Old Henckels Patterns

For Collectors & Users of Henckels Brand Knives
Mason

Old Henckels Patterns

Post by Mason »

It's great to see a new catagory dedicated to "J. A. Henckels", which produced not only some of the best knives in Germany, but certainly among the best in the world. Let's see some nice older (hopefully pre WWII) models in this thread. Enclosed is a very fine old Henckels Whittler.
Attachments
Henckels Whittler (1500x1442).jpg
montemojo

Re: Old Henckels Patterns

Post by montemojo »

Thats a beauty Mason, I dont know much about them though. The stag handles and the badge are really eye catching. I would like to see the tang stamps. I just want to know what to look for and would like to know how tell the age of their knives.

Monte
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Mason, your Henckels whittler is a fabulous example! My wife has some modern Henckels kitchen knives otherwise I'm not familiar with their pocket knives. Glad to see the new forum and some nice knives!
Mason

Post by Mason »

Thanks montemojo and RalphAlsip.
Here is an old Champagne model with some wonderful detailed metal handles.
Attachments
Henckels silver champagne knife (2500x1674).jpg
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

Good one Mason, great looking set of legs on her. I dont beleive I've ever seen a cork screw with a groove going down the spiral like that. The craftsmanship of the old knives is outstanding. You can tell how people really took pride in their work. Most that I work with just want a pay check.

Monte
wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

I have one you guys have probably seen in another thread but belongs here , it`s an old switchblade most likely pre-war
Attachments
Henckels.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I am late to the party, again !
I am the member who asked for a Henckels forum and i did not realize it had been created. I am at my 'bush home' for the next week or so but i will add many knives to this forum starting when i get back to my 'knife home'.
What every Henckels collector needs to know is that every folding knife made after 1960 with the Henckels name and logo are contract knives; i.e. made by other manufacturers, not made by Henckels.
The Henckels made knives are superior and are the knives that i hope this forum focuses upon.
In the early years of contracting out, the knives made were copies of Henckels patterns. These can be a challenge to differentiate from the Henckels made knives. Some of these early contract knives are hafted in what i think is Henckels Stag and Henckels "PSB" (Patent Stag BONE), suggesting to me that Henckels either hafted them or sent their own handle materials to the contract company.
A big part of this forum hopefully will be to help each other differentiate Henckels made folders from the early contract folders.
Some years after contracting out began the knives became the same patterns as those of the contract company (mostly Boker). These are easy to tell are not Henckels made. More recently i think the Henckels branded folders might be made in China. Note: this does not necessarily mean a decline in quality from the German made contract knives, as many Chinese made knives are now of high quality despite their low price.
Please also note: That Henckels stopped making their own folding knives in 1960 is fact. The rest of the 'history' above i made up myself based on observations of my many Henckels knives. It may not be accurate although i can see no other way of explaining the evolution of these knives from 1960 to now.
I'll be back in about 2 weeks with pictures.
kj
ObsidianEdge

Post by ObsidianEdge »

Good to see this part of the forum, and the posts by Neil and Roland.
IMG_1786_zps7efc38db.JPG
Attachments
IMG_1790_zpsb64d82ed.JPG
Mike Robuck

Author: "Gun Trader's Guide to Collectible Knives"
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I just realize that i forgot to return with pictures and again i am away from my knives, but i will post a variety of Henckels but none as spectacular as the one just posted by Obsidian Edge. I don't know how old that one with the fancy scroll work on the blade is, but it is a pattern seen in circa WW I Henckels catalogs, so, old.
kj
ObsidianEdge

Post by ObsidianEdge »

Roland, it's in the 1898 "Musterbuch" I have but with a corkscrew. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your Henckels collection. We used to trade a lot of emails on Henckels knives many years ago. Thanks for your nice comments.
Mike Robuck

Author: "Gun Trader's Guide to Collectible Knives"

Return to “Henckels”