An Odd Twin Stamp?

For Collectors & Users of Henckels Brand Knives
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

An Odd Twin Stamp?

Post by Mossdancer »

I talked with Dale(Orvet) a couple of nights back and he suggested I try posting this here as it had a lot of lookers but no response in the Razor forum.
The blade as you see is normal enough for a Henkels product(A Straight Razor) with the exception of the stamping of the word TWIN with made in Germany on the tang. The 1900 stick figure of the twins are there but no mention of Henckels. Also there is a number (61 or G1)or nomenclature stamped above the stick figure I do as you also know it is a Henckels but it is not in the stamp. Has anyone seen this configuration of the stamp? The back side shows the sellers name J.A.Undeland. There is a good bit to be found on the net about this vendor. If you have any knowledge or information about this Razor your response would certainly be appreciated,
Tha
PICT0020.JPG
PICT0021.JPG
PICT0022.JPG
Thank You
moss
I STAND FOR OUR NATIONAL ANTHEM
kootenay joe

Re: An Odd Twin Stamp?

Post by kootenay joe »

A 3 month old thread with no replies ! o.k. here goes:
stamping looks fine to me; made for export to North America as markings are in English.
How do you see the Twins as circa 1900 ?
kj
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mossdancer »

You can check the different twins configurations here. Also find the company history. Thanks for the question.

http://www.j-a-henckels.com/en-WW/Compa ... --401.html

moss
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have books & Henckels catalogs that give examples of the Twins stamping from 1800's to present. However i cannot see any differences to distinguish one from another.
Can you describe what you see in the Twins logo stamping that allows you to date it ?
kj
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mossdancer »

I am not dating it to the earliest only repeating what the Henckels site says and that is that the background version with the twins appendages positioned as they are started in that era. If you would like it to be the newer one I can get some red paint and change the background. If you look up the name on the backside you can find the dates that org. was in business.
My recollection says in the early 1900's maybe 1915 to 1930. If you have seen this stamp with only the word TWIN not in the plural form and no mention of Henckel on it, only Germany please show an image of it. Thank you for your concern. I can tell you only what I know I will never try to pull a fast one. My contention is it is an odd Twin stamp and that is why I titled it as such.
moss,
edit: It states on the homepage that the following was the timeline for the twins and that they may originally have represented for some reason the twins from Gemini; I hope this helps.

[The extension gif has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

EDIT: A bit more research and this showed up. ATTENTION EDITORS, I have no idea if this is a copyright infringement as it came from a site called the "SHAVE DEN". If need be it should be deleted. I think possibly by mention of the site it may be okay to post.
And now we all know more about Mr. Undeland than before.

A cut from "The Shave Den"
"He was my great grandfather. Sold straight edge razors, hair tonics, handpainted china shaving mugs, hydralic barber chairs 1897 - early 1900's. Immigrated from Ulvik, Norway with his wife Barbara and daughter Jenny. He was knighted by the King of Norway to the order of St. Olaf (sp.?).
Their daughter Jenny was my grandmother.

Mary Jane McClean Curry"

Edit: Credit where credit is due. My Thanks to Brian as he has once again made AAPK easier to use.
Moss

Return to “Henckels”