robeson model ?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
cato

robeson model ?

Post by cato »

picked up this neat little

R.C. CO.

ANY INFO
Attachments
s-l1600 (3).jpg
s-l1600 (4).jpg
RobesonsRme.com

Re: robeson model ?

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Those are sweet little knives. I've seen one in pick bone too.

Does your knife have a pattern number on it?

Here's mine, and 722159 is its number, but given the pen in mine vs the manicure blade in yours, the pattern numbers should not be the same, I don't think.

Charlie
Attachments
722159B.jpg
722159B.jpg (13.75 KiB) Viewed 1154 times
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Some beautiful pearl, gentlemen. It almost looks like the master on the OP knife could be a Wharnie. I think that's some real Robeson history, cato. ::tu::

Charlie, which is the digit that designates the pearl knives, anyway? One of my very few "real Robesons" is a small (but different pattern) tuxedo-like pen but I don't recall there being a model stamped on the blades -- possibly because they're so small. I may want to deep-dive into that knife's history given how few I seem to come across. It is the smallest folder I currently own.
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
RobesonsRme.com

7 is the number for genuine pearl.

Robeson did not put numbers on every knife.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Quote: "Robeson did not put numbers on every knife"

Was this random throughout the history of Robeson knives ? or in general can one say that the older knives are less likely to have a pattern number ?
kj
RobesonsRme.com

Dr. Roland, I do not think they began using their numbering system until after they moved the manufacturing from Camillus, New York to Perry, New York or circa 1900.

I do not think they numbered all knives that were made on contract for some company, knives that had company etches or embossed handles with a company name.

Some knive's blades were simply too small for a number, even in two sets of three digits on two lines.

For instance, this little two blade is only about 1 1/2" long.

Charlie
Attachments
TwoBlade10B.jpg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

That is nearly a micro mini Charlie. ::tu:: But still exact workmanship. Beautiful knife!
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
cato

Post by cato »

thanks for the post....

will post more pics when it arrives...

i have a few pearls by various makers,

And would have to say. That the ones i have had by Robeson
that were small are very well done.. i would put them right at
the top of the list.. for small pearl knives..
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thank you Dr. Robeson !
Back in their day small pearl pen knives were among the most expensive of all the folding knives in a companies offerings. The fine workmanship and beautiful pearl reflects this high value.
Today things are the opposite: collectors much prefer larger Jack knives over petite pen knives so it can be quite inexpensive to be a collector of fine pen knives; the best knives for the least money.
I am quite partial to pen knives.
kj
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

If that isn't my cue to post my smallest Robeson, I don't know what is. :lol:
31604157993_5c462b01e8_k.jpg
32037850200_0190998ab7_k.jpg
2⅝" long with blades suited for the most delicate of work, good snap and authoritative half stops. My recollection regarding the pattern number was wrong -- this one has "22" over "80" on the pile side of the master, which would indicate it's a "2280" but that doesn't seem to jibe with any Robeson numbering system I'm aware of, so I will have to defer to Charlie's expertise. I can't see anything indicating a third column of digits was ground or worn away. Could be a fake, but at least it's got nice pearl on the pile side. :mrgreen:
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Lovely petite pen knife TB.
I highly doubt it's a fake. Fakes are rarely seen with pen knives. And under 3" pen knives are now harder to sell than the larger pen knives and this very limited 'market' helps keep the fakers away. Remember: "A pen knife today keeps the fakers away".
Go pen knives !
kj
RobesonsRme.com

Tsar, your knife is missing some numbers.

Pattern number should read 722380.

Here's my example and I just received a Terrier of the same pattern, but it needs a little cleaning.

I have seen this pattern as a whittler, too.

Charlie
Attachments
722380B.jpg
722380B.jpg (14.61 KiB) Viewed 933 times
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

I knew I could count on you, Charlie. Thank you!

I was skeptical because the numbers were so far off-center but under incandescent light it just didn't seem like it was worn or altered. I just now used a loupe and a 950 lumens flashlight at a severe angle and it does appear that there could be hints of two different numbers to the left of the 22 and 80, a "7" is highly possible on the top row and the total faint "blotch" I can barely see on the bottom row may as well be a 3. ::shrug::

Once again you've done a masterful job as a Robeson Knife Gumshoe. ::tu:: Does the fact that mine has the cursive "ShurEdge" stamp on the mark side of the master and the "R.C. Co" on the pile side of the pen blade give any hints as to date of production? Maybe it's a "transitional"... :lol:
RobesonsRme.com

Dating Robeson Knives by anything other than the stamp on the master blade is folly, I think.

The only good data we have is by Tom Kalcevic in Knives Can Talk!.

I use his data, but I do not guarantee it. He lives in the Perry, New York, had access to materials, former workers and the wife of Emerson Case, director and president from about 1940 to 1965.

Tom dates that ROBESON / ShurEdge / U.S.A. stamp 1916 to 1939.

Given that I have a Terrier of the same pattern, that 1916 date is appropriate.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Your insight is, as always, much appreciated, Charlie. ::tu::

Glad to know that I'll have this little fella with me as it turns 100 years old at some point in the near to not-so-near future. ::nod:: My nieces will appreciate the story of such an old "cute" knife.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”