2001 w r case knives made in germany

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
olderdogs1

2001 w r case knives made in germany

Post by olderdogs1 »

I was at a pawn shop today where I saw some w r case knives with bone handles, most of them lockbacks, that had green boxes marked 2001.the knives had A little stamp on the tang that said Solingen, Germany they had 440c blades.
What are these and what are they worth? Any help appreciated. I am trying to help the pawn shop price them.

Tom
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: 2001 w r case knives made in germany

Post by peanut740 »

Tom the only recently made German Case knives I know of are the one's Parker had made around 1989 or 90.I know there were a doctor's knife in 2 or 3 handle materials and I think something else but I don't remember what they were.
Roger
just bob

Post by just bob »

“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
hardman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by hardman »

I am somewhat familiar with these knives. I believe the ones from the 2000 - 2001 time frame were actually made by Boker. In fact, Boker still makes some of the big Lockbacks that look amazingly similar. They were a very temporary experiment by Case. The ones I have came in a brownish red box. They do not follow the tang stamp dating convention used by Case. There were several different models of Lockbacks, a barehead Doctor's knife, what I call a Fish Tail (some call it a Bowtie), and a Lady Leg. Possibly others. I have a couple of the Lockbacks in green bone. Very well made. I have also seen some handled in stag, imitation tortoise shell celluloid, and even Mother of Pearl.

There is a two bladed large folding hunter Lockback with a saw blade that can go for big $$$ when it carries the Case XX shield.
Gary

"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." Bryan Adams
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

Thanks guys,
Any ideas on how the shop should price them?

Tom
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

The Solingen Case knives made circa 2001 were indeed made by Boker. I have no idea who made the straight razors. The image here shows the range of knives and razors made.
Case Solingen Knives 2001.jpg
The other ones, the traditional slipjoints (doctor's, lobster. leg knife) were made by Olbertz when Parker owned Case circa 1989-1990. These knives all had pearl or celluloid handles.

Tom, you should look at completed Ebay auctions - the 2001 era Solingen knives have become highly sought after and the prices are higher than you might expect.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

Thanks Steve,
I tried to search eBay and found nothing in completed sales after several searches. Is there a range as far as price goes? Any idea what they sold for in 2001?
Trying to help the shop as far as pricing goes. Going to be hard for them to sell if so little information is out there.
Thanks for any help.

Tom
hardman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by hardman »

You probably saw that the Thuya Wood and Green Bone Lockbacks shown in the BIN listings start at about $200. Same with the more traditional looking Stag Lockback. The two blade Lockback Folding Hunter with saw (both blades lock) often lists for over $300.

The problem is that not many of these come up for sale. I think I have seen several of the ones currently for sale re-listed several times. So even fewer sell. That's why you don't see any listed in the "Sold" listings. They do sell, but it may have been some time ago.

Sorry. I realize I have not been much help.
Gary

"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." Bryan Adams
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

Hardman, .you have been a great help. Thanks to everyone that responded. Definitely unusual knives that are not well known to the general knife community.

Tom
tallguy606

Post by tallguy606 »

I bought a Case marked Solingen Germany a couple years ago from Ebay. It looked like a miniature Buck 110. I collect Bokers and this one did not resemble any Boker I have seen.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”