Henckels 8" Slicer

For Collectors & Users of Henckels Brand Knives
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Henckels 8" Slicer

Post by KLJ77 »

Picked this 8" slicer up at an estate sale last Saturday. Nothing spectacular, but man is it sharp and a very nice slicer in very good condition/shape. Can't beat it for .60 cents. I've never had one like this, so picked it up.
Attachments
DSCF3024.jpeg
DSCF3026.jpeg
DSCF3028.jpeg
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
cody6268

Re: Henckels 8" Slicer

Post by cody6268 »

Henckels are pretty darn good knives. I had the opportunity to build a set comprised almost entirely of Henckels, with a block, Viere Sterne bread knife, Vier Sterne (four-star) chef's knife, and a Viere Sterne spear point utility knife brand new for $25 (had been returned to QVC--bought from family friends who own a business selling QVC liquidation stuff). I then found a more modern version of your slicer for $8 at Tuesday Morning (which I'm not sure is German or not). What fills it out are French-made Nogent (also found at Tuesday Morning), a Nogent can opener, a Channellock bottle opener, two butcher knives my great-Granddad forged by hand from saw blades, two Rada (the tomato slicer is a great steak knife--but I hate the butcher due to not being full-tang), an Old Hickory butcher (used to also have an OH paring knife--but I made a sheath knife out of it), and some really good and very old paring knives that came with some folders in a used lot I bought for other knives.

Slicers are my favorite main-use kitchen knives. Butchers knives are way too big for most stuff, paring knives aren't good slicers due to tiny blades. Blades are too heavy on chef's knives. Slicers are just right.

I never see kitchen knives at fleas, thrift shops, or estate sales. I use all of my old ones, butcher knives are good all-around hard use fixed blades (if carbon steel), and many paring knives are also good small fixed blades. I did once see an old carbon steel butcher knife sticking out of a box of junk someone had set aside at the dump (presumably from cleaning out the house of someone that passed away), and figured I could use it, but I left it as I didn't feel right taking it.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Henkels are some of the best modern kitchen cutlery one can buy and use. They do come in various levels of price and some are forged and some are ground from stock but all use fine steel and take and hold a fantastic edge. Most of my kitchen cutlery, chef's, slicers, and paring knives are Henkels, I am sure you will love using it on the Thanksgiving turkey.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have old Henckels catalogs and there are many pages showing many hundreds of kitchen knives, butchering knives, etc.
Maybe even 1,000 different patterns to do with food and food prep.
kj
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

ZYILLING is the name of the American Company that handles the Henckels knives for them. I have found a few like new used ones around here. There is a nice YouTube on how they are made and the handle glued on. There is a full line kitchen store here, and my son just bought a full set with steak knives and the knife block.
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

kootenay joe wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:59 am I have old Henckels catalogs and there are many pages showing many hundreds of kitchen knives, butchering knives, etc.
Maybe even 1,000 different patterns to do with food and food prep.
kj
I can only imagine the various hundreds/thousands of different styles & models made over the years. The one I have must be an older model, SuperFection Line. Can't find one like it anywhere...not that it matters. Mine has not been used very much and came from an elderly couples home, so not sure how long they had it.
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

I find listed Superfection Classic Scissors. ZWILLING J.A. Henckels Superfection Classic Scissors and a bread slicer and cake knife. I was told that they have lines for restaurants that are by special order at my local store. So you may not find it listed.
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Thanks, Mr. Watch for taking the time to look that up. I appreciate it. ::handshake::
LJ

KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

A quick belated follow up on my Henckels 8" slicer. It took my 10# turkey on T-day down to parade rest...cut through it like butter. No regrets here from picking this one up. I'm very impressed.
LJ

kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks for the follow up. Always helpful to hear about cutting performance.
I think i have a few Henckels carving/butcher knives. If i do i will take some pictures to post here.
kj
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Not to be a contrarian but in the interest of accurate information, according to the U S
Trademark registry ZWILLING is a trademark owned by J A Henckels AG of Solingen, Germany.

The word "Zwilling" is German and translates to the English "twins". As in the Henckels trademark logo.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “Henckels”