to sell out faster , single blades are a must. I own 4 GEC knives with wavy peach-seed jigging. I'll buy any GEC knife with that wavy peach-seed jigging. I have one arm and I love that wavy feel in my hand.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

What is a #86 pattern ? I cannot find it on the GEC website.
kj
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

kootenay joe wrote:What is a #86 pattern ? I cannot find it on the GEC website.
kj

Roland, it's an upcoming new pattern from GEC, it may be a jumbo jack, should be going into production soon, sure would make a stunning Maher&Grosh 2 blade jumble in ebony.
Attachments
861219.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thank you John. Usually a "Jumbo jack" would be about 4 1/2" or larger. I would call this one a "Regular jack".
kj
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

kootenay joe wrote:Thank you John. Usually a "Jumbo jack" would be about 4 1/2" or larger. I would call this one a "Regular jack".
kj
Roland, Levine has Jumbo's defined as 3 7/8" to 4 1/4" with corresponding width or girth if I remember right. This 3 3/4" Challenge and 3 7/8 Winchester are a good example of the difference, you can see how much heavier built the Winchester is. I heard a rumor that the new GEC 86 will be similar.
Attachments
IMG_9448.jpg
IMG_9446.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks John. Levine's book is amazing really. I have read and re-read it a great many times and yet there still is basic info that i have missed.
I had never read the details on page 179 where he calls a stout Sleeveboard Jack over 3 5/8" a "Jumbo Jack". All the other knives considered to be 'Jumbo' are much bigger.
But Levine says the Jumbo Jack is a Sleeveboard not a Regular Jack and the difference between these two is in the bolsters. A Sleeveboard ( and therefore Jumbo) has rounded bolsters whereas the Regular has 'corners' on the bolsters. Think of the old Queen Barlow for a good example of rounded bolsters.
The GEC #86 does not have rounded bolsters so it is a Regular Jack, not a Sleeveboard and therefore not a Jumbo.
I just learned a lot here by carefully re-reading page 179. Neat. Always more to learn.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Finally i have spent some time getting to know my M&G 3 blade "Texas Ranger" knife. It is basically the same knife as the GEC #29 "Stockyard Whittler" but with a long spey blade in place of the awl blade.
The potential problem with every folding knife with more than 1 blade is that the blade or blades not in use can project high enough above the liners to make a firm grip most uncomfortable. An awl blade is narrow spine to edge so always 'lies low' when closed. What is an accomplishment here is that the M&G spey blade lies just as low as the awl does in the Stockyard whittler. The other secondary is the same in both, a narrow sheepsfoot which also lies low. With the clip blade open it is totally comfortable in hand. With one of the secondaries open it is still comfortable. Many 3 blade knives fall far short of this in use comfort.
I have been using my Stockyard Whittler because i like having an awl blade. But many people say they have no use for an awl, so this M&G with a spey blade is perfect for these folks.
The fit everywhere is very precise. The 3 springs meet tightly such that you can only just make out that there are 3 parallel springs.
I think the Appaloosa bone is very attractive. This is a very fine knife. It DESERVES to be carried with you and used. The blades are already shaving sharp and there are half stops for all 3 blades.
It is not fair to let this fine workmanship, the result of much skill and effort, sit idle. Be fair to your M&G Texas Ranger and use it.
kj
Attachments
IMGP8634.JPG
IMGP8635.JPG
IMGP8638.JPG
IMGP8636.JPG
IMGP8639.JPG

Return to “Maher and Grosh”