Bay Area Knife Sources

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Bay Area Knife Sources

Post by deo-pa »

I'll be visiting the SF Bay Area in late August and wonder if anyone has any collectible knife source recommendations. I'm aware of a number of conventional cutlery stores, but my interest is older pocket knives (say pre 1960s) rather than modern Case, GEC, etc.

I'll be based in Hayward but will hit most parts of the Bay Area while I'm there. For that matter, are there any AAPK members who might like to meet up who might have items for sale? You won't get rich off of me; my knife budget for the trip is $300 + or -).

Any knife clubs meeting during the week of 8/22 - 8/29? Thanks,

Dennis
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Bay Area Knife Sources

Post by orvet »

Sorry Dennis, I can't help you with your questions, however I would caution you to check the local knife laws while in the California. I would be concerned with CA state laws, county laws and the city laws. SF is a beautiful city, but it is very different when it comes to things like common sense about knives.

I do believe there is 3" maximum length for any blade you carry in your pocket in the city of SF, but I suggest you confirm that and other info before you go there. It would be terrible to get a favorite knife confiscated by an over zealous member of the law enforcement community, and even worse to spend all your knife budget on a fine! ::dang::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

Thanks Dale. Other than having to mail my knives home because I'm flying, the issue of blade length never occurred to me. How come San Francisco is a sanctuary city for illegal aliens but not for knife collectors? :x

Dennis
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

deo-pa wrote:Thanks Dale. How come San Francisco is a sanctuary city for illegal aliens but not for knife collectors? :x

Dennis
That my friend is the $65 million question! :D ... :shock: ... ::barf::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
MITCH RAPP

Post by MITCH RAPP »

8) Yeh! What Dale said. And be sure to watch out for this Guy! :mrgreen:
Attachments
san-francisco-california-funny-gun-oldie-pie-movie-funny-hum-demotivational-poster-1255131982.jpg
MITCH

"So far,So good...So What!" - Johnnie Samples
cbfd

Post by cbfd »

There is a lot more than ONE of THEM out there.
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

Watch out I will Mitch... if I see him I'll run. Per Dale, isn't there some law in SF that says the forks on a trident can't be more than 3" long? I think this guy should be busted. Just my luck I'll get arrested for a knife with a 3-1/2" blade and have to share a cell with him. ::teary_eyes::
junebug

Post by junebug »

cbfd wrote:There is a lot more than ONE of THEM out there.

HET....!!!! I RESEMBLE "THAT" COMMENT. ::paranoid:: ::super_happy::

DEO -

I KNOW OF NO PLACE IN CALI, THAT YOU SPEAK OF OTHER THAN ANTIQUE OR SECOND HAND THRIFT STORES.

THERE IS A bay area KNIFE CLUB IN SAN JOSE I THINK?????? ALMOST POSITIVE ::nod::

I HAVE FOUND SEVERAL KNIVES WHEN I AM UP NORTH, BY ANTIQUE STORES. ::tu::
I HAVE ALSO FOUND 2 ON CRAIGSLIST, WHILE I WAS IN THE AREA I JUST CALLED AND MET THE PPL OFF THE FREEWAY AT A LAND MARK ME AGREED ON........ ::tu:: BEST DEALS IMPO ::nod::

I WOULD MEET UP WITH YA, BUT FRISCO IS A 300 MILE DRIVE FER ME FROM VISALIA........

FRISCO KNIFE ORD VID : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn_YXDE9Yls
just under a minute in.... ::tu::
under 3" blade, no full auto - assist is ok....fixed ok........
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
junebug

Post by junebug »

ALSO....... FOR WHAT EVER ITS WORTH.....
I HAVE BEEN TO FRISCO A 101+ TIMES.........
I HAVE NEVER, EVER...WORRIED ABOUT THEIR LOCAL KNIFE LAWS...... ::paranoid:: ::super_happy::

CALIF STATE LAW = NO LENGTH LAW , EVEN ON FIXED BLADES, AND EVEN FULL AUTO IS LEGAL, BUT WITH ONLY A 2" BLADE, THAT IS THE "ONLY" LAW I PERSONALLY GO BY.......IF FULL AUTO NO BLADE OVER 2" CARRIED IN PUBLIC....HOME YES! ::nod::
FIXED BLADE MUST ME IN SHEATH AND FULLY VISIBLE!!! - NO LENGTH LAW
FOLDING KNIVES = CAN NOT BE CONCEALED!!!! = POCKET IS NOT CONCEALED, CLIPPED IN PANTS OR POCKET ARE NOT CONCEALED.................. HIDDEN IN A BOOT IS! SHOVED DOWN YER PANTS,YEP CONCEALED
NORMAL CARRY....YER ALL GOOD IN DA HOOD! ::super_happy:: ::tu::
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

I don't want to turn this into a political thread(which could easily happen)so I won't mention the former Speaker of the House or her idiot nephew but I think that is part of the problem.
As for the knife laws: I seem to remember reading some years ago in one of the knife publications about California's strange knife laws.These may have changed recently but I doubt it.
The example quoted was about switchblade knives versus similar but non-auto lock blade knives. As Bug stated switchblades are legal to possess as long as the blade length does not exceed two inches.I don't know if the determination of how to measure the blade length was ever resolved;whether it was edge length or overall length.Not pertinent to this discussion.
What the discussion revolved around was possession of an Italian style switchblade over two inches versus a similar knife such as the Kissing Crane knives made famous by OJ. And this is where it gets weird.
Possession of a switchblade of this type is considered a misdemeanor but possession of a non switchblade of this type is a FELONY! Apparently the reason for this is that the knives fall under two different laws:The auto under the Switchblade Act and the other under the Dirk and Dagger Law.
There is a website out there(I don't have the name at the moment)that covers knife laws in all 50 states.I would suggest everyone on this forum read up on the laws of their state and any that they may be going to.I think it might be run by the American Toll & Knife Institute.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
junebug

Post by junebug »

YES, DEF CHECK THE "CITY/COUNTY" LAWS AND GO BY THAT....... ::nod:: ::tu::

I WAS BORN AND RAISED HERE( CENTRAL CALI) ..... I GO BY CALIF STATE LAWS.....THATS JUST ME,AND MY LOCAL SHERIFF SUPPORTS THAT,AND STATE LAWS,NOT LAME "CITY TO CITY" REGULATIONS....... THANK GOODNESS ::super_happy:: ::tu::

AND 'ROUND HERE....... SWITCHBLADE OVER 2" IS A FELONY - NO IF'S , AND'S, OR BUT'S !!!!! ::mdm:: :shock:
LOCAL COPPERS GO BY - BLADE LENGTH - NOT CUTTING EDGE!!!!!
- Junebug 2016
MITCH RAPP

Post by MITCH RAPP »

8) California has some really confusing and convoluted knife laws, just like everything else here in our State. Here is a web site that somewhat explains the laws and the penalties. And the defense of said laws.

http://www.shouselaw.com/possession-switchblade.html
MITCH

"So far,So good...So What!" - Johnnie Samples

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”