My Henckels knives

For Collectors & Users of Henckels Brand Knives
Sut Tatersaul

My Henckels knives

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

I don't seem to be getting anywhere trying to use the AAPK forum. I am a new member, and have reached the stage in life called " Advanced Maturity". At age 86, I have lost a scary amount of my memory, and most of my computing skills, due to a couple of falls on my head. I hope I don't appear as the "Village Idiot" to you folks. Anyway, at one time, back in the late sixties, and early seventies, I considered Henckels knives to be the "Cat's Meow" and acquired a meager collection. Haven't thought about them in years. I just found the AAPK Forum a few days ago, and have been trying to research my Henckels Knives. My two Sons used to buy Henckel knives and give them to me as Christmas presents. I have one in particular, a Small multi putpose pocket knife, similar to a swiss army knife. It is in the original box listed as a #51834600. It has lain unused since the first time it was opened and the main spring broke. Idon't even remember which of my Sons bought the knife, for me, or whether they bought it together, but the youngest Son has been dead for 44 years, and the older one is 65 years old. I'v always wanted to get this knife repaired, and over the years, have been in touch with several Companies that did repair work on knives, with no success, and the job finally fell by the wayside. Does anyone in this great Knife Forum, know of anyone that could, or would repair it for me? Thanks.
Sut Tatersaulhttps://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_foru ... &id=295075
Attachments
DSC01449.JPG
It's Mind Over Matter, If You Don't Mind, It Don't Matter
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: My Henckels knives

Post by Quick Steel »

Sut, I hope someone will come along who can point you in the right direction. It is a very nifty, sleek looking knife.
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

I agree with Quick Steel - there are many members of this forum that are accomplished artisans and could render an opinion on your repair needs. ::welcome:: to AAPK and no you don't sound any different than the rest of us here, actually sounds like you'll fit in perfectly. Stay tuned, someone with more knowledge than I will be responding.
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Stakeknife

Post by Stakeknife »

Don't know where to get it fixed. But...My Dad always had one, of those in his pocket. I'm 66 so that would put the time frame in the early 60's.
NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

A man with a gun is a citizen, a man without a gun is a subject. Our forefathers knew this to be true..... Why do so many of us question their wisdom?
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Sut there are several talented knife mechanics here on AAPK. The biggest obstacle to getting your knife fixed would likely be finding a replacement spring for the broken one. Very likely a new spring would have to be fabricated (no simple task). May I suggest you visit the Knife Repair and Restoration forum here on AAPK (Link below) and post this knife and the story you shared about it and see if anyone there would be willing to take on the job of restoring your knife. Good luck sir.

viewforum.php?f=37
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Sut Tatersaul

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

Here is my hodgepodge collection of Henckels knives. There may be more of them stuck away with other things, but the most of them are shown. Thanks for sharing them with me.
Sut Tatersaulhttps://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_foru ... &id=296157
Attachments
DSC01513.JPG
Sut Tatersaul

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

Hi, All:
Another Zwilling J.A.Henckles knife surfaced today, it was found hiding in my gun safe. It is a large folding, lock open hunter, cased in a wood case, marked 1731. The blade measures 3 3/8" long, and the knife is 8" long overall, open. This knife was a present from my two Sons, many years ago. I don't know if the handle material is ebony, or a phenolic material, any thoughts on that matter? Thanks for sharing.
Sut Tatersaul
Attachments
DSC01541.JPG
DSC01542.JPG
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

A lovely and interesting knife. If someone here doesn't identify the handle material, you can always send photos to Henckles. Someone there ought to know.
Sut Tatersaul

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

Hi, Quick Steel:
I have been trying every way, that I can find, for a week or so, to try to contact J.A.Henckels, about the history of their knife making, and possibly the knife that I posted a picture of, a Knife, I think to honor their start in 1731. Well, there seems to be hundreds of web sites listed under J.A. Henckels, but not a one that I was able to find, that had anything to do with their history, or about knives other than great knives to cut up your salad, or steak. I will have to admit to having lost my computing skills, but it shouldn't be that hard to find history on that very old brand of knife. I guess I'll just have to give up, and enjoy it for what it is.
Sut Tatersaul
Attachments
DSC01541.JPG
DSC01542.JPG
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I suggest you sent an email with photo of your knife to the email address below. I think it is your best shot at getting an answer or discovering where to make the inquiry.

The history of the ZWILLING J.A. HENCKELS brand. The history of the symbol which represents ZWILLING J.A. ... It was then that Johann Peter Henckels, a knife-maker based in Solingen, registered the "Twin"- symbol - now recognized throughout the world - as his trademark with the Cutlers´ Guild of Solingen.
J.A. HENCKELS INTERNATIONAL :: Company profile :: The history of ...

http://www.j-a-henckels.com/.../The-his ... brand--401....
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

That knife was made by Boker for Henckels. The same pattern marked "Boker" is seen regularly on ebay.
Sut, the 2 top knives in your group picture look like they could be 'older' Henckels. (single blade with lockback release tab, and 2 blade with saw secondary)
Any chance of a close up picture of these 2 ?
kj
Sut Tatersaul

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

Joe:
Here are close up pictures of the two lock open Henckels knives that you requested. My photography skills are very pore, and getting worse. I'm only sending a couple of pictures, but have more, if you want to see them. Let me know.
Sut Tatersaul
Attachments
DSC01705.JPG
DSC01708.JPG
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thank you Sut. Judging from the Stag it is likely that these knives are Henckels made and therefore from before 1960. Excellent examples ! Is the blade spine thicker than on other knives of the same size ? If it is, you will recognize right away that the spine is thick.
Older Henckels often used 3/16 - 1/4" thick stock for the single blade knives.
kj
Sut Tatersaul

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

Joe:
The blade thickness is as close as i can tell 7/64", on both knives. It doesn't look to be thicker than usual. A lot of my Henckels knives were Christmas presents from our two Sons, and the purchase records, no longer exist. The only local dealer that carried Henckels knives, in the 1960-1970 era was The premier hardware in Columbus, Ohio, named Columbus Hardware, and my Henckles knives would have been purchased from them. Any of my Henckels knives purchased from the 1970 era on, could have been purchased from Ether the long gone, Cols. Hardware, or the premier Gun Store in Columbus, that carried the Henckles brand, and still in business, Vance's Gun Store. All but one of them have been used very little, or not at all. The one most used was the first Henckels knife that I ever owned, a 1950 era Whittler, a three bladed, knife with buffalo horn scales. I used that knife from the 1950s, until I retired it about a month ago, and gave it to my Son. That adds up to around to 66+ years of use. Sorry, that I launched into reminiscing about my old Henckels knives. Thanks for the Information.
Sut Tatersaul

Return to “Henckels”