190 Stock Knife

For Collectors & Users of Henckels Brand Knives
Drygulch

190 Stock Knife

Post by Drygulch »

J.A. Henckels 190 “Premium Stock Knife”

Found this organizing my knives this weekend, I had traded some razors for it last year. It’s a very solid heavy knife, about 4 inches long. Looks well loved. I think the scales are stag, but very pocket worn if so. If not, bone. I know Henckels quit making pocket knives in 1960. How do I know of this is before or after that time period? Anyone have any other info on it?
5B8742C1-2E86-4067-B6B2-209EE34F1E84.jpeg
D64E81EB-7203-4DD1-A849-C1CAA76823E7.jpeg
kootenay joe

Re: 190 Stock Knife

Post by kootenay joe »

Dg, i have collected Henckels for quite a few years and your question: "I know Henckels quit making pocket knives in 1960. How do I know of this is before or after that time period?" is key to collecting this brand and very hard to figure out.
Henckels made knives tend to have thicker stock used for master blades. During the early post 1960's the Henckels contract knives were of Henckels patterns. I think Henckels might have supplied the parts and maybe handle covers as well. At some point the Henckels contract knives became the same patterns as made by the contract company (Boker ??), i.e. they were the manufacturer's knives re-branded as "Henckels". These are fairly easy to spot.
Older Henckels have no pattern numbers. So are the Henckels pattern knives with a pattern number the early contract knives ? Possibly but it is just my conjecture, i have never read this posted by anyone else.
Henckels used distinctive looking stag and jigged bone, which they called "Patent Stag" so this can be helpful in ID'ing Henckels' made knives but might also be on the early contract knives.
Your knife has Henckels stag but worn down. As it has a pattern number it was either made by Henckels in the years just before 1960 or a contract knife made soon after 1960.
Note: the idea that pattern numbers likely indicate a contract knife and that in the first few years after 1960 contract knives were of Henckels patterns and Henckels parts, is all my conjecture. It might not be correct.
kj
Drygulch

Post by Drygulch »

kootenay joe wrote:Dg, i have collected Henckels for quite a few years and your question: "I know Henckels quit making pocket knives in 1960. How do I know of this is before or after that time period?" is key to collecting this brand and very hard to figure out.
Henckels made knives tend to have thicker stock used for master blades. During the early post 1960's the Henckels contract knives were of Henckels patterns. I think Henckels might have supplied the parts and maybe handle covers as well. At some point the Henckels contract knives became the same patterns as made by the contract company (Boker ??), i.e. they were the manufacturer's knives re-branded as "Henckels". These are fairly easy to spot.
Older Henckels have no pattern numbers. So are the Henckels pattern knives with a pattern number the early contract knives ? Possibly but it is just my conjecture, i have never read this posted by anyone else.
Henckels used distinctive looking stag and jigged bone, which they called "Patent Stag" so this can be helpful in ID'ing Henckels' made knives but might also be on the early contract knives.
Your knife has Henckels stag but worn down. As it has a pattern number it was either made by Henckels in the years just before 1960 or a contract knife made soon after 1960.
Note: the idea that pattern numbers likely indicate a contract knife and that in the first few years after 1960 contract knives were of Henckels patterns and Henckels parts, is all my conjecture. It might not be correct.
kj
Thanks, KJ. Any links to pictures of this knife style and the stag in no so worn condition?
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I will have a look and will post pics if i do have a better example.
kj
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

Drygulch wrote:
kootenay joe wrote:Dg, i have collected Henckels for quite a few years and your question: "I know Henckels quit making pocket knives in 1960. How do I know of this is before or after that time period?" is key to collecting this brand and very hard to figure out.
kj
Thanks, KJ. Any links to pictures of this knife style and the stag in no so worn condition?
Here are 4 examples of the 190 that I have. I hope this helps. Sorry the pictures are not that good.
Attachments
586A1C8F-FB30-43AE-B240-08876A665399.jpeg
9F6B6AB7-998E-4CB8-B19F-A453E4EF07C2.jpeg
C5E5E4B2-081D-4996-9890-7EFCD7B9BFA8.jpeg
6586C7D5-0B52-44D4-ACC6-8FFD0DBF7431.jpeg
2738EF62-5896-423D-BBE1-C7E9B1FD1E0B.jpeg
63B33247-4D89-4F75-8DD6-3E6D3A921AA8.jpeg
81CE3D17-92EA-4144-95DD-4B92C1304F00.jpeg
754A110E-A5C3-418E-8CAF-52419A57B950.jpeg
8CEBCB1E-777A-43F7-8005-7BEDFF7C65F6.jpeg
DBA1CCFC-2CFD-4ED1-B959-0D248447E07A.jpeg
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

And from the appearance of the stag, all are Henckels made knives, pre 1960. Having 4 of this pattern is an accomplishment as they are not often seen. Not rare, but uncommon.
Just checked. i only have one 190 Stockman, blades rather worn down. Not really worth taking pictures.
kj
Hideaway Knives

Post by Hideaway Knives »

Love the blade designs ::tu::
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

kootenay joe wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:33 pm And from the appearance of the stag, all are Henckels made knives, pre 1960. Having 4 of this pattern is an accomplishment as they are not often seen. Not rare, but uncommon.
Just checked. i only have one 190 Stockman, blades rather worn down. Not really worth taking pictures.
kj
KJ
I have 11 of the 190 pattern now. I really like them. They are so well made and the stag is beautiful in my opinion. On the next pretty day we have I will try to get them out for photo opportunities.
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Wow, 11 is quite an accomplishment for any of the old Henckels folding knives. They are somewhat uncommon at least here in North America.
kj

Return to “Henckels”