Old Pearl Congress

For Collectors & Users of Henckels Brand Knives
kootenay joe

Old Pearl Congress

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is a well used small Henckels Congress knife. All 4 blades are marked "J.A.Henckels" in an arch over the twins & on the master blade only "Germany" is below the twins. I believe this dates the knife to the 1890's.
Last pic shows it with a 3 5/8" Henckels whittler. This Congress is only 1 7/8" closed, yet someone carried & used it, frequently from looks of wear showing. That is what makes this knife 'neat'.
kj
Attachments
Picture 003.jpg
Picture 004.jpg
Picture 006.jpg
Picture 007.jpg
Picture 008.jpg
Picture 009.jpg
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Old Pearl Congress

Post by philco »

Interesting knife. I wish it could tell its story. Reading your post got me to thinking that the vast majority of the cutting I do with a knife could be accomplished with a much smaller knife than the ones I carry. Most all of my pocket carries are in the 3 1/2 in. to 4 1/4 in. size range (closed length) but I very seldom really need a knife that big. You can cut string, paper, cardboard and tape with a much smaller knife.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
dcgm4

Post by dcgm4 »

Very cool congress. I have often wondered about tiny knives like that one. Some I know were made more as novelties, but others like your congress were used. I have this old Josiah Barnes quill knife that is only 1 3/4" closed. Were these knives perhaps made for children originally? ::shrug::

I totally get what you're saying, Phil. On knives with small secondary blades I tend to use those more than the larger blades. But a knife with a closed length of under 2" seems kind of small to be an EDC imho, even as a secondary carry. Plus back in the day men were more concerned about appearing masculine than they do now. I can just imagine a guy in the late 1800's pulling out a dainty sub-2" quill knife around his mates. From then on they called him "Lady Fingers." Sorry, my mind wandered. What were we talking about? :-?
Attachments
Josiah Barnes Quill 1.JPG
Dave

Always looking for vintage knives with Virginia, Maryland, or Washington D.C. tang stamps. Any condition.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Lovely Quill knife Dave and excellent condition. I don't think these very small knives were intended for children although it is an interesting idea. I have read that a tiny knife was sometimes placed in a sewing kit and for ripping out a seam i think they would work well.
kj
dcgm4

Post by dcgm4 »

Thanks. That does make sense. I've seen small knives in sewing kits that were fixed blades, but having a folding knife instead would be much safer. No risk of cutting your fingers reaching into the sewing kit. ::hmm::
Dave

Always looking for vintage knives with Virginia, Maryland, or Washington D.C. tang stamps. Any condition.
keithw

Post by keithw »

That Henckels knife is really nice. I don't think I've run across one that old in my ramblings. ::tu::

I really like smaller "fancy" knives, and I seldom need a large knife.
My problem with knives smaller than 3 inches is that I lose track of them in my pants.
I can't count the times I've had to search the car for a small knife that slipped out of my pocket; or had to go through the laundry hamper looking for a knife that I forgot to remove.
For me anyway a large knife is just easier to keep up with.
Keith
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
-- Mike Tyson

Return to “Henckels”