Which German Company Best Maker?

J.A. Henckels is a Solingen, Germany based knife manufacturer that dates back to 1731. The company's Zwilling (twin) logo is known to be one of the oldest trademarks in the world. Throughout the company's history, it has made some of the world's finest pocket knives, kitchen knives, scissors & flatwear. In 1960 Henckels ceased their pocket knife production and started having other companies make knives for them on contract. Boker has been one of the main producers of more recent Henckels products.
hard.times.lures

Which German Company Best Maker?

Postby hard.times.lures » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:32 pm

I know that there are various opinions in the U.S. on which German maker made the best line of knives. But I wonder what the Germans think the best maker is (or was)?

For example, I think that Old Eye Brand knives had great edge holding steel, but I found the fit and finish somewhat lacking. I always felt the older Henckels had great fit and finish, but fell behine the older Eye Brand in edge holding.

Are there any opinions from Germany?

Thanks, Bryan

buck16

Re: Which German Company Best Maker?

Postby buck16 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:37 pm

Strictly as a tool , my opinion is the Eye Brand knives. Schmidt & Ziegler would be a close second IMO.

Eye Brand Man
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Which German Company Best Maker?

Postby Eye Brand Man » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:26 pm

I agree. As a cutting tool eye brand are hard to beat. But as far as overall build quality the old hen & rooster were might fine.
Eye Brand Collector

Return to “Henckels Knife Forum”