Printmaker's cabinet

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
keithw

Printmaker's cabinet

Post by keithw »

Hi guys,

I've been looking for a Printmaker's cabinet for several years now, and finally I snagged one. ::ds:: ::ds::
It's not perfect, but it should hold a ton of knives, with a total of 48 drawers.
It's only 42" h x 28 w x 22 deep, so it doesn't take up much room.

I read in a previous post by Lee that he was going to use anti tarnish silver cloth for his drawers.
I read a review on some on Amazon and they recommend that the items sit on a layer, and also use a covering layer.
At $12+ a yard (58" wide) that would cost a mint to do all 48 drawers. ::uc::
Does anyone know of cheaper options?

PS sorry for the orientation of the pic, my camera has a mind of its own.

Thanks!
Attachments
20150727_195817[1].jpg
Keith
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
-- Mike Tyson
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Printmaker's cabinet

Post by Colonel26 »

Wow! That's beautiful, nice snag.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

I'd use felt

Somebody here has one of those tucked inside a gun safe.

If you could do that, you could add a dehumidifier rod.

Great chest. Is it marked Hamilton?

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
junebug

Post by junebug »

:shock: WOW.....VERY,VERY NICE SNAG! 8) ::tu::
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
junebug

Post by junebug »

OH....I LINED MY CHEST (KENNEDY) WITH FELT........

BUT MY NEXT ONE WILL BE LINED IN OLD FLANNEL SHIRTS (yard sale buy - pile of em TOO SMALL for $3) ....CHEAPER FER ME ::nod:: ::tu::
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
singin46

Post by singin46 »

Keith, beautiful cabinet! I would also use / have used felt, works like a champ! ::tu::
Love all Jacks
whitebuffalo58

Post by whitebuffalo58 »

Very nice cabinet!!
file.php.jpg
A little help with the pic.

WB :)
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I think that might be a chest for sheet music or some other form of documents, unless of course, the drawers are stained with printer's ink.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
keithw

Post by keithw »

Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments.

Charlie, you may be right. My wife did most of the cleaning up and she found a tab off of a file folder, so maybe they used it to store documents. There's no ink stains that I found.

Thanks WB, I couldn't get it to rotate. ::facepalm::

I think I will go with felt too.

Thanks again!
Keith
-- Mike Tyson
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

Another option for the drawers is Zerust drawer liners, an anti-corrosion product that is also very "cushiony" and stays put without adhesive. You can find it on Amazon but shop around as the price is quite variable.

Dennis
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Keith - That is one super knife storage cabinet - looks very cool - 48 drawers will hold a lot of knives ::tu::

I'm looking around for prices on anti-tarnish silver cloth but many I have seen online were not too much different than felt in price (at least good felt)- I've seen prices anywhere from $12-$24 a square yd - than again I don't have as many drawers as you :D. I'll let you know when I find some decent prices for a good anti-tarnish cloth product... the idea for the anti-tarnish cloth came from some curator websites where it was recommended as a better alternative to felt as it was clearly noted good felt which is wool draws moisture - and some felt is not dye-fast to boot! I think I also saw something about throwing a sheet of anti-tarnish cloth over the top as well but it was in reference to silverware. Not sure I will get that nuts about it - just want a nice stable base material at this point.

The anti-tarnish cloth is interesting but there is also a product called anti-tarnish strips (not too expensive if I remember right) which supposedly suck up tarnishing gases which are acidic in nature 8). That is interesting and got me thinking about celluloid - and while I would never store celluloid handled knives with any others and don't normally buy them unless they say "Hey Mr - Take me home - I'm a cool knife pattern by a good maker and cheap too" :wink:)... I have maybe 5 celluloid knives. Anyway I just wonder if celluloid acidic off-gassing would be sucked up by anti-tarnishing strips?? ... hmnnn... be interesting to try it for celluloid knife storage. Can anti-tarnishing strips slow or prevent deterioration of a celluloid knife... could be a break-through for those who have lots of celluloid knives - anyone want to try it on a celluloid knife showing out-gassing??? ::nod:: On the other hand I would think someone may have thought of this before but who knows - just don't think they understand anything about celluloid other than self-destruction and outgassing is unpredictable and that cool, dark environments may be important to slow or prevent it... I think anti-tarnish strips may be worth a try for the celluloid problem but a tough experiment to properly control...

Lee

Post by singin46 »

I would doubt they would be any match for those toxic properties held within the celluloid handles. I know, I own several dozen. But a worthy test might be in order. Say locking one up, by itself for like 6 months, just to try it. ::shrug::
Love all Jacks
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Outstanding piece, Keith! That's an item I would love to have, the ones I have seen were priced way out of my budget.
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Does anyone know what effect these anti-rust or anti-tarnish liners might have on celluloid?

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Charlie - do you mean effect of anti-tarnish strips on the celluloid material or what I was alluding to - preservation of celluloid handle knives? I did find this morning that folks who collect old celluloid writing pens recommend these anti-tarnish strips for storage and they mention these strips sucking up sulfuric fumes or gas... Sulfuric acid is the culprit in self destruction of celluloid items but I'm sure you know that already! Since celluloid was the plastic of the past for lots of collectable items it is of a concern to many.. So I wonder how many knife maker workshops or makers of any celluloid items had fires which were due to the flammability of the material.. This last point is a abit off topic but I can't imagine they didn't realize this long ago!!

Sorry Keith as I don't mean to change this thread to a celluloid discussion as this was supposed to be about that cool knife cabinet!! We can start another thread on celluloid but I found a few from the past already, just none which discuss anti- tarnish strips.. just let me know..

Lee

Post by keithw »

No problem Lee,

I was most curious about the tarnish cloth and strips.
That's what posts are supposed to do, start at one spot and go where the discussion takes it.
Keith
-- Mike Tyson
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Hey Keith - ::tu:: ::tu::

Check this link - though on celluloid writing pens - last paragraph before the end note.. http://www.vintagepens.com/FAQcollectin ... tion.shtml

Hope the link works...

Lee
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Beautiful. It would cost a small fortune to fill that up with knives but oh what a project and challenge it would be.
Attachments
file_php.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “General Knife Discussion”