Looking for some guidance

If you have questions about the AAPK member store program, post them here. The store developers, administrators, moderators, & many other member users will be glad to answer any questions they can. If you are an experienced buyer or seller, please chime in where you can.
outkast

Re: Looking for some guidance

Post by outkast »

Now he saying he's gonna email Emerson. He knows this is a rare knife as he is an Emerson collector and said it's the first 98 Commander he's seen for sale. I just told him let me know something after he hears from them.
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

dcgm4 wrote:Look at the pictures closely, especially the last one. The screws look different. In the buyer's picture you can clearly see slots for a screwdriver. Outkast's picture doesn't seem to show any slots. If they are indeed different, either the buyer is confusing outkast's knife with another he bought or something else is going on.
I CAN see the slot in the screw on both images. In fact they appear to be facing in the exact same direction. Still it's a sketchy situation.
I don't know what emailing Emerson will accomplish other than an estimate on repairing the chips/replacing the handles. Sounds like he wants your knife, and wants you to pay to repair it?

I once thought that people in general were getting... strange, until someone pointed out that people are not changing, it's just that there are more strange people to be exposed to. I KNOW he was correct.
Attachments
Emerson 2.jpg
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

Just take a close look at the countersinking on the screw is there a difference ?
It could be my glasses.

Grant
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

To answer your question about damage in transit, if the knife remains inside the bubble wrap it cannot get damaged. This buyer is trying to scam you, get you to give a partial refund so that he ends up having paid a lower price.
Based on what is stated here, will USPS give a $50 payout ? If i was the insurance adjuster i would deny the claim because damage clearly did not occur in transit.
I think this is looking like blackmail, implied is: if you don't give me some money back, i will leave negative comments that will wreck your business.
Try searching his name online to see if he has had other disputes.
kj
outkast

Post by outkast »

Email from buyer today I say he's definitely trying to get some money back. Really feeling like I'm done with him leave me bad feedback, flame me on the forums if he wants. Those who know me know me.
Not gonna ruin my Thanksgiving stressing over this. :

Jason,
Well, here is Emerson knives company reply, to replace the handles $17.00 plus shipping. So the cost with shipping is about $49.20. $17.00 for the handles and about $16.10 shipping each way. I called and they have to have the knife, they will not mail just the handles to me. And, he said that they keep the handles when they are replaced, and also the blade if replaced.
Please advice.
Pat

On Tuesday, November 21, 2017 9:25 AM, "Emerson Knives, Inc" <info@emersonknives.com> wrote:

Dear Pat,

Thank you for the email. I check with my tech. this morning and we do have 1998 Commander G10 handles and just a few. The price is $35 but the fact that the handles are a little old but new, so the price will be $17 for the pair plus shipping. Please use the link below to our service form and all the details will be listed:

http://cdn.emersonknives.com/wp-content ... 2016-1.pdf
Contact us with any questions.
Kind Regards,
Ernesto
Emerson Knives Customer Service Team

Emerson Knives, Inc.
1234 254th St.
Harbor City, CA 90710
P 310.539.5633 | F 310.539.5609
americanedgetech

File the insurance claim, and be done with it.!

Happy Turkey-day ::handshake::
Ken Mc.

Bryan
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Bryan »

As store program administrator, I would like to add an opinion.

Please note that this is only my opinion & AAPK will try to help in any way it can regardless of the path you decide to take.

If not 100% sure that the buyer is the cause of the damage, I'd be inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt & act in a manner that reflects the possibility that he did in fact open the package to find a slightly damaged product.

If this was the case, his offer to rectify the situation by sending to Emerson for repair on your dime leaves you with additional options. I would see that as a positive. Now you can file a claim with the PO & 1. request he send back for refund, 2. tell him the sale is final, or 3. pay the repair.

I'd do option 1 or 3. Option 2 would likely lead to PayPal dispute that would most likely go against you. AAPK can & will waive commissions on the sale under option 3 if you end up going that route to ease the burden some.

On the flip side of the coin, if 100% sure he did the damage, all bets are off & I'd tell him he is responsible for the repair cost....
Bryan
just bob

Post by just bob »

Collecting insurance from the post office isn't a slam dunk. Google the subject and look at the hassles involved. Reading these comments and others I realize how dicey it is to buy/sell expensive knives through aapk, ebay, or any other venue where pictures and shipping are involved. Far better to take them to a show and let the buyer examine them in person. The seller can get hooked for a substantial amount.
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Too late for this because it's already turned into a cluster ****. But for future reference; K I S S

In large, bold, easy to read letters............
My return policy: Returns accepted for any reason up to 14 days after you receive the knife. Once I receive the knife, the purchase price plus shipping, including the actual cost of shipping the knife back to me, will be refunded.

OR

There is no OR. They keep the knife. Have a good life. No haggling over the price or shipping costs or actual or perceived damage after the purchase. No partial refunds. No dinkin' around. You bought it, you keep it or send it back for the full refund. End of story.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
americanedgetech

One of the sellers I deal with on a regular basis has the exact same policy.
Return it for a full refund or go pound sand! Just sayin'

You will see nightmare stories on postal insurance claims because people only post bad experiences. 99.999% of the time there is no problem.
I think I have made 3 claims in the past 30 years, and I never had a problem.
Life is full of curve balls, and you can't hit them all.
Ken Mc.

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Yeah, having a policy like that doesn't make you a bad seller, it makes you a smart seller.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

There is NO WAY that damage (which is so slight) occurred in transit. And as O.P. pointed out blade needs to be open for both handle edges to get damaged.
I would not file a USPS claim because they did not cause the damage.
I would ask buyer to return the knife and upon receiving it would refund that part of selling price that actually landed in my account so that i would not be out any money. You still take a loss doing this because you sent out a pristine knife and get back a slightly damaged knife.
If you have not googled his name, please do so.
Read "Good Bad & Ugly" in Bladeforums. It is full of examples of buyers trying to scam the seller. Most of the time internet sleuthing shows this is not the first time for these buyers. Some have multiple aliases but the same shipping address, so it takes careful sleuthing to discover.
I bet there are other knife sellers who have had a similar experience with this person.
I would never have had this opinion on my own. It has been years of online reading that shows a lot of scamming in knife deals that finally convinced me to be more of a skeptic.
kj
just bob

Post by just bob »

That's very true Roland. What many people don't stop to consider is that many knife buyers are also knife sellers. Maybe not so much on here but on ebay it isn't uncommon for a buyer to start beating you up as soon as he receives the knife saying something like you said the knife had great snap and in his opinion it is only good snap and wanting a partial refund. So he can turn right around and relist the same item with great snap and make more profit. I let the same person pull this stunt on me 3 times and only for a few dollars each time. I finally blocked him from bidding on my items and since then ask the seller to return the item if they are unhappy - no partial refunds. I haven't has any problems since that and only 1 return and it was my fault, but I don't sell high dollar knives either- it seems like that is where most of the issues are.
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
outkast

Post by outkast »

just bob wrote:Collecting insurance from the post office isn't a slam dunk. Google the subject and look at the hassles involved. Reading these comments and others I realize how dicey it is to buy/sell expensive knives through aapk, ebay, or any other venue where pictures and shipping are involved. Far better to take them to a show and let the buyer examine them in person. The seller can get hooked for a substantial amount.
Yeah a few have told me that collecting PO insurance is a hassle. Agree most this collection is going to Atlanta, I've just been trying to move a few piece to recoup some money.
outkast

Post by outkast »

I did go back and in bold on all remaining knives included: All Sales are Final As Is!! If you have any questions message me before purchasing

I will tell yall to be honest I didn't think anyone would buy that knife as price seemed way high to me but it is an early piece and much of the work was done by Emerson himself.

I do think he cleaned the handles which is fine. I left them untouched for the buyer to decided what to do. I think he dropped the knife blade open while cleaning and that's what caused the damage.

Buyer still hasn't come out saying he want's money or a refund. He has asked me to advise him.
outkast

Post by outkast »

The more I think about it when he first purchased the knife he asked me was in mint/near mint. So I looked the knife over good again before boxing it up. All I saw was some light blade rub near the tip which Informed him of so I told him I would consider it near mint due to that. Now in his last email he threw that out there also like he didn't know about it.
big monk

Post by big monk »

SIMPLE__________ tell him to send the knife back to you ( for a full refund*) and move on to the next buyer** ( never compromise a done deal ) -- too many people want a "MINT" new knife for worn out price -- you can't win with this deal now,done went to far along -- get the knife back / refund / forget** ::tu::
I'm not young enough,____to know everything !!!!!!!!!!!!

MONK****

Return to “Member Store Q & A”