Challenge: Can’t find ANY info on this Henckel Solingen

For Collectors & Users of Henckels Brand Knives
Karl

Challenge: Can’t find ANY info on this Henckel Solingen

Post by Karl »

I’m sure that there must be someone out there that must know more about this Henckels knife. I’ve searched for hours and hours all no avail. I cannot find a single Henckel with the the same mark as this one nor can I find any with a date stamped on it. It’s in excellent shape. It was my grandfathers and I’d like to leave to my upcoming grandson but I’d like to know any history and my grandparents are long gone.
It measures 2.75 x 1.5
Please see the pics. It’s a 3 blade but the file and scissors don’t open at same time so that’s why there’s no pic of all 3 open.
4B7416E3-29A9-44A8-8CC1-1C97BC17BEC8.jpeg
5B28A747-A5BA-4EA9-BFD0-C02450EEF107.jpeg
1D2219D3-8163-4EA0-8506-B6402C990CE1.jpeg
40E6307E-3C9B-42A3-943F-3F6ABF6AA935.jpeg
98B23A3D-4A9A-491F-8130-F108183BC7A7.jpeg
B259ABC5-1D28-4693-BFD7-FE6B095D40E1.jpeg
Thanks!
Karl
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Challenge: Can’t find ANY info on this Henckel Solingen

Post by deo-pa »

Welcome to AAPK! It is a known Henckels mark; see this post: viewtopic.php?t=28543.

The post seems to suggest that this tang stamp was registered in in the late 19th Century but your knife is clearly not from that era. I have no idea of when the company actually used this stamp but as your knife is dated 1957 we know it was used at least then.

Here is a similar one showing all three blades open: https://www.ebay.com/itm/J-A-HENCKELS-S ... SwHzBZpD-k

Dennis
Karl

Post by Karl »

Thanks Dennis! That’s the one. Awesome info. Are you aware if a date stamp was common? It doesn’t look like there’s one in the link you sent but the pics are too blurry. On the side with the mark I’ve not seen any with “Henckels International Solingen” (see 4th photo) it’s on the the the one you sent. Otherwise I can’t find find it on any of their pocketknives.

Karl
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Karl, welcome. Hope you will stay with us. The only thing I can add to your query is that Henckel stopped making pocket knives in the mid-70s. After that, pocket knives were subcontracted. Your 1957 knife appears to be in fine condition; a very nice example of one of Henckel's scissor knives. ::tu::
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Henkels International is not the same as JA Henkels Twinworks who use the twins logo. I don't know who made this knife but it is quite new. There are thousands of modern kitchen knives with the Henkels International mark and they are nowhere near the quality of the real Henkels Twinworks knives. The mark on the OP knife is not the Henkels Twinworks mark.
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

Are you aware if a date stamp was common?
I do not know. Roland (kj) has had a lot of vintage Henckels; maybe he or someone else can comment on that.

Dennis
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Henckels has never used a date stamping that i know of.
Henckels stopped making their own folding knives in 1960 according to BRL
Henckels International with just one of the twins is their lower end line and made i think in Brazil.
Your knife still gets marked "Germany" because of lax import laws in Germany.
Although Henckels International is a less expensive line the knives are still perfectly fine.
Henckels has made hundreds of differing metal handle Gent's knives and it is not possible to date them any more specifically than to say yours is 'recent', meaning after WW II and likely closer to 1970's which is strictly a guess on my part. (the 1970 bit)
kj
outkast

Post by outkast »

HENCKELS INTERNATIONAL brand was established in 1895 as a separate value brand of ZWILLING J.A.

ZWILLING J.A. Henckels is the premium cutlery lines, manufactured in Germany. All ZWILLING knives have a "TWIN" logo on the blade.
J.A. Henckels International is the entry level cutlery lines. These are manufactured in Spain and Asia (depending on the specific product). These knives have the single stick figure logo on the blade.
Karl

Post by Karl »

Okay color me impressed. Y’all know your stuff! Thank u very much. I’ll still give to my grandson but now I’ll know more about it.

Return to “Henckels”