New main store catagory

Have suggestions that might help improve the member store program? Please post them here! We have in-house development capabilities that can be utilized to turn most any idea into action. Our best ideas often come from you, the users of our services, so please speak up!
knfcollector

New main store catagory

Post by knfcollector »

Would it be possible or prudent to add the catagory of Automatic knives, Switchblades or Automatica to the main store category. I know a lot of collectors that look exclusively for these and it would make for a enhanced buying experience for those collectors or any that may have a passing interest. As well there may be benefit of dividing this catagory between vintage and current production/modern. Thanks Bryan.
KNFCOLLECTOR
Bryan
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: New main store catagory

Post by Bryan »

I personally think it would be great to have all listings organized & categorized by style, age, brand, handle material, pattern, country of manufacture,& more.

Operating under our current system, seller can only choose one category for the main AAPK store. I think it would be a mistake to add Automatic Knives as a category under these conditions because it would force a choice ... If I was listing a Microtech, for example, I would be able to put it in either the 'Automatic' category or the 'Microtech' category. I fear this would lead to a lot of problems.

Multiple categories would be necessary to do it right, but I've been hesitant to implement such a system due to a concerned that it would add too much complexity to the listing process & that some sellers will not take the time to make a selection in all categories.

I've given this a fair bit of thought over the past year or so & I've done some experimental things on my development server to find a good solution.

I'm currently entertaining the idea of attempting to program an algorithm that identifies additional categories based on key words entered in the tile, description, & other inputs provided by the seller.

I guess the bottom line is that I'm not wanting to add Automatics as a category as defined today, but I am working on ideas & solutions to enable customers to browse specific high level categories like 'Automatic / Switchblades' that should improve the AAPK customer buying experience.

Please stay tuned for further developments on the front. ::tu::
Bryan
knfcollector

Post by knfcollector »

Thanks Bryan, you certainly know a whole lot more about this than me. I guess i dont understand the difference between simply having an "other" catagory, which i have to use most of the time as very few auto manufactures are listed in the main category, for companies not listed of non auto knives and having an automatic category that would serve the same function for automatic manafacturers that arent listed, which number in the hundreds.. It just seems that those that like automatics regardless of maker would benefit from an automatic category when trying to navigate the site as very few of these manufactures are listed. I guess i dont see it being any different than the civil war, other, New England knife co's, solingnen, case classics, sheffield and military categories which direct potential buyers to those specific niches of knife collecting and yet could also be listed in a brand specific catagory. It would be up to the seller to use whatever category they feel would best showcase their wares. I certainly understand however you choose to proceed. Thank you for all your efforts and for bringing the collecting community such a wonderful place to gather.
KNFCOLLECTOR
Bryan
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Bryan »

I went ahead & implemented a new categorization system. Items can now be categorized by type & brand when added or edited. Will try to make additional improvements to the way products are organized & presented over time. ::tu::
Bryan
knfcollector

Post by knfcollector »

Thanks Bryan. Its very much appreciated. Keep up the great work!
KNFCOLLECTOR
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Bryan the new category system is great. Thanks for you continued efforts. Muchly appreciated. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::tu:: ::tu::
robcelani
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by robcelani »

Hello Bryan, I am wondering if you could add the ability for sellers to use more than one category within our own stores when listing knives. So for example, I'd like to use the category of "traditional knives" but then also have the same knife also listed by manufacturer, say "great eastern". Right now I have only one option for category.

I think it's similar to how the main categories work now. I can have a knife listed in the great eastern category and the traditional category. I like how the main store categories allow for finding the same knife using different navigation. For a customer searching using the category features it allows for more opportunity to narrow their search as they browse in the categories.

Hopefully that is making sense. If not please let me know and I'll try and explain it better.

Return to “Member Store Suggestion Box”