Old dirty Kabar 1100 is it worth saving?

The KA-BAR brand originated as a trademark of the Tidioute Cutlery Company. Tidioute was later taken over & renamed the Union Cutlery Company which continued making the brand until Union eventually adopted it as the company name in 1952. Cutco Corporation later acquired the company in 1996.
Stakeknife

Old dirty Kabar 1100 is it worth saving?

Post by Stakeknife »

Here is my most recent find. Seems to be in good shape, lots of meat on the blades, the handle is in good shape. The only problem is the tanto blade has some wobble, any suggestions? Should I try to find someone who would fix it?
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

A man with a gun is a citizen, a man without a gun is a subject. Our forefathers knew this to be true..... Why do so many of us question their wisdom?
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Old dirty Kabar 1100 is it worth saving?

Post by gsmith7158 »

Stakeknife here is a link with some remedies for that it might give you some ideas.

http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... ade+wobble
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

It'd make a good ol toter. Looks like some blade loss on the clip blade, maybe reshaped some. It also looks like someone tried to tighten it up at some point.

That's what we call a HOK (Honest Old Knife). They are a favorite of mine. Knives that have been well used and still have some life in them.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Stakeknife

Post by Stakeknife »

It reminds me of my long dead Uncles. four Kansas farmers that always wore bib overalls even on Sunday when they went to church. They had brown arms and white foreheads. They would sit around at family dinners and each would tout the fine qualities of the knives they swore by, one liked case, one liked buck and one would claim Kabar was the best. I was just a little squirt but I remember the names of the knives. 1956 or so I suppose.

So now have more than one of each.
NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

A man with a gun is a citizen, a man without a gun is a subject. Our forefathers knew this to be true..... Why do so many of us question their wisdom?
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Stakeknife wrote:It reminds me of my long dead Uncles. four Kansas farmers that always wore bib overalls even on Sunday when they went to church. They had brown arms and white foreheads. They would sit around at family dinners and each would tout the fine qualities of the knives they swore by, one liked case, one liked buck and one would claim Kabar was the best. I was just a little squirt but I remember the names of the knives. 1956 or so I suppose.

SOunds like my family as well. Except it was pretty much all Case. Lol. And I'm still a fan of the overalls. They're comfortable and you can pack all kinds of pocket knives in them pockets!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

Any artifact is worth saving. Even the Japanese knives of the 1960's.(Lord, that brings back memories).

Just ask Arf, The Wonder Chicken. (He'll tell you the same thing). ::nod::
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Nah, better send 'er to me!! I'll dispose of it properly! ::woot::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Stakeknife

Post by Stakeknife »

It probably needs your expertise. Would you replace the big blade that was cut down? Fix the wobble, polish the blades till I can see the color of my eyes in them? Make the plastic handle magically turn into a beautiful piece of bone?
NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Stakeknife wrote:It reminds me of my long dead Uncles. four Kansas farmers that always wore bib overalls even on Sunday when they went to church. They had brown arms and white foreheads. They would sit around at family dinners and each would tout the fine qualities of the knives they swore by, one liked case, one liked buck and one would claim Kabar was the best. I was just a little squirt but I remember the names of the knives. 1956 or so I suppose.

I'am from Kansas and I knew them guys.

Harold
Stakeknife

Post by Stakeknife »

Have a cousin Named Harold. Last Name Barrett. Big fella played a litte football in high school. Last I heard he worked at that big camping trailer company in Heston I think.
NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

So are you two really cousins or are ya just playin' with us?
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Colonel26 wrote:

SOunds like my family as well. Except it was pretty much all Case. Lol. And I'm still a fan of the overalls. They're comfortable and you can pack all kinds of pocket knives in them pockets!
Mine's been Boker and Case mostly. I'm a Boker USA and Solingen, Camillus USA , and Schrade USA man myself.

That's a nice old knife--ready to be put back to work. That condition is what most of my carried knives are in.

Return to “KA-BAR Knife Collector's Forum”