This is why I don't like destructive testing............

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
knife7knut

This is why I don't like destructive testing............

Post by knife7knut »

On another thread it was noted that a test for ivory could be done with VERY LITTLE damage. Well that maybe so but there were other methods mentioned that do not involve damaging the specimen.
Here is a beautiful little Jewelry and Cutlery Novelty Co pull ball switchblade. Made by George Schrade it features a blade that has a built in manicure file on the sides of the blade. The bail is stamped,"1/20 10 carat G.F." Pretty obvious what the handle is made of;right? A very thin coating of 10 carat gold over a base metal. Apparently whoever acquired this knife either did not own a loupe or was unable to read because they acid tested both sides of the handle in several places before coming to the obvious conclusion that it was not solid gold. Boy! Talk about an incredible grasp of the obvious!
I must add that I acquired this knife years ago when gold had a much lower intrinsic value.Even in today's prices there would be very little value in the amount of 10 carat gold in those handles;even if they were solid.What they did manage to accomplish was to destroy a somewhat rare example of a pull ball switchblade.
So what is my point in posting this? Simply DO NOT use destructive testing in ANY form no matter what material you are trying to identify.
Attachments
JC&NCo.PullBall 001.jpg
JC&NCo.PullBall 002.jpg
JC&NCo.PullBall 003.jpg
JC&NCo.PullBall 004.jpg
JC&NCo.PullBall 005.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
KnifeSlinger#81

Re: This is why I don't like destructive testing............

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Anybody who does that to a nice knife in good shape out to be ::smack::
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: This is why I don't like destructive testing............

Post by glennbad »

That's a dang shame, Ray... :(

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”