Information wanted about an E. Parker Sheffield

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
sakoblade

Information wanted about an E. Parker Sheffield

Post by sakoblade »

Here is one little gem that I picked up yesterday.

Length is approximately 3 1/4 inches and the four blades are in need of some TLC, they are marked E. Parker and some more info but I need to get rid of the rust to see what it says more. I suspect the stamps are E. Parker & Sons.

Scales are cracked with hairlines and a small piece is missing but it is still a nice little knife.

I am not at all sure but the scales look like tortoise shell but again, I might be totally out there?

Any input on the maker and model will be greatly appreciated!

Jim
FullSizeRender 56.jpg
FullSizeRender 55.jpg
knife7knut

Re: Information wanted about an E. Parker Sheffield

Post by knife7knut »

Goins lists an Edward Parker & Sons Germany having to do with Germania Cutlery Co.The handles look to be clear horn stained to look like tortoise shell.If you could post a close up of the handles near the bolsters and illuminate it well I could give you a better idea.I have always thought of that pattern as a cigar jack. The blades look like they have hand forged nail marks(inconsistent in width) and I think there is a patent on that manicure blade but I can't recall off hand. Nice little knife!
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

Nice old knife. Could be Ebenezer Parker & Sons Sheffield. Is 3709 stamped on one of the tangs?

Edit: I enlarged the photo and it appears to have 3709 stamped. Around the mid 1880s Atkinson Bros acquired Parker's assets and trademarks. The pattern was common in the late 1800s early 1900s.
Rust Never Sleeps
sakoblade

Post by sakoblade »

Wow, thanks for super fast replies!! :)

Yes there seem to be 3709 stamped on the tangs but I need to remove some rust before I can say that with any certainty.Will try to clean it up some tomorrow and post new pics.

So that old? Wow, now I am happy!! I have a few older Sheffield knives from before and this will fit in the collection even if it has it´s flaws. But who hasn´t? 8)
About the handles/scales, tortoise shell is much shinier isn´t it? These are a bit dull or faded and probably horn as you say.

Never seen bolsters like this either.

Good night all!

Jim
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Nice knife Jim, don't go crazy trying to clean it up. Patina is good on a knife that old. The handles are tortoise.
AAPK Janitor
sakoblade

Post by sakoblade »

Miller Bro's, thanks for the caution! So easy to get carried away! ::tu::

I just brushed it with some mineral oil and a toothbrush to get rid of the worst of the rust and I will not do anything more to it.
Maybe a drop of linseed oil on the handle scales but that's for later.

I like knives with a history so I'm cool with how it turned out.

Wish you all a great weekend!

Jim
Parker Bro's
Parker Bro's
Parker Bro's
Parker Bro's

Return to “European-made knives”