Tested Case Stag Stockman????????????

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Tested Case Stag Stockman????????????

Post by btrwtr »

Here is a very obvious fake Case Tested stockman. The seller claims it was authenticated by the Case historian. I don't doubt this as I realize that often people that hold such positions do not necessarily have the experience needed to detect such fakes.

If this knife were real I am sure there would be collectors that would pay the $550 asking price. It's not real but I am afraid there may be someone that doesn't know better that may actually buy it. After all, we just saw a fake Case Tested trapper sell for $895 on eBay.

Blades appear to be stainless steel.

All too familiar counterfeit long pull blade with fake stamp.

New stag.

Bomb shield? Have you ever seen a bomb shield on an authentic Case Tested stockman knife? I have not.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Case-Tested-XX- ... 2802dad71e

Wayne
Attachments
test a.jpg
test b.jpg
test c.jpg
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Tested Case Stag Stockman????????????

Post by djknife13 »

I love this thread. I wasn't in any danger of being taken on this EBay offer because I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a knife unless I was really convinced it was right and really wanted the pattern, but I don't think I would have seen red flags on the stamping on this knife. The stag does look too new and I have no idea which knives Case put raised letter bomb shields on, but my reference books list a Case tested 47 pattern with stag and a long pull so all this is really good education for me. Thanks. ___Dave
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

Actually the stamp looks pretty good to me what I can see of it. Definitely looks like the wrong stag, "recently put on" and I have never seen that shield on a Tested 47. Case may have used that shield on tested 47's but I have never seen it on any I own or have handled.

Tom
jlw257

Post by jlw257 »

Tom is right about the knife being re handle with newer looking stag, and I've never seen that shield on a 47. I compare the tang stamp to the ones on my Tested 47s, and it looks real.

Larry
Larry W

Happiness is looking for XX Case Red Stag Knives
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Just my opinion...

There are some pretty authentic looking fake stamps out there just like there are some poor looking TESTED and previous era stamps that are totally authentic that are less than perfect. Before I judge that stamp either way, I would like to see a pic of the knife, main blade open looking down on the tang where it meets the back spring. My guess would be be shaved, tang width less than back spring width. But that is of little concern when the rest of the knife is read.

Yes newer stag. I have only seen the bomb shield predominantly on larger knives like a swing guard, Saddlehorn, 51 Single blade Hobo (or Banana Trapper as some call them) etc. Could be wrong on where else they used them.

The knife was apart to re-handle it so the blade could easily have been swapped or stamped. The bomb shield is the icing on the cake. The cherry on top is authenticated by CASE. If a CASE Historian called that knife authentic, CASE has big problems.

Maybe I am wrong on all of the above, no expert here but that is what I see and think.

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

There are a lot of fake Tested stag and bone 47 patterns out there that I believe were made up out of Utica/Kutmaster parts.

This knife though is a bit different - IMO it looks like a real Case Tested 47 long pull, heavily cleaned/buffed and rehandled in stag with a (not original) bomb shield installed.

To me the blades look like real Case blades, and the stamp looks good.

I will say that (other than the shield) the stag handles have the appearance of Tested era stag.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

I do not have a Case Tested stag 47 pattern to compare this knife to but I have seen 2 similar stag 47 pattern knives with fake Tested blades sell recently on eBay. I have seen a number of counterfeit long pull tested 47 blades and do think the original post knife's master could be from the same crop of fakes.

Here are pictures of 3 Case Tested green bone 47's I have along with pictures of 2 recent fake sales from one of eBay's finest.

The 2 recently sold stag 47's had handles that were not nearly as believable as the original post knife. At least they didn't put a bomb shield on them. All the blades had Tested stamps. They both sold for $185 plus shipping.

Wayne
Attachments
DSC08987.JPG
DSC08995.JPG
DSC08997.JPG
gg47a.jpg
gg47b.JPG
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”