Old hickory butcher/bushcraft

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
Vintagesteel

Old hickory butcher/bushcraft

Post by Vintagesteel »

Hello! So I've been playing around with this old hickory, attempting to make a bushcraft style knife. I've had a lot of fun tinkering with it so far. Now I need to figure out how to grind the bevel at the tip to match the rest of the blade. I'm guessing I need to make some sort of jig to file/grind it evenly but haven't figured it out yet. Has anyone done this or have any pointers? Any info would be much appreciated!
Attachments
IMG_20161006_212333376.jpg
Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I'll spend the first four sharpening the axe. Abraham lincoln
FRJ

Re: Old hickory butcher/bushcraft

Post by FRJ »

I can't help you much but I like the effort and the blade.
Maybe a slow speed 6" soft wheel.?
Joe
Vintagesteel

Post by Vintagesteel »

FRJ wrote:I can't help you much but I like the effort and the blade.
Maybe a slow speed 6" soft wheel.?
Thank you! I didn't think about a soft wheel, I'll look into that. I was imagining I needed a big belt grinder( which I don't have) if I can figure it out I would like to make a couple more of these in different styles handle material etc. It's cheap entertainment ::nod::
Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I'll spend the first four sharpening the axe. Abraham lincoln
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I think you're on to something good, Vintagesteel. Hope to see more pictures. ::tu::
Joe
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Great job! It looks good.

I frequently carry a full sized 7" Clauss or Case (not sure exactly, no markings, but looks like either) butcher knife in a Bowie sheath for wood chopping and brush cutting in the mountains.
Vintagesteel

Post by Vintagesteel »

cody6268 wrote:Great job! It looks good.

I frequently carry a full sized 7" Clauss or Case (not sure exactly, no markings, but looks like either) butcher knife in a Bowie sheath for wood chopping and brush cutting in the mountains.
Thank you Cody! I bought a kabar replacement sheath which fits this 7" old hickory butcher perfectly, I stuck that one in my camping gear. I saw some guys were making kephart style knives out of these old Hickory's so I figured I'd try my hand at it! As I said before, it's been a lot of fun
Vintagesteel

Post by Vintagesteel »

So here's what I came up with. I rigged my edge pro to follow the original bevel angle and started whittling away at it. I went to 600 grit and polished with some bark river compound on a piece of leather. Now I just need to sharpen the final edge bevel and knock the high spots off the scales. Just not sure what angle to sharpen at for this type of knife, need to do some research. Also a pic of the kabar replacement sheath, found it on Amazon $10 it's actually pretty decent
Attachments
1477275244736-1952950618.jpg
1477275335891-1496395596.jpg
1477275579082-916603976.jpg
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Very nice knives. Good work knives. ::tu::
Joe
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Very cool
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

That came out real nice! ::tu::
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Nice job . They are great Knifes for the outdoors or the Kitchen.
Keep Near the Cross.
Vintagesteel

Post by Vintagesteel »

Thanks fellas! I'm happy with it overall, this is the first one I've done so there's a couple mistakes but it'll be a good user. Now I need to figure out how to stitch leather and make a sheath I've been thinking about a back pocket sheath but we'll see
Vintagesteel

Post by Vintagesteel »

Here it is finished! I love how sharp I can get this carbon steel. Thank you all for your encouragement and kind words, what a great group of folks I'm proud to be a member of aapk
Attachments
14778641296932028037457.jpg
1477864172547365925348.jpg
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Looks great. I especially like how you finished out the handle. That looks like one durable knife. Now just don't let it rust. ::tu::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”