giraffe bone scales

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
knives-are-quiet

giraffe bone scales

Post by knives-are-quiet »

Anyone know how durable giraffe bone is?
I have a vintage carbon steel French Chef's knife I have been working on.
I have my eye on a nice set of giraffe bone scales I'd like to put on this knife.
I just wanted to know anyone's experience with this material.
I see a lot of collectable knives with this type of bone and they are nice to look at but how does this bone stand up against use?
Any info would be appreciated.
FRJ

Re: giraffe bone scales

Post by FRJ »

knives-are-quiet, I don't know how durable giraffe bone is. I bought some a good while back to put on a knife. Seems like it was kind of off white and lightly mottled. Not a bad look, but I believe I paid extra because it was giraffe and decided I wouldn't do that again.
I don't know how much more, but it was that and who would know and what difference would it make. I thought plain old bovine bone was a straighter line to a good white cover.
I love old French kitchen knives. Would love to see a picture of yours, before and after. ::tu::
Joe
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

While I have no giraffe bone knives as of yet, I know a few people who have custom or high-end knives made with those handles and the judgment all seems to be that it's a durable material for a knife handle but it might be a bit of a pain to dye "properly". A giraffe is a very large creature and its bone density is appropriate for an animal of its mass, but I suspect that might wreak some havoc on the porousness that smaller animals like camels or cows exhibit in their bone matter, the reason different animal bones "take" dye differently.

If anyone wants to send me a giraffe-handled knife for scientific research purposes I would be amenable. ::tu:: :mrgreen:
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I have rehandled a lot of knives in giraffe bone.
I think it is a little more dense than bovine (cow) bone. The bone I understand is from the fore legs of the giraffe and is some of the densest animal bone from the animal kingdom.
The way the bone takes the dye is unique and has an unique look to it that I and many people find appealing.
It does generally command a higher price than bovine bone.

It is no more difficult to work with than cow bone, in fact I think it is easier to work with.
I don't think I have ever had a giraffe bone break when I was working on it, unlike bovine bone.

That is my 2¢ worth.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Good to know, Dale. ::tu::

It sure does end up looking pretty amazing. I believe some of the Arno Bernard fixed hunters come in giraffe bone and they are some beautiful blades.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Giraffe bone is a favorite of mine to the extent of specifying it on a custom knife or two. But since these were not users I can't speak to their practical durability/utility. I have never encountered or heard any reservations about the product. I think Dales's (Orvet's) extensive experience provides the best assessment. Sure are pretty.
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

If I was going to use giraffe bone, I would buy it already dyed, that way you know what it will look like. Any kind of animal bone does not dye the same way twice, just the nature of the beast. I have used a lot of it on my fixed blade knives and have not had any complaints of it not holding up. It is the most dense bone around, the only thing close to it is whale bone (as far as density). I bought a whole leg bone one time, and cut it up into scales, it was not dried! and took forever to dry, won't do that again! And it stinks when cutting! If it is good and dry, it is good material and beautiful when finished. No problem with durability. ::handshake:: Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

Here is one I made back in 2011 with black giraffe bone and homemade Damascus blade.
Attachments
cable giraffe bone 346 002.JPG
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

terry: That is a really striking looking knife. Congrats. ::tu:: ::tu::
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Here is a Schrade Barlow that Dale rehandled in giraffe bone.
Attachments
20160108_140504(1).jpg
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
knives-are-quiet

Thanks knife people.
Here is an old post about the chef knife in question.
It is an old stock Sabatier knife from late 1800's to early 1900's .

http://allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_f ... 19&t=49257

I have been using the knife occasionally in the kitchen without a handle and it performs very well.
The knife still needs a little finish work but it is an excellent kitchen knife.
The giraffe scales that I am thinking of purchasing are already dyed and are for sale at a reasonable price.
They are the only set I can find that will fit.
The handle on this knife is more than 5 inches long.

(this is a picture of the scales I am considering buying)
Untitled.jpg
I just wanted others opinions on the material before deciding to buy.
I use most of my knives. The only ones I don't are very old and would be dangerous if used.
Looks like I will probably purchase the bone and see how it holds up.
I don't submerge any carbon steel blade in dish water or put in dishwasher.
I just rinse and wipe dry.
I am just concerned about the handles absorbing any liquid from use "food liquid from my hands" .
Are the scales porous and absorb liquids?
Or are the scales infused with resins ?
I have never handled giraffe bone.

I will post pictures in a few weeks or so when I finish it.

Thanks again~
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Another unique looking is camel bone. It takes the dye differently than giraffe bone and I imagine the durability is close to that of giraffe bone. I know Q.S. likes camel bone too.

I get tired of the same look of cow bone and I like the different look giraffe and camel bone has when used as knife handles.

As far as the bone absorbing moisture, I wouldn't worry, though I would attach the handles with epoxy and then pin them. The reason for the epoxy is to seal the back side of the handles so moisture doesn't get behind the scales. This is especially important with old carbon steel.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
knives-are-quiet

Thanks Dale~
I value your opinion and experience.

I always use glue when I pin scales.
I also plan on using plastic colored liners in between the scales and tang that will help with any moisture also.
If the scales are not infused with resins I can use wax to help with any moisture too.
But from research these scales seem dense enough for the purpose I want them for plus give the knife a nice look.

I don't work on knives as much as I used to.
Maybe a few hours a week so I don't know how long it will take to finish this one but I will post when finished.
I also have to wait a week or two to get the scales in the mail.

Thanks for your advice..........
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

orvet wrote:Another unique looking is camel bone. It takes the dye differently than giraffe bone and I imagine the durability is close to that of giraffe bone. I know Q.S. likes camel bone too.
Count me among the fans of camel bone on knives. I only have a few but I love all of 'em and carry them as regularly as possible. The dye patterns are unique and fantastic, and they all make the best worry stones.
29939731883_2b41e27ae6_k.jpg
30537239176_123451e6a7_k.jpg
30456660952_450552ab1a_k.jpg
29942009064_9924ac731b_k.jpg
Incidentally, I have another CFK Bushcraft inbound, drop point in blue camel bone. :mrgreen: Should have it within the week. ::ds::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Is the cost of camel bone significantly higher than bovine bone ?
kj
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

kootenay joe wrote:Is the cost of camel bone significantly higher than bovine bone ?
Can't speak to the wholesale market but the knives do not seem to be more expensive than bovine bone knives. Maybe a little rarer, but that is just speculation.
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
knives-are-quiet

They are more expensive.
I can get the same size 5 1/4" x 1 1/2" X 1/2" of cow bone for less than 10 bucks per pair.
These giraffe scales dyed are a little more than 40 dollars for the same size. And these were cheap "on sale".
Most of the larger scales made of giraffe are in the 70 to 80 dollar range.
They need to be imported too which I'm sure cost more and involve some sort of tax also.
This was the only size I could find that fit this knife's handle.
I received them the other day and they are nice.
The scales are dyed and any voids are filled with resin.
The scales are very dense and smooth.
The blade is almost finished but I'm going away for a few days and won't be starting the handle application till I get back.
I will take photos and post.
just bob

Post by just bob »

Camel bone is cheap. Want to buy some?

http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... 54&t=49563
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”