Product Categories

Have suggestions that might help improve the member store program? Please post them here! We have in-house development capabilities that can be utilized to turn most any idea into action. Our best ideas often come from you, the users of our services, so please speak up!
rcwar56

Product Categories

Post by rcwar56 »

With the large number of modern knives offered for sale here I think it would be advantageous to all sellers and buyers if folding knives at least could be separated into two options, i.e. Vintage Knives and Modern Knives. A buyer and seller would then have the opportunity to browse through the two categories without having to wade thru knives one might not be interested in. Just a suggestion and I’m sure it would be no easy task for the webmaster and/or the administrator developing the software. It’s a known fact that this site is one of, if not THE BEST, and easiest knife site to frequent. Again, just a suggestion. Thanks……
Bryan
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Product Categories

Post by Bryan »

Thank you for the suggestion. I agree that it would be a nice feature. I do not think it is something that we would be able to incorporate soon, but I will certainly put it on the list of things to consider for future upgrades. ::tu::
Bryan
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Then comes the issue of defining "vintage" :lol: :lol:
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Gumshoe

Post by Gumshoe »

Steve Warden wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:29 pm Then comes the issue of defining "vintage" :lol: :lol:
Yes, that was my first thought. It will require some debate, I'm sure.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Yes, there would be an endless argument over where to draw the dividing line. Better to leave it as is.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Froe

Post by Froe »

I understand the sentiment, but really I like discovering nice pieces in both groups.
Froe
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

"Antique" is squishy enough and it's even more defined than "vintage." I was told by a person who grew up in the antique business, it was an item at least 100 years old. "Vintage," for example, "wine," is all grapes from a particular year; 2006 vintage, 2016 vintage, etc. At least this is how I think about these two words. I guess you could group decades- 2000 vintage, 1970 vintage, etc.

But I don't think this is really the division you're looking for? ::shrug:: I consider 1970 a good cutoff, at least 50 years old. But then you also have the category of "rare." And to me that's based on availability and numbers made.

Clear as muddy water. ::skeptic::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

1967redrider wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:19 am "Antique" is squishy enough and it's even more defined than "vintage." I was told by a person who grew up in the antique business, it was an item at least 100 years old. "Vintage," for example, "wine," is all grapes from a particular year; 2006 vintage, 2016 vintage, etc. At least this is how I think about these two words. I guess you could group decades- 2000 vintage, 1970 vintage, etc.

But I don't think this is really the division you're looking for? ::shrug:: I consider 1970 a good cutoff, at least 50 years old. But then you also have the category of "rare." And to me that's based on availability and numbers made.

Clear as muddy water. ::skeptic::
I understand what you're saying about the word "vintage" actually meaning to be associated with a specific year, as with wine. But just as the word "gay" used to mean happy and carefree, and has taken on other meanings for today's society, I believe the word "vintage" has taken to be synonymous with "antique" for much of today's society.

And you're correct, "antique" is as clear as muddy water :wink:
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
rcwar56

Post by rcwar56 »

Vintage typically refers to 50+ years old. I believe automobile aficionados use 50 years as well. eBay uses pre-1969 forever but I’m not sure why they picked that year. Plus they never update it so I’m assuming it’s arbitrary. I’ve been vintage for a very long time.
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

rcwar56 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:51 am Vintage typically refers to 50+ years old. I believe automobile aficionados use 50 years as well. eBay uses pre-1969 forever but I’m not sure why they picked that year. Plus they never update it so I’m assuming it’s arbitrary. I’ve been vintage for a very long time.
We're all in the same boat! Its nice to be referred to as vintage as opposed to old buzzard! :D
Jeff
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com

Return to “Member Store Suggestion Box”