USA or Germany?

Boker specific research and history discussions, Questions & answers, Picture sharing
cody6268

USA or Germany?

Post by cody6268 »

Recently, I was looking through the AAPK store and came across something odd, a "BOKER USA" stamped electricians' knife that had "MADE IN GERMANY" etched on the blade. I too have one in roughly the same shape, but don't see any remnants of an etch, but I did see a rectangular outline on the blade.

So would mine be American made, or German?

Link to item referred to:

http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/aap ... re_id=1021
Captain O

Re: USA or Germany?

Post by Captain O »

I'll go out on a limb and venture to say that the blade(s) were manufactured in Germany. I'd also bet that It could have been issued to a man/woman in the US Armed Services. (I ought to know, I used one while working on US Navy aircraft). if it was made by either Boker USA, or, as this sample was, in Solingen, Germany, it's manufactured from 440C Stainless Steel. (Military specifications). Polished and cleaned properly, it would likely outwork/outlast us all.

Take it from an "old salt" these knives are workhorses suited for duty anywhere in the world. If they weren't, all the branches of the US Armed Forces wouldn't issue them "as needed". I'm certain that they do so to this very day.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Captain O wrote:I'll go out on a limb and venture to say that the blade(s) were manufactured in Germany. I'd also bet that It could have been issued to a man/woman in the US Armed Services. (I ought to know, I used one while working on US Navy aircraft). if it was made by either Boker USA, or, as this sample was, in Solingen, Germany, it's manufactured from 440C Stainless Steel. (Military specifications). Polished and cleaned properly, it would likely outwork/outlast us all.

Take it from an "old salt" these knives are workhorses suited for duty anywhere in the world. If they weren't, all the branches of the US Armed Forces wouldn't issue them "as needed". I'm certain that they do so to this very day.
Captain O, I'll go out on a limb and welcome you to AAPK. Glad to have you aboard. Grab a rack, stow your gear, get some chow and get ready for mid-watch.

It would be appreciated if you would drop by the "Veterans" thread and tell us a little about your life as a Squid (years of service, duty stations [or ships you served on], your rating, etc). ---> http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... 21&t=15172

In the meantime, you can hang with Ferg (fergusontd ), conslade, Mel (Dinadan), Doug (dweb1897), glenn, Greg (griz1200), Squirrel (ROCKY1122) [he's a SeaBee so he's almost a Marine but don't let that bother you] and all the other Dixie Cups.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

When BOKER USA ceased making knives in 1983, they had a stockpile of blades that had already been stamped.
These were sold/sent to Boker's factory in Solingen. The knives were then assembled and acid etched with the "Germany" blade etching.
You will see many examples of this having been done on Boker knives made in the mid to late 1980s.
I think it is pretty cool, though a sad reminder of yet another old US knife maker having fell under the weight of too many corporate buyouts in the 1970s.
Attachments
Boker.JPG
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com

Return to “Boker Knife Collector's Forum”