International Shipping

This forum is for member store related discussion. You can ask questions, report bugs, make suggestions, view tips, tricks & instructions & more.
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

International Shipping

Post by Jeffinn »

For you folks that ship to other countries, what shipping service are you using? I’m hearing that the USPS is the least expensive and surprisingly very reliable. Can you generate shipping labels from your home PC or does it require a trip to the post office?
I’m looking at accepting orders from other countries so I’m just trying to get some input on the best way to handle international orders.
Thanks in advance.
Jeff
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
cudgee

Re: International Shipping

Post by cudgee »

Jeffinn wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:00 am For you folks that ship to other countries, what shipping service are you using? I’m hearing that the USPS is the least expensive and surprisingly very reliable. Can you generate shipping labels from your home PC or does it require a trip to the post office?
I’m looking at accepting orders from other countries so I’m just trying to get some input on the best way to handle international orders.
Thanks in advance.
Jeff
I have used USPS in the past to ship here, and i found their service exceptional. But since covid, can't say. I know they suspended parcel deliveries to a lot of other countries, including here. I don't know if they have been resumed. That is all i know mate. :)
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

cudgee wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:46 am
Jeffinn wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:00 am For you folks that ship to other countries, what shipping service are you using? I’m hearing that the USPS is the least expensive and surprisingly very reliable. Can you generate shipping labels from your home PC or does it require a trip to the post office?
Thanks in advance.
Jeff
I have used USPS in the past to ship here, and i found their service exceptional. But since covid, can't say. I know they suspended parcel deliveries to a lot of other countries, including here. I don't know if they have been resumed. That is all i know mate. :)
Thanks!
Jeff
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I have received multiple packages from Mark(SSk)and others, up to Canada via USPS quite successfully Jeff, and for only 3 of those packages was I charged duty & taxes by Customs. I was forced to use UPS and DHL on a couple of occasions, and on EVERY one my package wasn't delivered to my door even though the tracking says it was, and I had to go and pick them up at their stores, and, I was charged import fees, brokerage fees, duty & taxes. For 1 package valued at US$95. I was charged US$45. in fees! I'd strongly suggest USPS over any of the couriers, and if it wasn't for delays at Customs I'd have got my parcels in very reasonable times. Hope that helps! 8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Jeff, I use USPS Priority whenever possible. It costs more than first class international but it’s a heck of a lot more reliable. Yes you can print the shipping labels from your PC, we do most of the time. There seems to be an issue when it comes to entering zip codes. Several times we have had a problem with the label not showing 6 numbers for the international zip and it only shows 5. We have canceled labels and gone to the post office to have them do it. Some of the people at the post office don’t know how to do it and you can’t get it shipped that day. We recently tried going ahead and printing the label when it only showed 5 numbers and when it printed, it was actually the 6 digit code that we were trying to get entered. Why USPS website does this is a mystery? Eventually you will figure out the issues and be able to do it with no problem. Get extra customs forms from the USPS so that you can fill those out in advance and not have to wait at the window for someone that may or may not know how to do it.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

Thanks in advance.
Jeff
Thanks. I just looked on the USPS website and they're still not delivering mail to Australia. Most of the other countries that I would send to aren't currently on the list.
Jeff
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:42 pm Jeff, I use USPS Priority whenever possible. It costs more than first class international but it’s a heck of a lot more reliable. Yes you can print the shipping labels from your PC, we do most of the time. There seems to be an issue when it comes to entering zip codes. Several times we have had a problem with the label not showing 6 numbers for the international zip and it only shows 5. We have canceled labels and gone to the post office to have them do it. Some of the people at the post office don’t know how to do it and you can’t get it shipped that day. We recently tried going ahead and printing the label when it only showed 5 numbers and when it printed, it was actually the 6 digit code that we were trying to get entered. Why USPS website does this is a mystery? Eventually you will figure out the issues and be able to do it with no problem. Get extra customs forms from the USPS so that you can fill those out in advance and not have to wait at the window for someone that may or may not know how to do it.
Thanks Mark! Ill pick up some customs forms the next time I'm at the post office.
Jeff
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

Madmarco wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:19 pm I have received multiple packages from Mark(SSk)and others, up to Canada via USPS quite successfully Jeff, and for only 3 of those packages was I charged duty & taxes by Customs. I was forced to use UPS and DHL on a couple of occasions, and on EVERY one my package wasn't delivered to my door even though the tracking says it was, and I had to go and pick them up at their stores, and, I was charged import fees, brokerage fees, duty & taxes. For 1 package valued at US$95. I was charged US$45. in fees! I'd strongly suggest USPS over any of the couriers, and if it wasn't for delays at Customs I'd have got my parcels in very reasonable times. Hope that helps! 8)
Thanks for the input!
USPS is what Ill use if the need arises!
Jeff
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Jeffinn wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:28 am
Thanks in advance.
Jeff
Thanks. I just looked on the USPS website and they're still not delivering mail to Australia. Most of the other countries that I would send to aren't currently on the list.
Jeff
I've got an idea that the veto ends in March some time if this helps you. :)
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

cudgee wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:53 am

Jeff
Thanks, I’ll keep checking their list.
Jeff
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Jeffinn wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:28 pm
cudgee wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:53 am

Jeff
Thanks, I’ll keep checking their list.
Jeff
Good luck with your auction. ::tu::
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

I have not shipped out of the country with it, but I do use Pirateship.com to ship UPS and USPS within the U.S. It saves us a bit from standard rates.
It usually defaults to the least expensive rates (like Ground instead of Priority), but you can select whatever way you want to ship it.
My wife is a reseller on eBay, and it saves us money on shipping, and time NOT standing in line.
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand

Return to “AAPK Member Store Forums”