Recommendation on how to sell junk/parts knives

If you have questions about the AAPK member store program, post them here. The store developers, administrators, moderators, & many other member users will be glad to answer any questions they can. If you are an experienced buyer or seller, please chime in where you can.
Kolvir
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Recommendation on how to sell junk/parts knives

Post by Kolvir »

In you experience what is the best way to sell parts or junk knives?

Do they do well on here or better on ebay? I have no idea of how to price them and am leaning towards ebay because I can sell them by auction format.

How do you group them, by brand or similar type, or maybe by the same problem, like broken main blade or handle, or something else?

I bought a large lot of knives, see my posts about wanting to collect them now, and there are many that have been, shall we say, well loved. I could use some insight on the best way to offer them.

Finally, is it appropriate to ask these kind of questions in the AAPK store forums? I don't see a whole lot of advice for fellow sellers.
just bob

Re: Recommendation on how to sell junk/parts knives

Post by just bob »

pm sent
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Kolvir wrote:In you experience what is the best way to sell parts or junk knives?

Do they do well on here or better on ebay? I have no idea of how to price them and am leaning towards ebay because I can sell them by auction format.

How do you group them, by brand or similar type, or maybe by the same problem, like broken main blade or handle, or something else?

I bought a large lot of knives, see my posts about wanting to collect them now, and there are many that have been, shall we say, well loved. I could use some insight on the best way to offer them.

Finally, is it appropriate to ask these kind of questions in the AAPK store forums? I don't see a whole lot of advice for fellow sellers.
I’ve had success selling on both Ebay and here on AAPK. I find they actually sell faster here than one Ebay. There are enough people who repair knives that are looking for parts knives that when you post them, they get scooped up pretty fast.
I usually group them by manufacturer. People who repair knives are looking for parts for certain makes of knives.
If you do list them on eBay here is a helpful hint, put the words “for parts” or the word “repair” in the title. When knife people are looking for parts they search for those terms. Ebay is kind of hard to figure out what works for getting the eyeballs on your items. PM me for more information if you need help.
Good luck,
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

I agree with SSK. I usually clear out the clutter once or twice a year on ebay and have had my best success listing in groups of 5 to 10 with a mixture in each group, but at least something "semi-desirable" in each group. Make sure you emphasize the "FOR PARTS OR REPAIR ONLY" several times in the auction or you may end up with a refund request from on of the ebay nit-pickers. Good luck.
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb

Return to “Member Store Q & A”