Henckels Deerfoot

For Collectors & Users of Henckels Brand Knives
outkast

Henckels Deerfoot

Post by outkast »

This is probably one of my foavrite patterns. I have only ever heard it refered to as a deerfoot since it's shape does resemble the actual deerfoot knives.
I currently have 6 of this pattern, 4 that are Henckels and they are all different. I have seen other variations of this pattern as well so how many different variations are there I have no idea.

Pictured are my newest acquisition first with a little before and after a mild cleaning and last is a pick of all 6 together.
Henckels Deerfoot Fulcrum Lockback - Corkscrew  (2).jpg
Henckels Deerfoot Fulcrum Lockback - Corkscrew  (3).jpg
Henckels Deerfoot Fulcrum Lockback - Corkscrew  (4).jpg
Henckels Deerfoot Fulcrum Lockback - Corkscrew  (5).jpg
Henckels Deerfoot Fulcrum Lockback - Corkscrew  (8).jpg
Deerfoot 3-19-21 (1).jpg
Deerfoot 3-19-21 (2).jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Henckels Deerfoot

Post by doglegg »

I don't think I have ever seen that style before. Cool collection. ::nod:: ::nod::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Wow !
I think it is a Henckels' pattern. I have an old Henckels catalog that shows this knife. I wonder if any were made after 1960 as 'contract knives', i.e. by whoever Henckels had making folding knives for them, Boker ?
They are hard to find knives so having 6 is quite an accomplishment.
kj
outkast

Post by outkast »

kootenay joe wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:52 pm Wow !
I think it is a Henckels' pattern. I have an old Henckels catalog that shows this knife. I wonder if any were made after 1960 as 'contract knives', i.e. by whoever Henckels had making folding knives for them, Boker ?
They are hard to find knives so having 6 is quite an accomplishment.
kj
I agree on it being a Henckels pattern I have however seen at least 3 other markings i.e.,the 2 others I have one unmarked and one C.F. Schwartz & Co. and I've have pics of a couple marked D.S.K. inside a oval. I have also seen a drawing refering to the pattern as a Henckels Spring Back, not sure why as there is no spring. I personally think this pattern pre-date the Boker era with Henckels and yes the are bout like hens teeth.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Yes this is an old Henckels pattern, likely goes back to early 1900's. What i was asking is: was it made after 1960 when Henckels began contracting out their folding knives ? Many patterns were not made after 1960, i.e. they were dropped, not made by contacting out.
kj
outkast

Post by outkast »

kootenay joe wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:18 am Yes this is an old Henckels pattern, likely goes back to early 1900's. What i was asking is: was it made after 1960 when Henckels began contracting out their folding knives ? Many patterns were not made after 1960, i.e. they were dropped, not made by contacting out.
kj
I would guess there's a good chance the pattern was produced after 1960 but not carrying the Henckel name. Again only a guess.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

outkast wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:09 am
kootenay joe wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:18 am Yes this is an old Henckels pattern, likely goes back to early 1900's. What i was asking is: was it made after 1960 when Henckels began contracting out their folding knives ? Many patterns were not made after 1960, i.e. they were dropped, not made by contacting out.
kj
I would guess there's a good chance the pattern was produced after 1960 but not carrying the Henckel name. Again only a guess.
To be clear, the folding knives made after 1960 for Henckels by other manufacturers are branded as "Henckels". This can make it difficult to decide if a knife is pre 1960 made by Henckels or after 1960 made by some other manufacturer. Both are tang stamped the same so you have to 'read the knife'. Often the Henckels made knives use a thicker steel stock for blades like 3/16" whereas those made FOR Henckels will have 1/8" stock. Also Henckels use a distinctive Stag, but some of this was also used on some of the post 1960 contract knives, i.e. Henckels supplied the manufacturer with the Stag for the handles until their supply of this Stag was exhausted.
There is nothing unusual about this. Knife companies in USA have long contracted out some of their knives to be made by other manufacturers.
For example a "Western" branded knife might have been made by Camillus, etc., hundreds of other examples exist.
So, because a knife is marked "Henckels" does not mean it was made by Henckels.
My earlier posts in this thread say the same thing but from the responses, i think it was not being understood correctly. I hope this post adds enough detail to make it clear.
kj
outkast

Post by outkast »

kootenay joe wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:15 pm
outkast wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:09 am
kj
To be clear, the folding knives made after 1960 for Henckels by other manufacturers are branded as "Henckels". This can make it difficult to decide if a knife is pre 1960 made by Henckels or after 1960 made by some other manufacturer. Both are tang stamped the same so you have to 'read the knife'. Often the Henckels made knives use a thicker steel stock for blades like 3/16" whereas those made FOR Henckels will have 1/8" stock. Also Henckels use a distinctive Stag, but some of this was also used on some of the post 1960 contract knives, i.e. Henckels supplied the manufacturer with the Stag for the handles until their supply of this Stag was exhausted.
There is nothing unusual about this. Knife companies in USA have long contracted out some of their knives to be made by other manufacturers.
For example a "Western" branded knife might have been made by Camillus, etc., hundreds of other examples exist.
So, because a knife is marked "Henckels" does not mean it was made by Henckels.
My earlier posts in this thread say the same thing but from the responses, i think it was not being understood correctly. I hope this post adds enough detail to make it clear.
kj
Understood completely I know about the Boker contract knives. I'm talking about others like the ones I mentioned not made by or for Henckels could very well be after 1960. Again they could also have been contracted with by Boker by whatever maker is stamped on the blade. As for the steel stock yes all my Henckels are have very thinck blades with the exception of one that has been cut, I assume it may have had some major pitting. The C.F. Schwartz & Co. is by no means a cheap made knife but it also is the quality of the Henckels. Now the unmarked is made as well as the Henckels but pinned different again this isn't a surefire way to ID as I have seen D.S.K. pinned both like my unmarked knife and like my Henckels. I also believe the unmarked knifes blade has been cut as well due to pitting. If only they could talk and better records had been kept ( assuming they were and were destroyed during the war ). I have personally contacted and sent pics of my collection to Henckels headquarters in Solingen a few times looking for any info someone may have about the history that's not out there. Sadly they have not even replied with "Sorry but we have nothing". Guess I'll have to make the rip over in a few years when I retire and kick a few chairs.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I’ve not seen that pattern previously, but I like it. Nice collection! It appears some have a corkscrew but others don’t?

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
outkast

Post by outkast »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:22 pm I’ve not seen that pattern previously, but I like it. Nice collection! It appears some have a corkscrew but others don’t?

Ken
Yes Ken, much like the Henckels double cigar cutters all are slightly different in some way.
Corkscrew
Fulcrum lock release
Friction release
Lockback (C.F. Schwartz & Co.)
Pinned differently

Return to “Henckels”