XX era/Tested era Pinning and everything about it.

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
XxTestedxX

XX era/Tested era Pinning and everything about it.

Post by XxTestedxX »

Looking through many books, I feel like I keep finding conflicting information in regards to pinning and the material on the two era's

Tested era, I see some center pins which appear to "peened" or flattened, some which look more Spun. What is law? Also of these, they show no signs of being taken apart.

I have also seen XX era with a brass center pin and the others being NS, inspecting the knives it shows no signs of manipulation. I heard this was not uncommon. Seems more prevalent in stag handles xx knives.

Yes I know when you see these characteristics they shouldn't just be dismissed, but once who ever is done inspecting the knife is ok to say " Yes this knife is good to go, its no uncommon for these to be as such"

I just don't want to disregard a knife because of these items. I have asked some wise collectors. I often get asked which book am I reading? (I wont say which book out of respect). But often the reply is.. "throw that one away". or something to the extent. I do trust these peoples knowledge.

thanks for all the info, collecting is still fun!!
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: XX era/Tested era Pinning and everything about it.

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I don't stress out over pins, unless they're obviously cobbled up. I can usually (not always - I've been fooled before) tell if a knife is right or not before needing to closely inspect its pins. If there's enough doubt that I would have to analyze whether it should have different pin materials, I'd likely pass on it. That's just the way I look at it.

Others may see it differently, and apparently some do since it's covered in books. Since you posted this in the Case Collectors forum and that's your interest, I recommend Steve Pfeiffers book (he covers pins in it). If someone questions that one, I'd ask them the source of their research, or just ignore them. I'd doubt anyone is more knowledgeable.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
RalphAlsip

Re: XX era/Tested era Pinning and everything about it.

Post by RalphAlsip »

I will pretty much echo what Ken said. If the rest of the knife seems good then I don't worry about the handle pins. If the blades look wrong and / or the bolster pins show or protrude or are sunken, then I also look more closely at the handle pins.

There are two things about handle pins that I am still (too?) neurotic about:

1. Are there the correct number of them
2. Are they in the right places

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”