Case XX 6235 Rough Black NO pattern number

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
waggo71

Case XX 6235 Rough Black NO pattern number

Post by waggo71 »

Just picked this up recently, the swell end jack is one of my all time favorites. I have a number of these but this is the first one I've picked up without a pattern number. I have read that some were made in the XX era without pattern stamps, curious to know if there was any method to the madness or just willy-nilly?
Attachments
6235a.JPG
6235b.JPG
6235c.JPG
RalphAlsip

Re: Case XX 6235 Rough Black NO pattern number

Post by RalphAlsip »

Some XX patterns from the early 1940's don't have pattern numbers stamped on them. I have XX 65's and 45's without pattern numbers, but am not aware of a formal methodology that would identify which years and which patterns won't be stamped with pattern numbers.
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

No formula but generally speaking the very early XX knives are the ones lacking pattern numbers. Some say 1948 or so before pattern numbers became regular. That is why a lot of the early knives that have a long pull don't have them as these were earlier knives in most cases. There are many, many exceptions. Hope this helps.

Tom
waggo71

Post by waggo71 »

Thanks, gents...appreciate the input. Looks like Wartime or right after based on your info.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”